Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2005, 03:41 AM   #1
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Truck Stop Fueling

Does anyone have a step-by-step procedure for using the truck side pumps at a truck stop? I use the car side for filling my Dodge diesel, but with 40 feet of trailer/truck, it can be a challenge at times. Every time I pull into a truck stop, I chicken out of pulling into the truck side. I worry about screwing up the procedures, and have fears of the truckers filling their 100 gal tanks from the slave pump at my expense.

mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:34 AM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I look for a sign that says Motor Homes/RV's. The standard nozzle for the big trucks is to large for our trucks and feeds the fuel to fast. If they do not have a RV lane I will take up the entire lane at the car side and just move out as soon as I am done.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:20 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DHenry

I look for a sign that says Motor Homes/RV's. The standard nozzle for the big trucks is to large for our trucks and feeds the fuel to fast. If they do not have a RV lane I will take up the entire lane at the car side and just move out as soon as I am done.
That's what we do also. However, there are some truck stops that have one lane dedicated to pickups that have the small nozzle.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:47 AM   #4
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
All you need to do at at truck stop is to pull up to the main pump most usually on your left; pick up the phone that is located on the island and wait for the attendant to answer. State "Private Sale" on what ever pump you are on when the phone is answered. Sometimes the attendant will ask you how you are going to pay. You tell them and they will turn the pump on. After you are finished, pull out of the gas lane so other trucks can pull in behind you and go in and pay. Simple as that. We have had no problem using the truck lanes. Even had a couple of drivers inquire to the mileage we were getting. Every once in a while, you will have to go into the station and ask the diesel clerk to turn on the pump that you are on. That happened to us just south of Tampa. Usually though, the clerk answers the phone. I was extremely nervous the first time I used the truck side of the truck stop, but the more you use it, the easier it becomes. Just be sure you watch the fuel shut off. The first time I used it, I had diesel all over the side of my truck. With the larger nozzles, the fuel flies out, not like the ones on the car side. Good luck!
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:40 AM   #5
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Excellent. Thanks for the advice. I'll try the truck side on the next trip. My understanding is that there are two pumps (master and slave) for each aisle, so that the 18 wheelers can fill up both tanks at one time. Do you have to tell them which one you are using? I assume that the master is on the left. Do you need to keep an eye on the slave pump while fueling on the master?
Old 10-31-2005, 09:12 AM   #6
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Mike-
What I have found when there are two pumps like you are describing is that you have to first reset the master pump. If you are to use the master pump you will have to remove the hose from the slave pump, pull the holding device up to turn the pump on and then lay the hose on the ground or across the top of the pump. Both pumps have to be in the on position for either one of them to work.

I like filling up at the truck stops because they fill a lot faster with the larger hoses and higher volume pumps. Down side is I don't like fighting the truckers for a spot to fill up or usually wait in line to get to the pumps.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:55 AM   #7
jackw87
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3007
If you are using the master pump you do nothing with the slave side and If you are using the slave side you must turn the master pump on and lay the hose on the pump island the master is the pump with the price per gal and total price on it the slave has no reading insturments on them
jackw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:58 AM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
When I use the truck stops I look as I pull in for the sign overhead that usually says car diesel or rv diesel. If I cannot locate one I use the outside lane with diesel on the car gas side. Sometimes you have to take up the entire lane to get it and other times you dont. I always try to be quick and polite when over in the car side to not hold up traffic to bad. I pay with credit card for almost everything on the road so I am not required to call the attendant. I have also found that many of the newer truck stops are putting the smaller nozzles on all the truck fuel pumps. They seem to be to the right of the trucker pumps.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 01:13 PM   #9
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Mazeef: From your signature I see you have a Dodge 3500. You can fill them with the fast truckers pump as the Dodge accepts the larger nozzle. We use the Truck stops most of the time. Diana
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:59 PM   #10
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Charlie: I've never seen a "master/slave" pump set up where you had to turn the slave on to use the master. Only thing to watch is go easy on the handle. Those pumps will pump 300 gals in 10 minutes or less. The pair, I mean.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:59 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob Pasternak

Charlie: I've never seen a "master/slave" pump set up where you had to turn the slave on to use the master. Only thing to watch is go easy on the handle. Those pumps will pump 300 gals in 10 minutes or less. The pair, I mean.
All the Flying J's have the master/slave type in their RV lines. For example, my Ford has the tank fillers on the left side. If I pull in and the master pump is on the right side, say pump #13, it will have a slave pump on the left side with the same number. I get the master pump started, lay the hose down on the cement pad, then go around and remove the pump hose from the slave pump and begin filling. When through, I hang up both hoses, pull out and go in and get my receipt.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:33 AM   #12
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
That is the way it was previously explained to me, so I assumed it to be that way and have always done it that way.....thanks for the clearing it up. Appears I have been making it harder to pump diesel than it should be.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:47 AM   #13
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Thanks for all the help. I feel like a expert now! All I need is one of those baby bats to test the tires, and I'll fit right in!
Old 11-01-2005, 02:25 AM   #14
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
I use the truck pumps. But, some states have priavte vehicle deisel at a lower price because they tax it less. Can be 8 to 10 cents a gallon. I think AZ is one of these states. Ask a truck stop.

Note, you can get a Flying J or Loves or what ever truck stop card even if you are not a trucker. It gets you the cash price with credit card and somes times even better.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 04:09 AM   #15
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Be careful filling up on the big rig side and useing your credit card. A lot of the big names will charge you five percent more per gallon with a credit card. You may have to go in and check with the att. or call and find out on the pump phone. This is only on the big rig pumps.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 07:46 PM   #16
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
I ran into the 8 cent thing in Az this after I'd been paying the price for 3 months. Before you pump diesel at a station in Az inquire if they give the discount. This year if they don't I will find the one that does and buy there. I noticed at one station in Camp Verde that the truck pumps were higher, but the lines at the car islands were to long and they wouldn't give the discount.
dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 02:23 AM   #17
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
The pumps in AZ are each labled to show which tax rate you are paying. It pays to look. The Chevron station in Gila Bend has the pumps side by side.
Some other states are quircky as well. In Michigan, some pumps are reserved for contract pricing. You have to fuel at the car diesel pumps.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote