Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Demco Glide Ride (pin box)

Has anybody used the Glide Ride pin box, looking for pros & cons. The website is www.glide-ride.com to check it out. Looking for some feedback. Thanks

Old 10-11-2005, 05:36 PM   #2
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Interesting video. It doesn't say what the elastic element is. It looks like a torsional device. If it is a spring then there should also be some kind of damping device (read shock absorber). The speaker in the video tried to put down the rubber mount (used by Mor Ryde.) However, a rubber mount doesn't require seperate damping device. Also, the GlideRide mechanism has a rotation about a pair of pivot points. This wil necessarily introduce a very small translational motion into the vertical axis -- probably not as much as suggested in the video, but some. That said, I suspect the Glide Ride will have an effect very similar to the Mor Ryde hitch pin. The Mor Ryde is a simpler, more elegant solution (IMO) but, it is about the same price so, flip a coin.

One other thing. The video makes it seem like an easy changeout from the old pin box to the new one. While it is mechanically easy, these things are heavy -- like in you need a plan to get it done with out hurting something. The other thing you need is a BIG torque wrench. There are four bolts holding the pin box on. I needed a Rube Goldberg extension on my breaker bar to get the nuts loose. Be prepared.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:16 AM   #3
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
Glide Ride looks like something I should try, but will wait until I get more feed back from people who are using it. Called the company and was told the weight was 135 lbs, and will match the pinbox taken off to include extended pin at $739 which includes shipping.So if any of you have this Demco Glide ride what do you have to say about it?? THANKS!
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:26 AM   #4
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
I just called Glide Ride and they said all new Hitchhiker by NuWay is putting the Glide Ride on as standard equipment. I just ordered one and will pick it up the 27th, in Omaha.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:24 PM   #5
Montana_2130
Established Member

M.O.C. #2130
Looks to me like the TrailAir would have the most dampining effect on the pin (as far as the up and down movement). Is there anyone who has tried more than one of these products?
Montana_2130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 06:28 PM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I have used the Trail Air and The Mor ryde. Please note that the proper term is Damping. (Dampening makes things wet. I don't think that is waht you mean) Now to the issue. the trail air geometry translates fore aft motin into up down motion. Yes this is dampened by a shock ubsorber but it is unnecessary. The mor ryde restricts action and response to the fore/aft axis where the problem starts. I have used the trail air and the Mor ryde. Both help solve the problem but the Mor ryde is a more elegant solution and does a better job.

Old 10-16-2005, 06:58 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dave, I watched both videos... MOR/ryde first. I am not an engineer (just a biologist), but my first thought on MOR/ryde was of possible recoil effects. Then when I watched the Glide Ride video, that was one of the first things they attacked on "other rubber" pin boxes. Is there any noticeable recoil with MOR/ryde?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 04:27 AM   #8
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Dave,
I've never noticed any recoil effect at all.
Dave
Old 10-30-2005, 01:33 PM   #9
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
We had our new Glide Ride pin box installed last Thur. 27th and the price was very reasonable. We pulled the camper from Omaha to Lincoln with a great difference in the ride.