Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
kenandjudy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10640
HELP just bought 1st RV

We were at the Hershey show and decided on a montana 3455 after many trips between models. Made a good deal which my local dealer matched.
This is my first RV what do I do now. The dealer has the unit and will add a few options we wanted. I am open to all and any advice. The dealer will also install the superglide hitch. Ken

kenandjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Congratulations!!

Now you can start buying things for it. You should concentrate on buying and storing everything you'll need in the rig so you don't accidently forget anything - from dishes and coffee maker to tools. The list can be long so if you want help just ask. You'll be glad the rig is self sufficient but don't go too overboard.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Good choice with the Montana.
If I may suggest, use the "Search" feature in the upper right corner of this page and look for postings on the things you want to know about. You'll be reading for months!!!
Also, ask any specific questions and you will get answers from people who are "doing it."
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
We stocked the unit like Art stated above. That way when we wanted to go somewhere all we had to do was to fill the refridgerator.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Don't forget to look for the PDI list on this site, study it and take it with when you pick up the unit. This was mentioned in your previous post if you have questions about the pdi. If you have a chance to look at the unit again before the actual delievery day start doing your PDI then. I found it easier then since I was in no rush than on actual delevery day. I mentioned things I found so they had them fixed when I checked again on delevery day,

We love our montana and 5th wheel camping. We had camped most of our lives starting in tents, to pop ups trailers and final our Montana. Good luck and enjoy.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Congratulations on your new rig. Now just relax and start making out a list of what you will need. Then go on a short trip and make a new list of all the things you forgot on the first list. Don't worry, it will all come together for you, just enjoy it.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
The Superglide is a great investment if you have a short bed truck. You'll be glad you bought it. As others have said, download the PDI checklist here and use it to inspect the RV BEFORE the delivery date. That way you can give the dealer a "fix it" list to be accomplished BEFORE delivery. Until you hand over the check YOU have the power ... after ... you have to rely on their service commitment to get your issues resolved. We gave our dealer 2 things to fix and they were not done when we went to take delivery ... we almost walked away from the deal.
You are making a HUGE investment ... may I suggest an electrical management system (EMS) by Progressive Industries? You can go either hard wired or portable. Whatever you think will work best for you. You are paying big $$$$ for your RV ... this is relatively cheap protection.
Whatever you do, enjoy your new Montana and use it every chance you get. Welcome to the forum!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:59 AM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I agree with CORattler. The first and most importent thing you need to get is surge protection and I see from your signature that you have done that already. There are way too many things that can be damaged from bad campground electric. Enjoy your new home on wheels.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:09 AM   #9
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
We agree with what others have stated, the easier it is to use the more useful it will be. We we go camping we simply load our clothes and food, the rest stays in the rig.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #10
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
We do the same. Even leave a few extra clothes in the trailer.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote