Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2012, 06:16 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Plastic Fittings Dope/Compound

Is there any thing besides the white Teflon tape than can be used on the plastic connectors on the Montana to ensure a good seal that will stay tight?

Thanks

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Silicone.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
the way those connections work you shouldn't need anything. jmo. Teflon on the threads will help get it tighter, the tape acts as a lubricant on the threads. but remember teflon tape isn't a true sealer.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I have used teflon impregnated pipe dope, but my favorite is Blue locktite thread sealant.
I don't like Teflon tape myself.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Long ago a plumber told me that teflon tape is not intended for plastic pipe fittings for the reasons mentioned that it acts like a lubricant and therefore shouldn't be used. Like Ozz mentioned, pipe dope should be good or nothing since many plastic threaded pipes are sorta self-sealing when tightened down. These have worked for me in the trailer and the stick house.

Tom, you mention silicon. What type or kind? I haven't heard of silicone being used as pipe dope, but I've used it successfully in adhesive or caulking applications.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Art, I started using plain old clear silicone out of a squeeze tube on drains years ago. We had a double stainless sink installed in the kitchen that would leak whenever the large side was filled and the drain opened. I took the drain apart, cleaned it, re-tightened it to no avail. Then I wondered if silicone would work around the tapered plastic washer, and voila - no more leak. I don't use it if I don't need it, but if I do, I don't hesitate. BTW: when I hooked up our dishwasher, I found out that taking the drain apart wasn't a problem either, but I did clean off the old silicone and reapplied a new bead.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
When we built our house I was having trouble getting a threaded fitting to seal for a pressure check. Tried twice with pipe dope and couldn't get it to seal. The plummer/inspector told me to clean it up and use some teflon tape, it worked.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:46 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Just to guide ones thinking ... if you're talking about pipe threads as in male tapered threads that screw into female taper threads, then teflon tape or pipe dope will assist in the sealing. It you're talking about most any other fitting on our Montanas as in the plastic tubing that pushes over the barbed fittings with a compression nut to hold it in place ... the threads on these fittings have no sealing purpose, so taping or doping them up won't do much for you. All the threads are for is to chinch up the compression nuts. Granted silicone may provide enough resistance to keep the nut from occasionally backing off, but it'll have nothing to do with the actual sealing. If you have a fitting that just won't seal, try cutting off only about 1 inch of the tubing and slipping it back over the fitting or in an extreme instance ... replace the fitting as the barbs are worn.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote