Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2006, 04:26 PM   #1
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
Generator exhaust

I have a new 3475RL on the way and it is generator ready. I am open for suggestions on rerouting the exhaust of my Yamaha 2800 out of the generator box. I have used the Yamaha for the past four years and it has worked out fine. I plan to replace it with a propane Onan in the future when the cash reserves allow. I have searched Google for mufflers,exhaust adapters,etc.

Dee "Born to be retired"
2004 3255Rl
1998 Dodge Cummins
3500 Quad Cab DRW
Pac Brake
4" MBRP Exhaust
AFE Air System
Banks Diesel Tuner
Westach Pyro,Boost,Fuel Pressure,Trans Temp

Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 04:04 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Redrover98,

Nice photo of your rig, can't help but notice there is some blue on the roof. Could you enlighten us as to what that might be??

Carol

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:29 AM   #3
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
We were wondering the same thing. Kinda looks like tarp-type material. Hard to tell.

AL and Nita
2003 Chevy Dually
2005 3670RL
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:06 AM   #4
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
The blue tarps were covering my missing a/c and two hatches. We took our two month old Monty to New England and were comming thru Vermont just after a little bad weather.I came around a curve and there was a large telephone cable hanging down. A tree had fallen over and pushed the pole down causing the cable to sag.I was only doing 40 mph but I was not about to lock up the brakes and risk jackknifing. The cable took all but the a/c pan,bent the fantastic fan assembly,fridge vent and sewer vent cap. Fortunately it did not touch or harm the rubber roof. It was still raining so I cut up the tarp,dried the roof with a towel and used ......you guessed it duct tape.We drove the next day to Gorham,N.H. to Currier RV,which was a Montana dealer. They were fantastic. Provided us with water and 30 amp next to the garage. The RV was fixed the next day but we had to wait six days for the a/c unit. We went sightseeing and even went back into Vermont. It was scary but we were lucky it wasn't worse. I reminded my wife we had driven 20k miles to Alaska and back with not even a broken headlight.
Any suggestions on getting the exhaust out of the generator box?

Dee "Born to be retired"
2004 3255Rl
1998 Dodge Cummins
3500 Quad Cab DRW
Pac Brake
4" MBRP Exhaust
AFE Air System
Banks Diesel Tuner

Old 08-12-2006, 09:49 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Nope, sorry, we don't do generators, would love to give ya a hint or two, but have NONE up our sleeves.

What a story! So glad nothing was more serious than a lost A/C unit, and that you were not hurt. Have to say, that is one amazing story!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:53 AM   #6
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
This is what I found on the net. It may not apply to your application but I'm sure you could do something similar.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/faqsupertrap.cfm

I've also seen people go to the local junk yard and get the muffler and resonators off the small foreign cars and retro fit to their Lowe's, home depot store generator to cut down the noise.

Chris, Donna and Max(the Lhasa)
2001 F350 Dually Lariat 7.3PSD 4x4 Crewcab Short bed
2003 Montana 3255rl 5th
New Hampshire: Live Free or Die
uhftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:33 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Cris did a good job of helping you, It's difficult to know how to help, could you post a picture of the generator exhaust?
What I did on an older Honda generator was to use a large compression coupling and copper pipe, it fit on the exhaust tube, and was a good tight fit.
I did much the same as Chris' pictures on the Generac in my detached garage, I welded a small car muffler in the exhaust line to the rear of the garage, and outside.
Good luck.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:16 AM   #8
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I have a brand new Gen-Turi tube, that I bought about a month before I decided to trade my Class A in on a Monty (smart move on the Monty) Any way I am going to sell it at our Fall Rally Yard Sale unless you specifically want it.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...14041&src=IOSP

Here is the web site at Camping World to see what it looks like. I don't know if it could be used with a 5ver or not. Wouldn't take much Mod I would think also gets that Gen Exhaust up in the air and not under the camper.

Phill & Gladys
Sometimes me sits and thinks - sometimes me just sits.
06 GMC 2500HD Duramax 4x4
06 Montana 3400RL
Bichon - CEO
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:56 AM   #9
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
Chris and Ozz,thanks for our input. Your suggestions were pretty much what I was thinking about. My generator is a Yamaha 2800ie with the mufller and spark arrestor pointing to the rear or the compartment. I was thinking of removing the spark arrestor and using a piece of tubing/pipe a bit larger than the muffler tip with a clamp and make a gradual sweep in the pipe downward to get it out of the compartment then reattach the spark arrestor. I will look at the muffler and see if it would be feasible to remove the flange then weld a pipe to it and use a muffler on the end. My concern is restricting the exhaust which would affect the performance of the engine. Thanks again for your responses.
Dee

Dee "Born to be retired"
2004 3255Rl
1998 Dodge Cummins
3500 Quad Cab DRW
Pac Brake
4" MBRP Exhaust
AFE Air System
Banks Diesel Tuner