Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2006, 07:22 AM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
screen door thickness... confusing

We saw the pictures of the plexiglas on the screen door. Dreamstation web site.
I am confused. He said he used 3/32" plexiglas. Which converts to .093 Home Depot does not cut it but has that.... Lowes will cut it, but they only have the .125 thickness and the 0.080....
Anyway both places only have .080 which converts to less than 1/8. Which seems very thin. Lowes do have .125 thickness which should we use? As I said the 0.080 is less than 1/8 thickness. Which he said not to use as it would require more clips. Is my math wrong here? Or I am getting more confused by the minute.
We want to put it on outside of screen door.

Dusty & Don ... Two spoiled schnauzers and a Maine Coon cat. 2500 Dodge Diesel 2003,SLT,
Bedsaver, Doran tire pressure moniter.
2004 Montana 3295. Fireplace,Washer/dryer,2 air conditioners.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:37 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We put ours on the inside, got the thinnest we could find, so it is light enough that it does not bog down the screen door and drag on the bottom. I believe we got at Lowe's here in Michigan. I don't remember the name of the material and Al is not here for me to ask.

For us, THIN was the name of the game. we had purchased thicker before and ended up taking it back, even half sheets were heavy to carry and Al was sure they would bog down the door. This thin stuff is indeed much lighter weight and fits in the little groove on the inside of the door just fine.

This project can be done a number of ways, this is just one of them.

Good luck,

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:46 AM   #3
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
If you put it on the outside of the door, how would you attach it? With those same clippy things?

Carol

Carol and Chuck
2006 3670RL
2005 GMC 3500 Sierra (White)
Allison/Duramax diesel, dual wheels,
4 wheel drive,
long bed, crew cab,
pipe running boards
Reese hitch.

Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:19 AM   #4
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Yes with the little clippy things. I thought it would be easier to keep clean on the outside. We have a screen guard on inside but Don said he could take that off and put the plexiglas on inside and put the guard back on.

What do most of you secure the plexiglas with inside? I have heard of doing velcro.
Oh I see the little groove in the screen door that Carol mentioned. I guess wouldn't take much to secure it with those grooves.
Just happened to be out in the Monty today because a realtor is showing our house between 1 and 3 today. Cross your fingers we sell it at the price we want and need. So we can start house hunting in AZ this winter.

Thanks for all your answers. Hopefully I can get Don to put that on the screen door this weekend.

Dusty & Don ... Two spoiled schnauzers and a Maine Coon cat. 2500 Dodge Diesel 2003,SLT,

Old 08-07-2006, 09:24 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
yes, we used clips, purchased in a hardware store in Mission Texas, I want to say it was a ACO or ACE hardware, but you know ole memories. ONTMONT told us which ones to get and where, we went with his design, as we could see it and Al liked the way he did it.

Good luck with that house sale!

Carol

Ohh, he cut 3 pieces of that plastic, one for top, one for bottom and one for the little area by the slider.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:39 AM   #6
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Carol could you take pictures of the little clip things you used and your screen door?

They are still looking at the house. Not many people stay that long to look and they are checking out everything outside too!

Old 08-07-2006, 09:42 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
OOO, Dusty that sounds sooooo good!

I was afraid you would ask for photos, I will try. OK. I don't think the platic part will show up real good, cause it is clear, but, let me see if I can get anything. A challenge, for sure!

Carol
Old 08-07-2006, 10:39 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dusty, ok, here is the entire door, you can see the clips Al put around the door, and the shine:

Here is the lower left corner, shows the lip the plastic sits on and the clip, this is the best I could get of the clip, as new camera, don't know how to do macro, don't know if it does macro

Like I said, kinda hard with clear plastic stuff for taking photos, hope this helps some.

Carol
Old 08-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Carol
Did you have to drill holes for the clips?
Thanks for posting the pictures. This will help. Looks really good!

Old 08-07-2006, 11:46 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
No holes for the clips. We keep an eye on them, we had one or two pop off, so far we have been lucky and found them laying on the groud. No slamming the door, gentle as she goes.

you are welcome, hope it helps!

Carol
Old 08-07-2006, 11:54 AM   #11
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thank you Carol, this is the way we are going to do ours. I don't like to put holes in the Monty so this should work great.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:29 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, is yours three pieces or two? In other words, is the one by the slider a separate piece or an extension of the top piece? I would think if an extension then the top part wouldn't sit in the groove. The single clip on the small piece is what made me wonder. We're going to do this before winter, too.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:05 AM   #13
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve

THREE PIECES!! You are right, that small piece in the middle of the door, opposite the slider has to be a seperate piece.

Now, Al did the layout, measuring, etc. He made patterns from some poster board first.

I believe he purchased 2 pieces of that really thin plastic, he got the top section from one, and the middle and the bottom from the other.

I want to say that we invested about $17.00 in clips (they were NOT cheap) and I think about $60 to $75 in the plastic (again, not cheap). And, I could be off quite a bit on the plastic cost, but pretty close on about the clips. (ole memories are a hoot, eh, remember some stuff, not others! HA HA)

Cutting this stuff is not the most joyful experience you will ever have. He tried a jig saw, too much wiggle/jiggle and it created a small crack. Had his best luck with a Dremel tool with these little cutting disks. He bought a stack of the little disks, good thing, as they tend to break up rather quickly, he used a number of them on this project.

Al is not here to give me the proper names for some of this stuff, when he gets back, I will try to remember to ask him to review this thread and tell me what to correct.

Carol
Old 08-08-2006, 03:06 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the tips on cutting it. I was going to use a jigsaw with a very fine toothed blade but it sounds like that doesn't work well. I also have a Dremel onboard so will try that. It might be tough to cut a straight line that long with the Dremel, though. I may have to research options for cutting it

on edit - Looks like you can buy a $6 special plexiglass scoring knife at most any hardware store, score it fairly deeply, then line it up on a table and snap it off. Like cutting glass. I may try that (on a practice piece first).

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK

Old 08-08-2006, 03:11 PM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

He did use something like that, but, I think he finally went to the Dremmel. He is supposed to be round by Thursday, we'll get back to ya on that.

Carol
Old 08-08-2006, 03:17 PM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Carol,
Guess I missed the beginning of this thread. What is the purpose of the plexiglass?

Robbie

Peace!
Robbie & Alice Simons
Seattle

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 SWB Laramie (LNRNGR)
2006 2980RL (TONTOW)
Line-X bed liner
Jacobs Exhaust Brake
Prodigy Brake Controller
Hijacker 24-UMS-21 Hitch
Start Fulltiming 10/2006
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:15 AM   #17
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Robbie,

Storm door, can leave the outside door open when the A/C is running or the furnace is running. In our floor layout that side has the entertainment/panty/frig/stove slideout, there is a window in the door of course, which you cannot see out of, but does let in light, there is a window between frig and stove and there is a window at very back, but that side seems gloomy to me. NOT NOW!!!! I leave the big door hooked and enjoy the view and the weather be danged! (Not sure I would do that in a rain storm tho! HA HA) So, change that to the temperature be danged! OHH, sure I won't use it at 32 or below thos! brrrr

Carol
Old 08-09-2006, 02:30 AM   #18
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Carol,

I get it now...duh! I live in Seattle, we don't have much need for an air conditioner here, but guess when I get on the road this storm door might be a must improvement.

Thanks,

Robbie
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:04 AM   #19
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Are those clips called "mirror clips" or are they different?

Judy
http://spaces.msn.com/bamatravelers/
http://bamatravelers.blogspot.com
Traveling with Glen and Greta in our 2004 Dodge dually and Montana 3380 RL

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:21 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

OHH, sure I won't use it at 32 or below thos! brrrr

Carol
Carol, we're going with the plexiglass this winter, but... last winter I put outdoor clear film over the windows and the screen door to get the same effect. Nice sunny day with no significant wind and temperatures in the low twenties and upper teens and it worked great! We closed up when the sun went down but I don't see why it wouldn't work well then, too. During the sunny part of the day it actually helped heat the Montana's inside.

Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK