Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2005, 02:13 PM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
After 34 years you'd think you really know someone

They say you never truly know anyone. But, after being married to someone for 34 years you'd think you really know them. You'd think you know all their quirks, their skills, their talents, their likes, their dislikes. You'd think you know what they're thinking, how they think. Alas, it aint so.

While auto touring the gorgeous "Snowy Peaks" in the Uinta Mountains of northern Utah I learned something profound I had never discovered about my lovely bride of 34 years (plus the 4 1/2 months we knew each other before our wedding). A talent, a skill, that lay dormant all those years.

During the inward part of our tour Vicki exclaimed "Ohmygawd, there's a moose!!!" By the time I got us stopped and turned around he was gone. Farther into the tour we chatted with a (somewhat) local who told us to come back around 7:30 and we'd surely see a moose. So we continued our tour and timed our return to the original sighting area to arrive about 7:30. We took out the lawn chairs and set ourselves up far enough away not to be a threat to the wildlife and we sat there until well after sundown.

No moose, but there were lots and lots of these strange flying insects buzzing around. They seemed to respect the Off DeepWoods but still had to buzz close enough to get a sniff.

Anyhow, we'd left the windows down in the truck as it was a rather warm day. Sure enough, we had lots of these little pesky critters inside the truck. Vicki managed to smash quite a few against the windshield and the door window (yes, she cleaned up the mess) with the back and the heel of her hand but most just wouldn't cooperate and land within striking distance.

This one really pesky nuisance just kept flying around between us, never alighting anywhere long enough to die (pretty smart, huh?) It was at that point my dainty wife displayed a new talent I'd never seen. SWACK! And Vicki's eyes got big as saucers as she exclaimed "I caught it!" Left handed, even! She opened her hand and wiped the poor little creature off into the trash can. Then SWACK. She got another. And another! Now it's getting to be fun. A real evil streak in this woman? She's enjoying this! A couple of times she opened her hand too quickly and the little bugger wiggled out. But her batting average on the day was impressive.

So, if anyone needs a human flyswatter, her hourly rate... well, I know you guys too well. We'll stop right there.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:05 PM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
OH MY GOSH!!! This is a very funny story I just can't stop laughing at the site of vicki catching the bugs. I was swatting at a fly once and hit Walt up side the head with the news paper and I thought that was funny but this is even better.. Did you ever get to see a moose??
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
ROFLMAO, Linda! You hit the poor guy with a newspaper? Vicki never does that to me accidentally, always on purpose. Poor Walt!

No, we didn't see the moose. But last year we took a short drive near St. Regis, MT, and ran across a moose having dinner in a small river full of vegetation. We sat there watching and taking pictures for about 20 minutes. Slowly he moved as he ate and when I started the diesel to move closer it scared him off.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:04 PM   #4
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Steve I just love this picture, Yes! you know how sometimes a fly will get in the truck with you. Well I was trying to hit it and WHAM!! right upside the head. I thought I would die it was so funny. He said "WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO KILL ME OR THE ##@$% FLY" Well now he won't let me have a newspaper in the truck. LOL,LOL
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 04:17 AM   #5
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Sounds like you have the beginning of "Road Show" in the works. Could off set the cost of traveling with the new fuel prices and all. You could probably print up some fly catching....I mean eye catching flyers.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:28 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
This is too funny. Made my morning!
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:33 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
BJ, that's hilarious!
Old 07-13-2005, 12:20 PM   #8
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Steve, at least she has a talant that could come in handy while you travel. We didn't have that many bugs just mesquitos............They were everywhere the grass was. But the spray did help. Hope that you are having a great time in Montana. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 04:05 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We plan to, Kathi. Tomorrow we head on up to Hungry Horse. Then we can relax and enjoy the area. We'll watch for those mosquitos. For some reason they really like me.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:17 AM   #10
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Steve,

Eat more garlic!
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:15 AM   #11
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
Steve:

Have you ever thought that Vicki was REALLY aiming at YOU and just happened to hit the bugs??!!!??! Taking Vitamin B-12 has helped me counteract mosquitoes. Seems it helps your body produce something they don't like.
Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:10 AM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Big Sky Guy and anyone else with bug problems. Years ago my little daughter was highly sensitive to bug bites. We were on our way to visit relatives in Kansas in the summer and I knew she was going to be in trouble. Our doctor told me to give her B12. She did fine. It does not work for people allergic to bee stings though. I know from experience.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:36 PM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Hey, last year's moose doesn't count. You need to come north to see some more. We saw a young'n this morning but one look at the Monty and he turned tail and ran. I barely got a picture.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote