Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
Leaking Grey Tank

I have an 09 3075 and find the grey water kitchen tank is leaking just under the lip at the top corner. After taking the belly pad off (and getting soaked) I find that there is no brace on the underside of this tank! The two front tanks are braced. I will fit a brace to each end before I try to patch it. My question is if I have to drop the tank and replace it will the drain pipe from the sink simply slide out of a rubber cuff as the tank is lowered straight down? The drain seems to go straight down into the tank but there is no way I can see where it enters the tank without cutting a large hole in the floor. Any help would be welcome. The tank is manufactured by Ameri-Kart and the model # is HT541-1.

berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
Larry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8173
Possibily. It is more likely that the worker just used a sealent to fill in the cut-out. IMO, this token practice works fine as long as you never put any liquids/weight in the tanks.
Here again, common sense tells you that an unsupported plastic tank, filled with 40 gallons (320 lbs.) of water will not stay in the same place for long. When it moves, the sealant will break and the tank will leak.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:52 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Not sure what you mean by braced. Unless Lippert has changed the design of the frame used by Montana we were told that these tanks can not be properly strapped as per the tank manufacturers recommendations. When ours were replaced in Sept the repair facility put support under and across across the tanks for support.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:02 AM   #4
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
There have have been reports the straps have rubbed holes in the tank, as they did to mine.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The repair facility said the design of the frame on the Montana did not allow strapping as the tank sat to high in the frame.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Rich is right none of the 3 in my 06 were braced. Mine also had a solid neck in the top spun welded in the tank. I cut the pipe and put a rubber no hub band back after they were repaired had 2 to leak. But I did fab a brace under them covered with 1" flat armoflex to protect them no problem since. IIRC mine were made by STAR products? good luck.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:51 AM   #7
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

The repair facility said the design of the frame on the Montana did not allow strapping as the tank sat to high in the frame.
Rich, no strapping??? So what holds these things in place? Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:02 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Quote:

Ours are sitting on the cross members, supported only by the flange on both sides of the tanks. I asked my dealer about strapping and the tech didn't feel that it was really necessary since the tanks are pretty well wedged in place. However, my feelings are that there is too much weight being placed on the flange around the top of the tank. This causes the crack near the top next to the flange. I could be wrong because I'm not anywhere near being knowledgeable about mechanical stress on items.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:26 AM   #9
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Quote:

Ours are sitting on the cross members, supported only by the flange on both sides of the tanks. I asked my dealer about strapping and the tech didn't feel that it was really necessary since the tanks are pretty well wedged in place. However, my feelings are that there is too much weight being placed on the flange around the top of the tank. This causes the crack near the top next to the flange. I could be wrong because I'm not anywhere near being knowledgeable about mechanical stress on items.

Orv
Thanks Orv...another thing to worry about! Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:47 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Like Orv said. IMO if one travels with full or near full tanks that puts added stress on the tank. the tank not installed exactly right also caused stress in the inlet area causeing cracks.
My first defective black tank had a imperfection in a seam about half way down the rear. The second black tank was not installed correctly by the installing dealer and caused stress at the inlet. The gray tank was split along the side, It was in contact with nothing and nothing could have hit it. Suspected imperfection that got worse over time till it leaked.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
You may want to see the post just made by rlwhit about his tank problem. The leak thing is enough to drive anyone nuts! They are just so frustrating.

Good luck.
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote