Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
Johnsonw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9830
RV GPS

I am in the process of buying a new truck. I want a GPS, but I want to be able to set it for the height and weight of my 5th wheel. I have the following questions:
-Can any of the factory installed GPS units, be upgraded with Truck/RV software?
-What is the best Truck/RV aftermarket GPS?

Johnsonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Garmin makes a trucker friendly GPS. Go to www.garmin.com to check them out. I have the indash unit in my '08 Chevy and wish it could be upgraded to a trucker unit, No luck....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
When my Garman Street Pilot finally gives out, I'll be getting the Garman for truckers.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
if your thinking of buying a gm the factory gps is linked with on star .when you call on star for a destination download you can tell them your pulling a 5 wheeler and they will route you the right route.the new 2011 gm works that way.it is a slick system.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
Johnsonw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9830
Thanks, I am thinking about buying a GMC. When I questioned the dealer, he said to buy an after market unit, as the GM unit was behind the times. Sounds like he wasn't informed. I will contact on star to see what they can do for me.
Johnsonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Johnson, I have the GM on-board GPS and while convenient, it does not do what most other aftermarket GPS's do. For example, the one my BIL uses will tell you your speed, and the speed limit for the area you're in, Mine doesn't, The upgrade on the GM is every two years and costs $200.00. No height or traffic information either. I don't think it has the # of POI's either. I did not order my truck with this unit but when the dealer got it in it was installed. I did not have to pay for it as the deal had already been made. We carry a Magellan 1475T as a backup. It has found restaurants the GM unit hasn't. Keep in mind, mine is an '08 model. Maybe the newer ones are better. I would ask for a complete rundown on one before spending the $2500 that GM wants. Also, remember, Onstar is free the first year only on a new GM and is a fee service after that. Hope this helps you make a decision.....
Old 08-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I have a Garmin I bought a few years ago. Last year after I updated there was a setting where I could select truck. I think it affects the routing, however, I am not sure.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
I have the Garmin 465T designed for truckers and I like it. I put in the height, total length, total weight, weight per axle and it has road data such as bridge heights, road limitations. It also alerts to weighing scales, and grades plus many other features.

George
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
DO NOT BUY IT!!!

Hope I have your attention! I love GM, and will always buy them, but their GPS system leaves a LOT to be desired. Let's start with the cost. If memory serves me, I believe it's around $1200 or $1500. Is it upgradeable - yes, each year they come out with a new DVD that will set you back another $180. Additionally, the vehicle must be STOPPED before you can program it. While that may be a safety feature to keep the driver from diverting their attention, it also means your co-pilot can't set it either. Here's the coup-de-grace: if you plan on going to Alaska, you won't be able to use it, as they don't have the Alaskan road system on the DVD. That's right, you can watch your little marker travel all over the map of Alaska, but you'll never know what road you are on. GM sure missed the boat on this one.

Instead, buy a Garmin or similar unit. Much cheaper, even for updates, and you can switch it from vehicle to vehicle need be.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
the new gms 2011 sytem is different then earlier models if you dont get the directions and naviations package with on star then i would say the system is not worth the price.with on star they do everything for you. the navigation sytem it self is not every useful.i have a 2003 gm and use my garmin 465t.that garmin is excellent.all gps have to be updated after so many years just like gm sytem but i would not update for at least 5 years.i will be buying a new gm and will be buying the naviagtion system.if you buy thet direction package you can buy 3 years at atime for at lot less money,you can buy it when you use the truck.and cancell it when your not useing your truck as much
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:40 AM   #11
KDS MONY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7362
Tom S got it right. The biggest drawback is the Navigoddess can not enter or change a route while going down the road. She got one of the new Garmin Nuvi's and is much happier with it. Hopefully the truck will out last several generations of GPS, Best wishes, Jay and Kathy
KDS MONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:46 AM   #12
KDS MONY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7362
Johnson. just an after thought, get a copy of the Rand-McNally Motor carriers Atlas it will show all designated roads and list by state all height restrictions and restricted roads. We try to stay on designated roads thinking that if the road is good enough for a semi tractor trailer I can probably get our rig down the road safely too!! IMO more reliable than a GPS for restrictions etc, Best wishes, Jay and Kathy
KDS MONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:37 AM   #13
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
What is it that Tom Hanks said? "Stupid is as Stupid does."

I just tried to go through Albany, NY to Vermont by using my Tom Tom One XL without reading the map.

DON'T DO IT! That idiot thing had me going through gyrations just to stay on the road I was already on.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:42 AM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
ARJ, I learned some time ago that the GPS's are a very convenient tool when looking for directions in and around town. I had the same experience with you SO I do not use the GPS enroute except for mileage and time. I plan my trip using the truckers Atlas to avoid low overhangs and such. When we approach a town that we have to go through, my DW puts her knitting down and helps me spot proper roads. Four eyes are better than two. Perhaps I have a substandard GPS (in-dash unit in '08 Chevy), but the GPS has had me scratching my head several times. Sometimes the routing may get you there a little quicker, BUT it doesn't take into account narrow streets and very sharp turns and low overhangs.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #15
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
I agree-the gps is great around town (sort of). My problem centered around someone taking the atlas out of the truck and putting in the car.

We now have 2.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #16
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
I have the factory GPS and I would not get it again. Way to costly to upgrade and not very flexible. I purchased a Nuvi for a trip in the car and it is way better than the factory GPS in the truck. As already stated more flexible and much more information. When I looked into it a couple of years ago some had free updates.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote