Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2005, 12:43 PM   #1
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Tonneau cover

Did a search found one post time to bing it up again. Looking for soft covers for the truck like the Access, or Truxedo. A'm alittle worried about the clearance from the pull handle on the hitch and the cover. Seating ideal the handle rides 1" above the bed, the handle could be pulled down and held 2" below the bed. So may be able to go with Low-Profile type?? Don't like the Fold-a-Cover or Retrex type because I may add a in bed fuel tank down the road. This sounds like a nice Christmas Gift.

Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:50 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I saw one not long ago that had an opening for the handle. In fact I think there is a section that comes off so you can leave the rest on and access the hitch. It is a soft one though.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:50 PM   #3
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Dennis, Take the pin out of your handle and let it fall 180 degrees. Then repin it.I did this and it's still easy to operate. Your covers will clear with no problems.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Good idea jsmitfl; got the tapes out and it looks like the hitch has a 6" rise and turning it over it will just hint the slider handle. Back to square one.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:32 PM   #5
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Dennis
Go on the INTERNET and look for a Xtang cover. We added one over our storage box and Reese hitch. The one we got came with flat braces secured to the cover and used industrial Velcro for the sides. The end is solid on top of the tailgate and is secured with a latch. When closed everything is waterproof with no bulges. Open, It roles up and is secured by two adjustable snaps at the end of the truck bed. Also, look at the transfer Flo replacement tanks. We have the same truck and the new tank carries 45 gal. That leaves me more space in the storage box in the bed.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 02:42 PM   #6
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I just put on a Lorado low profile toneau cover and it just fits over my hitch handle. If your hitch handle is too high you can reverse it so it points downward.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:16 PM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I use the Xtang soft cover with bows. Had to go that way because of the fullwidth tool box up front. I wanted the roll up but the tool box nixed that.
Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 12:48 AM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
You have a Reese if it is like my 16 K you can reverse the pull handle 180 as metioned above
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:50 AM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
The handle for my 16k Husky hitch fits under my Access cover with no mods required. The Access cover is mounted on top of the bed side rails, this gives a bit more clearance than covers that are mounted on the inside of the bed rails.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:57 AM   #10
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
I have the "Access" cover on my short box Dodge Ram, it is very convenient, as the bows are attached to the cover, and roll up together, and it comes with quick release cinch straps to secure it in the rolled-up position. I have turned the handle 180 degrees on my Reese 16K Slider, so it will clear the tonneau cover even if the head pivots to the side, it is true the handle will hit the slider handle when pulled out, I just release the slider handle to the neutral position, then I have plenty of clearance (if the handle is in the manuevering position, then the clearance is not an issue).
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:21 PM   #11
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
I've been very happy with my Access. The cover sits about 2" above the rails, so you should be OK.

Norm
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:35 PM   #12
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Thinks for every bodies input. Am putting the Access Lorado on my short list for now. I think I can hold the pivot head of the hitch over with a strap, so I should be ok on height. Lorado has a low profile to give the max clearance for the Monty, easy adjusts, and what looks like the best latching system. Little more money but some say it's thicker and maybe less prone to rip.