Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2011, 07:52 AM   #1
Nono Geno
Established Member

M.O.C. #9918
Ca. north coast question

We are traveling from central Ca. to Fort Bragg, Ca. this next week then on up the coast. Have any of you traveled north from Fort Bragg? I was told to go back to 128 to Cloverdale then up 101 because the road is a hard pull. What do you think?

Nono Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
First several miles on 128 from Cloverdale isn't easy. Once you get to Boonville, the rest of the drive is ok. I much prefer 20 from Ft Bragg to Willits. It's not bad....slow but a nice drive.

We have not been north of Ft Bragg. We have pulled south to Jenner (not easy!!). Btw, one of our favorite campgrounds is Pomo in Ft Bragg.
Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
Nono Geno
Established Member

M.O.C. #9918
Thanks Ken, we are planning on staying at Pomo. It's nice to hear good reports on places to stay for a few days. Looked like a nice place. It's one of those, lets see where we end up and no reservations. I want to go to Anderson Valley and North Coast Brewing!! We would like to get into Oregon but only have 2 weeks.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Gene,
Boont ale @ Anderson valleyis a great reason to drive 128! I'd just rather do it without the RV!
Ft Bragg is also home to thanksgiving coffee co...not sure if they have a store front.
Also south on hwy 1 about 15 minutes is the small town of Mendocino, great stop for a visit. They filmed "same time next year" & "murder she wrote".

We're in Trinidad now. Took 101, about 4 1/2 hours from Santa Rosa.....not sure I'd want to go Hwy1, 101 was nice but a good pull

Ken
Old 09-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
If you have the least doubts about driving narrow and very windy roads with steep drop offs then don't drive north of Ft. Bragg with your rig. Take 20 over to 101 and then finish out norward on it. 1 will reconnect at Ligette. The rest of the way it is 1 and 101 with decent roads. It can be done and some of us have done it. But unless you have a very compelling reason to do this stretch of road take the 20 and don't look back. Have a great trip.

By the way we loved the Pomo RV park. One of the most roomy and secluded sites we've ever stayed in. At the time there was little to no Verizon service at Pomo so we had to drive up the the Safeway and park in the 3rd or 4th spot left of the door to get a good signal! Normally that would not have been a problem but since my brother was driving up to join us we needed the service to know when to look for him. It bacame even more important since he ended up having a stroke. Fortunately he recovered rather quickly and has had several more but has recovered 99.9%! We are so fortunate.

Anyway enjoy your trip. Later, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Ditto, Dennis is right...At&t doesn't work at Pomo either. Btw, cash only @ Pomo, no credit cards!

Ken
Old 09-11-2011, 04:24 AM   #7
Nono Geno
Established Member

M.O.C. #9918
Thanks for all of your comments. Pomo web site doesn't say cash only that I could see. And thanks Dennis for input about 20. I think I will take it back over to 101. If you ever come up 99 through Chowchilla and golf, we have a really nice rv park that includes a round for 2 with your overnight fee.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
We take 20 over to Ft. Bragg, I have taken 128 before but prefer 20. We are heading over to Westport which is abou 20 miles north of Ft. Bragg to camp on the coast line. It's dry camping but well worth it. We will be leaving tomorrow morning, we have stayed in Ft. Bragg at a camp ground that is right by the harbor on the left side of the road going into Ft. Bragg. It's not bad but nothing to right home about.
Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:33 AM   #9
Nono Geno
Established Member

M.O.C. #9918
John & Debbie, I think it's the Harbor RV Park. My grandfather used to spend his summers there in his cab-over camper salmon fishing. As I remember it was just ok. My Chief says they stay at a KOA in Westport beach front, beautiful, but a little expensive.