Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2006, 08:06 AM   #1
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
Dometic Climate Control Thermostat?

I have read the articles on the Coleman and Hunter replacement thermostats for the fifth wheel. Have any of you tried the Dometic thermostat? If, so, how much was it and were the wiring instructions easy?

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
If we are talking about the Dometic Comfort Control Center, lots of people have replaced their remote thermostat with the CCC. As a replacement, it is not exactly "easy", but it is certainly not too hard to do yourself. You have to change both the wall unit and the circuit board in the AC.

It would be harder to use it to replace an analog thermostat because it requires a special telephone-like cable to connect the wall unit to the A/C, if that cable is not there to begin with, I don't think it would be possible to install it after the fact. On further thought though, you may be able to just solder telephone connector wire onto the ends of the existing thermostat wire. Why would you go to all that trouble and expense though? The standard digital thermostat like the Hunter and other similar units will work just as well for a lot less cost and effort.

I would only use the Dometic CCC to replace the Dometic Remote thermostat, for a conventional analog thermostat, use any battery powered household digital thermostat.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
John makes has a good explanation for thermostat replacements. I had the Dometic remote system and had it replaced under warranty for the Dometic CCC.
It has the telephone type connectors on the wire connecting the thermostat and
the control board. I do not know what the replacement cost, but can tell you that it works considerably better than the remote system.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
mmrxboss
Established Member

M.O.C. #1425
I just replaced my Dometic unit with a Hunter model I got at Lowes. Picked up the wiring info form other links posted sometime ago (do a search on this subject). Install was easy, quick and works just fine. The unit I picked up has the programmable set-back function.

Note: My unit has a flip-up lid or cover. The unit was just a bit to wide for my position so I cut a piece of 1/4" plywood to set the thermostat unit out from the wall.
mmrxboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Art -

Are you replacing the current thermostat because of the remote control one not working? If so, they should replace it for free. Dometic sent my unit directly to me and I replaced it myself. We love the Comfort Control system, even if it does mean I have to walk over and change it manually.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote