Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2007, 11:09 AM   #41
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Well, I guess we lost Dave in the discussion. Anyway for those of us raised prior to the 70's if you recall our parents - if they bought any thing had to pay cash - very little credit. I remember if you wanted to buy a car you had to have a minimum of 25% down. No credit cards thus my values was that if I wanted something I had to go to work and earn the money - and wait till I could pay for it in full. Thus I valued my possessions and took very good care of them. Now fast forward to today's generation that is entering the workforce. At a recent leadership meeting we called them the "X-Box" generation. I work in a heavy labor intensive job and we have trouble keeping the young people on the job. They have never had to work for anything - their parents usually gave them anything they wanted, and most of their challenges came from pushing keys on a computer - which they are very good at. Even though we pay top scale money (I'm in the freight business)the younger people thinks the work is too hard for them and go looking elsewhere. So back to the Millieums - with all the Baby Boomers reaching retirement - there is going to be a shortage of replacements. You might even see companies offering Baby Boomers part time employment, consulting jobs or other creative ways to keep them involved - they are worried about the "Brain Drain."

indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:10 PM   #42
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Phill,
I am still here! Being born in 1979 I am of Generation Y and have a few different opinions and methods of doing things. None the less I was sure enjoying all of the input from those who have posted...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:03 AM   #43
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
I finally read this post this morning. Well, I guess I'm a baby boomer, I was born in 1958. Never thought of myself as one before. Didn't think I was old enough. Hmm. Wow, now my brain is trying to realize this new title I have. lol My dad was 19 years older than my mother and I've always enjoyed being around "older" people my whole life. They always have taught me alot and they're fun to be around. They have great stories to tell. Maybe this is my way of staying young. The only bumper sticker I've ever put on any of my vehicles was on my old Mustang "Young at heart. Other parts slightly older." Very interesting post. If I start on the values thing, it might be the longest single post in Moc history! Love you guys.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:55 AM   #44
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
This is dedicated to

those born 1930-1979
to all the kids who survived the 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risk we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank koolaid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because.

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the moring and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlight came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.

And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

WE DID NOT HAVE PLAYSTATION, NINTENDO,S,X-BOXES, NO VIDEO GAMES AT ALL, NO 50 CHANNELS ON CABLE, NO SURROUND -SOUND, CD,S OR IPODS, NO CELL! PHONES, NO PERSONAL COMPUTERS, NO INTERNET OR CHAT ROOMS....
WE HAD FRIENDS AND WE WENT OUTSIDE AND FOUND THEM!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mudpies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

WE WERE GIVING BB GUNS FOR OUR 10TH BIRTHDAYS,

made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen,we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little league had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn,t had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. they actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

WE HAD FREEDOM, FAILURE, SUCCESS AND RESPONSIBILITY, AND WE LEARNED HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

IF YOU ARE ONE THEM CONGRATULATIONS!

I GUESS BY THE ABOVE YOU CAN SEE WERE I'AM COMING FROM. I DO NOT KNOW THE LABEL BUT THEY WERE GREAT YEARS AND A GREAT GENERATION.

WANDERING STAR
Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:52 AM   #45
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Well, we are Boomers, The good thing about it is we are the gewneration that is about to RETIRE, not soon enough for me

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:02 AM   #46
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Wandering Star, boy does that bring back memories. I'm afraid you are right. According to the "Captains of the World" today we should not even be alive. How in the world did we survive all those hazards? And something else. Mom fried chicken (deep fryed) in a black iron skillet of lard. (Pork Fat).
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:15 PM   #47
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Great post but you left out the best part of growing up for me. Running behind the fogging machine that our little company town in Manitoba used every week in the summer to control the mosquitoes. The DDT was a little strong but that fog was so neat to hide in and make you feel you were walking in the clouds. No video game today could match such a great time. Come to think of it, so many of my fellow fogging machine playmates have died. mmmmmmmmmmmm??? what a strange coincidence.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote