Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
cgaskins
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10861
hydrolic fluid leak....

Guys,

I need some advice. I have a 2007 Keystone Montana 3400RL. I have had it for about 2 months. I have been out twice in it and all was good. This past weekend when we took it out, I noticed that hydrolic fluid had leaked into the pan beneath the pump.

I stood watch over the pump while my wife pulled the slides in then fully extended them. I never once saw a leak or spurt. However, with the slides pulled in, the hydrolic fluid tank is about a 1/2 inch lower than it was when I bought the rig.

So how do I find the source of the leak? Suggestions.....

Regards,
Chris

cgaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
There is a reservoir tank mounted with four bolts to the pump. The magic seal for this contraption is an O ring. I have been trying to get a O ring to seal and hold for more than 6 months for the last four years. I now keep a paper towel on the tray and change it every few days. A roll of paper towels and a quart of WallMart ATF is a lot cheaper than having the seals replaced every few months. I hope you have better luck with yours than I have with mine.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
When I first bought our unit I Filled the reservoir as the directions said. It was a cold day and all went well for a while until the weather warmed, then I noticed the tray was full of hydraulic fluid. I mopped it out of the tray and have never had another problem with leaking. I think when the oil warmed it expanded and overflowed. I now keep it a little lower than what they say to allow for expansion. This may also be your problem. Good luck and just keep a check to make sure it does not get lower.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Chris, as mentioned we too have the '07 3400. As yet (knock on wood) we have not had a hydraulic leak. However, others have mentioned that at times, the plastic housing that holds the fluid can leak where it is attached to the pump. I believe there is a "o-ring" there? Also, it didn't happen to be overfilled and blew it out the top when the slides retracted, did it? Other then that, the leak could be several places. But, since you said you found oil in the pan under the pump, I would suspect the plastic housing seal first. It doesn't always leak, so it may take a few trys to find it if that is where it's coming from. The other possibility would be one of the fittings on the pump distribution header COULD be loose/cracked, and be leaking fluid, but again, not all the time. Kind of like water leaks, sometimes hydraulic ones can be hard too. At least the "evidence" stays behind a lot longer........
Hope this helps, at least a little bit.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
cgaskins
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10861
Thanks guys for the information. I really appreciate it. I think for now I will mop everything up and mark the fluid level on the tank and keep an eye on it. (Plus put a can of fluid in the camper for emergencies...)

Is there a specific type of hydrolic fluid that I need?

Thanks,
Chris
cgaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Chris check out the thread on Hydraulic Fluid under the Maintenance section of MOC on MARS. It will tell you exactly what to use and keep in your unit! Read MIMF's comment especially since he is "The Man" when it comes to slides an the hydraulics for them! Good luck and keep us posted on your unit and leak!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #7
ljensen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8384
DO any of you think tranny fluid with stop leak may help those with a very small seal leak. I believe it is suppose to swell up the seal. What would it hurt to try it.
ljensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:50 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ljensen

DO any of you think tranny fluid with stop leak may help those with a very small seal leak. I believe it is suppose to swell up the seal. What would it hurt to try it.
I'm thinking probably not. I believe it works via the heat generated by the transmission, and these systems don't generate heat - at least nothing near what a transmission does.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
It is just a bogus setup. The reservior should be mounted on the tray and they should use a hose to move the fluid in and out of the tank. That transfer hose wouldn't even have to hold any pressure as that is from the pump to the cylinders.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:20 AM   #10
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
I have the same problem so I call Lippert ? who ever makes it they told me the pump (o-ring) has a 5 YEAR WARRANTY I'm talking mind in next week to have the pump replaced for free, to solve my leaking O-RING problem. You might call them. Hope this helps. Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote