Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Rubber Roof repair

2004 Big Sky Montana

under the Rubber roof about mid trailer on the edge there appears to be edging lifting up under the rubber roof. looks like a 90 degree piece 4 inches., i can feel and see the staples under the rubber which have come up from securing this under laymnet. my thoughts are to cut the roof at this area and reseal rather than undo the side seam. any thoughts would be welcome

Pugtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I would think what you are proposing would be the easiest, cheapest way to get what sounds like a simple repair done. I will recommend using Eternabond tape (preferable as wide as you get). It may be beneficial to completely clean the roof material before you make the cut as it will be more difficult to clean the edges after the cut is made. The eternabond should seal the roof back with no problems. Please post pics and let us know how the repair goes. It will be valuable information to the rest of us on the forum that hopefully we would not have to use, but in the event we do...... As a disclaimer be sure to consider that this is presented as opinion only, far from being backed up by any experience on roof repairs whatsoever......to date (knock on wood)!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I agree with Bingo. I still don't know how , but on our first trip out something rubbed on our roof and made two thumbnail size holes. Covered them with "Eternabond" , no problems. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:21 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I agree also. I think keeping the disturbed area to a minimum would be best. Cut, lift, apply adhesive, and roll back down. Then cover with eternabond.
I had a small tear (only an inch or so) from a tree limb. Cleaned it well, applied some eternabond, and rolled it out with a wall paper seam roller purchased at Home Depot. Easy to do.
Another opinion from a non-expert.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #5
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I'd try pounding it down w/a rubber mallet, first. See if it comes back up, then follow advice above.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
When cleaning the roofing material, it's best to use rubbing alcohol over the entire area where you're going to place the Eternabond tape. Then when you place the tape down, be sure you have it where you want it before making contact with the roof. Once it's stuck down, you can't move it! It sticks. I carry a roll of Eternabond with us at all times because you never know when you or a neighbor is going to need it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:08 AM   #7
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Sorry for the delay, be busy thanks for all the ideas going to order the eternabond and give it a try.
Chris have already tried to hammer back down it did go down but came back up. I think they could have used more than staples to put these down. I will take pics I also plan to put the roof caulking on the edges of the eternabond unless there is a reason i shouldn't
Old 01-27-2012, 02:09 AM   #8
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

I would think what you are proposing would be the easiest, cheapest way to get what sounds like a simple repair done. I will recommend using Eternabond tape (preferable as wide as you get). It may be beneficial to completely clean the roof material before you make the cut as it will be more difficult to clean the edges after the cut is made. The eternabond should seal the roof back with no problems. Please post pics and let us know how the repair goes. It will be valuable information to the rest of us on the forum that hopefully we would not have to use, but in the event we do...... As a disclaimer be sure to consider that this is presented as opinion only, far from being backed up by any experience on roof repairs whatsoever......to date (knock on wood)!!
Bingo
would never hold it against ya bingo thanks
Old 01-27-2012, 02:18 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
You will really not need to caulk around the eternabond. You will also need to make sure you place it where you want it the first time. You will only get one chance! Good luck and looking forward to the pictures.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote