Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
High hitchin and pull tests

Well, we found out you can high hitch this PullRite 15.5K Super 5th!

Not going into a lot of details, as Al is not here to correct my errors in any technical verbage,

But, we did manage to high hitch the pullright on the last day out from our Winter Texan months. We stopped in Ft Wayne so I could do some research and as we were hooking up the last morning, it did not sound right, look right and it was NOT right.

Fiddled with it, here, there, etc etc etc. Got it UN-hitched. Redid the entire hitching procedure and got it right the second time.

And, yes, we do a pull test every time. We also know how it should feel and sound when we latch that pullright onto the kingpin.

OntMont told us about the 5er that pulled out of a campground in Effingham Illinois, made several turns and had pulled several hundred feet and he still managed to drop his 5er.

Be careful out there folks, and yes, you can high hitch the pullright.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:00 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I never do a pull test but I do check by site to be sure it is latched properly and not just on the big end of the king pin.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:35 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ok..so what is a high hitch..We are fifth wheel illiterate.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:37 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
OK..So what is a HIGH HITCH...
Old 05-03-2006, 05:11 PM   #5
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Rich,

High hitch is when you back into the kingpin when the trailer is too high. On a Pullrite, the latch bar will latch into the smaller diameter of the kingpin. When you drop the weight of the trailer on it all the pin weight is bearing down on the latch bar rather than the hitch plate. This usually fubars the latch bar for good.

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:40 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kwbosch

Rich,

High hitch is when you back into the kingpin when the trailer is too high. On a Pullrite, the latch bar will latch into the smaller diameter of the kingpin. When you drop the weight of the trailer on it all the pin weight is bearing down on the latch bar rather than the hitch plate. This usually fubars the latch bar for good.

Ken
So that can not happen with a regular hitch..yes..No..
Old 05-04-2006, 08:18 AM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I believe you could do it with most any brand hitch.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #8
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Rich, I have some pictures we use at work to train our drivers about high hooks. I will try to send them to you in an e-mail.
But basicly a high hook is where the king pin rides on top of the latch. This is usually prevented by letting the the king pin box apron ride up on the 5th wheel hitch. In other words don't have the trailer raised so that the hitch doesn't raise it when you back under it.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:18 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I will admit that I am a novice at hitching a fifth wheel.We have only hitched and unhitched 3 times since we got the camper and actually I have not hitched at all.Helen has done the backing and I am back there looking real close to see what is going on. We have the latch painted school bus yellow so I can see that it is latched.I went out at looked at our draw tite 16K hitch and I don't see how that high hitch can happen. I can see how you could come in high but what would it hook to. We do as Indy RR says,,Will take a good look at the pictures.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:06 PM   #10
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Typically, when not being used, the hitch plate should want to flop down toward the rear on its fore/aft pivot. I make sure it always does by using a bungy cord to hold the rear down when not hitched. This also helps the hitch to not bounce around when I'm not hitched up and traveling down a bumpy road at 60 mph.

As I back up to hitch onto the trailer (make sure the hitch latch has been opened), I typically try to set the height of the trailer king pin mount plate so that it will strike the hitch plate about half way up while it is in its slanted position (hope this makes sense). Backing further, the king pin plate will cause the hitch to level up as the king pin slides into position. Doing it in this manner will sometimes cause the TV suspension to actually lower a small amount as the pin slides into place. As the pin slides up against the latch, it should spring closed. Doing it in this manner will ensure that the pin does not come in too high.

After hitching up, always take a look at the back of the hitch. It should be easy to see the king pin firmly inside the latch of the hitch, and the latch is fully closed. Most hitches have the ability to lock the latch in place. Always do this. If you can't lock it, something is not right.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:15 PM   #11
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
This is one of the reasons I keep a good flashlight in my driver door compartment, to see the connection and make sure the pin is captured correctly by the hitch and to see that the weight is on the hitch correctly . In the shadows, you might miss something that is so very obvious when you put a bright light on it. Take care.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:38 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Just one thing to add to Rick's method of hitching that I use. Spray WD40 on the hitch plate and on the kingpin, this will help the kingpin slide easily along the hitch plate. I also use the weight of the coach to make the truck "squat" as I hook up. This will also help against high hitching. Another thing I use while hitching is make sure to plug in the trailer power cord before you back into the kingpin. While backing apply the trailer brakes to make sure your coach does not roll backward. This can cause bent landing gear...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:20 AM   #13
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Don and Rick, you are right on. You could teach my Semi Drivers class on how to hook.
We preach this to our drivers in safety meetings at least every 6 months and we still will have somebody drop a trailer. We had one not too long ago - hooked a set of doubles in Lincoln Il and 30 miles east of St Louis the back trailer came off the dolly and went in the ditch. It was a high hook and it pulled that far before it came off.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:26 AM   #14
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I only have a reese 15k. I painted the latch section that locks in front of the kingpin, bright florecent yellow. I have the pin box painted red. I did not like all the black at the hook up area. It is real easy to see at hook up time. I have to touch up the yellow once in a while, but no big deal.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 12:43 AM   #15
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I have a Pullrite 16K. I find that if I get the hitch and pin box combination about two of my fingers apart with the hitch angled down, then when I back in to the trailer it rides right into the hitch just about all the time. And like the others said I think the truck squats a little but I think that is OK. I was wondering about painting my trailer pin a bright color to help see that it is captured by the hitch properly.

When we were out camping last weekend, it was about 10:00 or so, my wife Nancy was doing her checks (she's great!) we heart a scream from a couple of sites down. She saw a couple drop their 5'er on the truck. We were bought a little sick from seeing this. I could see the truck damage.

Nancy and I have had the Monty for almost a year now and I tell you I really RESPECT, the hitching and unhitching process. If we can't concentrate on what we are doing we just stop and have a cup of coffee or something.

Happy and Safe Camping to All!
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 01:24 AM   #16
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I also think some folks are just in a hurry. I have watched guys back up to the 5vr. I firmly beleive that the driver thinks that when he backs up under the pin, and hearing the loud clunk and seeing the 5vr move, he thinks he is firmly hitched. No one ever bothers to get out of the truck and check the hook up and lock the hitch, thats the drivers responsibility.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:10 AM   #17
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I saw a trick somewhere (maybe on RV Today)- we have a TT rather than 5er so I wasn't taking notes. As soon as they unhooked, they took a string with a small fishing weight on the end (maybe) and dropped it like a plumbob from some point (maybe the kinpin) til it touched the ground. They then attached it some way (maybe wrapped it around something) and then rolled it up out of the way and leveled the rig. When they got ready to leave, they unrolled the "plumbob" and raised the 5er front til the weight touched the ground (the EXACT same height as when unhitched). Seems like this would be good to help prevent the "high hitch".
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 01:25 PM   #18
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Over 2 years ago, I did the same thing. I had to call Pull-Rite and get replacement parts to fix mine. Now we make sure that when I back under the pin, that it causes the bed to depress a little. It doesn't take much the the DW is very good at knowing what to look for when we hitch. If I hitch by myself, I ensure that the plate is lowered to the point that I really have to push to back under it.

And YES I always do a pull test with the trailer brakes locked to make sure everything is [s]copasetetic[/s][s]copsspectic[/s][s]copa[/s]right.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:29 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
With the early Ford TBC you can not lock the trailer brakes for a pull test.By the way the Mor-Ryde hitch pin renders the new mirror useless .The Mor-Ryde is a extended hitch and all you can see in the mirror is the top of the Hitch Pin...I now understand the High Hitch.The book that came with my Draw tire hitch explaines it with pictures. For the time being one of us will always be watching the hitch to make sure it is correct. I still feel very uncomfortable with hitching up..perhaps after 20 or so hitches all will be well..
Old 05-06-2006, 03:59 PM   #20
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Be careful also when unhooking, especially in an emergency situation. A friend of mine saw smoke billowing up between the truck and 5th wheel, pulled over to check and discovered a fire in the trailer front compartment spreading fast. Hollered at his wife to slide over to the driver's position and pull the truck away while he unlatched the hitch. He failed to lower the landing gear, pulled the latch as she pulled away and crushed his forearm between the trailer and bedrail. He screamed, she stopped, he was pinned as the fire grew. Thankfully two other guys stopped and somehow managed to lift the trailer with their shoulders off his arm. 36' Terry fifth wheel totaled, truck scorched, arm works after a lot of medical bills
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote