Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2006, 09:12 AM   #21
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Just got back from the Post Office in SW Denver, roads not too bad, but not much traffic, either. I think we'll get slammed again tonight. Starting to worry about snow on the roof of the Monty in storage. Heck, I'm starting to worry about getting the rig out for Quartzsite in a couple of weeks!

scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:43 AM   #22
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Scattershot - I hear ya. Don't worry about the snow on the Monty - won't hurt anything (>20,000lb load by construction). The axles will bend before the roof will ever cave in.

I was just telling DW we won't be able to bring our new one home till we get some melt! Couldn't get it anywhere near the house, and when I went to the storage lot there is a 4' drift in front of our garage and not enough of a clear path out front to maneuver it in there. We might just have to request pictures to hold us off for a while.

I did kick the snow off the boat cover. It was actually OK as well, just didn't want to push my luck. It would be the pits to have it tear.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:52 AM   #23
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
To all you hungry folks on the front range! The grocery stores were pretty lean on food before Christmas but Super Target had plenty of groceries. If you are close to one-try it.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:37 PM   #24
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Allen,

We'll have to try it. How bad did you guys get hit?

Brad
Old 12-29-2006, 02:15 PM   #25
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Brad and Mac How do you like the almost constant round the clock coverage on TV about the blizzard? On all channels! We thank our lucky stars we have satellite TV!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:44 PM   #26
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I know - isn't that something! I think they do that on purpose so all the Texans will come up here to go skiing next week.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:11 PM   #27
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
It was killing me, I kept saying I can look out the window if I want to know an update!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:32 PM   #28
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
One of the mountain TV news people is Don's cousin.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:28 AM   #29
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Thanks Allen,

We'll have to try it. How bad did you guys get hit?

Brad
We are dry as a bone over here. That is one of the reasons we decided to get the hell out of Dodge(Boulder county-30 years). The other major reason is that the front range is just getting too crowded.

Wishing a Happy New Year to all!

Allan
Old 12-30-2006, 04:35 AM   #30
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Allan, I sense from your post that you moved to the western Slope somewhere. I have several friends who have done just that over the years, and they constantly sing the praises of Western Slope living. Where are you?
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:43 AM   #31
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Interesting report on some Texans who went skiing BEFORE this latest snowfall (Breckenridge, I believe). They decided to get out before the storm, but not soon enough. They made it to Trinidad, but found Raton Pass closed (and I think still closed today, Saturday). No room in the inn, so spent the night in the lobby of a Holiday Inn. These are friends and neighbors of ours. As of this morning they were still in Trinidad.

[I note Allan is in Grand Junction]

Recent view of our daughter's back yard near Buena Vista (on Cottonwood Creek) http://dwilliamson.com/DuckCam2.jpg

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:15 AM   #32
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
David,

Sorry to hear about your neighbors. It would be worse on the Raton side, as they have very few accomodations.

Our plans were to head out tomorrow for Santa Fe for New Years. Your news sounds discouraging. If Raton doesn't open, we won't be going anywhere!

Brad
Old 12-30-2006, 09:04 AM   #33
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scattershot

Allan, I sense from your post that you moved to the western Slope somewhere. I have several friends who have done just that over the years, and they constantly sing the praises of Western Slope living. Where are you?
Sorry for late reply. I was in TT reframing the bathroom door. (Some things were done Monday morning with a hangover I think!!!)

We are in Grand Junction (east end near Clifton close to I70 ex37). We had lived outside of Boulder for 30 years and I had spent about 14 of them remodeling our house. Planned to stay until I discovered that they were stripping the land near Longmont for more houses. That was it! We initially bought property in Paonia which is about 30 mi east of Delta but found it too isolated. Thank God I didn't start building. We came to GJ so often that it only made sense to move here. We really love this place-we have been lucky in loving two places in our 45yrs of marriage (Los Alamos and GJ).
Old 12-30-2006, 10:09 AM   #34
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
ARJ,

I'm a BIG fan of GJ, wish I could afford to move over there but I'm too locked into PERA right now so I have to hang in another 3-8 years. Maybe then we can be western slopers too, I've lived on the front range my whole life.

mac
Old 12-30-2006, 11:00 AM   #35
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mac

ARJ,

I'm a BIG fan of GJ, wish I could afford to move over there but I'm too locked into PERA right now so I have to hang in another 3-8 years. Maybe then we can be western slopers too, I've lived on the front range my whole life.

mac
Hopefully GJ won't be too crowded then but it too is growing what with the gas and oil explopration. Real estate prices in Rifle are getting out of sight.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:11 AM   #36
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
ARJ,

I know we were over there last summer, as well as Montrose and Gunnison and the property every where was a lot more than I thought it would be. We didn't really look seriously, just picked up a couple fliers in front of a few houses, we were shocked.

mac
Old 12-30-2006, 12:13 PM   #37
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mac

ARJ,

I know we were over there last summer, as well as Montrose and Gunnison and the property every where was a lot more than I thought it would be. We didn't really look seriously, just picked up a couple fliers in front of a few houses, we were shocked.

mac
Unless you like it cold, scratch Gunnison and Montrose is even colder than GJ. It is really nice not to have the wild assed weather that we had on the front range. The weather here is very steady. And yes, the housing prices are going up, even since we got here in 2003.

Our place has probably appreciated by about 35-40% in those 3 years. but then our place in Boulder county when up by a factor of 10 in 30 yrs although I had sunk a few bucks into it too.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:46 PM   #38
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
GJ looking good to me right now. My Dad moved there about 5 years ago and loves it. Los Alamos is way too sleepy of a town for me.

Were you with IBM in Boulder Allen?

Brad
Old 12-30-2006, 02:45 PM   #39
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

GJ looking good to me right now. My Dad moved there about 5 years ago and loves it. Los Alamos is way too sleepy of a town for me.

Were you with IBM in Boulder Allen?

Brad
No. I was with Control Data in Los Alamos and Boulder. Worked at NCAR and NOAA in Boulder. Main computer lab (C Division) in Los Alamos. You either loved or hated Los Alamos. Lots of shopping out of catalogs and trips to Albquerque when we got hill happy. That was in the late 60's & early 70's and Santa Fe was a neat town. I don't even recognize it now. Got to Boulder in '72 and left in 2002.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:38 PM   #40
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
GJ is looking good to us too. It is getting too crowded here. When our house was built 20 years ago there was hardly any houses out here. Now they are everywhere. Only thing that saves this area, there is a 5 acre limit. Can't own less than 5 acres here so it keeps people from being on top of each other.