Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2006, 09:25 AM   #41
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ormee and Ginette

What Guns Can I bring Legally into Canada

Check this Canada Customs Website before entering Canada with a weapon... If undeclared and found guilty of transporting a weapon into Canada you risk all including criminal charges...

http://gocanada.about.com/cs/borderc...crosborder.htm
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
I will bet "BLACK GUNS " are not allowed up there
I also notice one thing about Canada customs is that they don't like takeing any cr#p from anyone, my thought is that Canada officers don't get the respect that Mexican officers do and thay[CANADA] will have less of a sense of humor about law breaking.

another thought I have is if faced with a situation and you do only whats legal and not everything you can.....well how can you face the person you are protecting??

cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:22 AM   #42
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
GUN?? a BIG GUN!! Shot gun, Winchester Defender 18.5" barrell, and holds 7 + 1 in the barrell, and a 45ACP. If you can cant carry through Canada have your gunsmith mail it to a reputable shop in the US, close to the border if you realy need protection. then when you go home mail it back to your gunsmith pick it up. But thats a lot of work.

TT2
Old 01-23-2006, 10:43 AM   #43
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mpl897

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ormee and Ginette

What Guns Can I bring Legally into Canada

Check this Canada Customs Website before entering Canada with a weapon... If undeclared and found guilty of transporting a weapon into Canada you risk all including criminal charges...

http://gocanada.about.com/cs/bordercrossing/a/gunsacrosborder.htm
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
I will bet "BLACK GUNS " are not allowed up there
I also notice one thing about Canada customs is that they don't like takeing any cr#p from anyone, my thought is that Canada officers don't get the respect that Mexican officers do and thay[CANADA] will have less of a sense of humor about law breaking.

another thought I have is if faced with a situation and you do only whats legal and not everything you can.....well how can you face the person you are protecting??
My son, who was in the Air Force at the time, and I went across the Canadian border in ND, heading to Winnipeg from Minot AFB. He warned me ahead of time, not to joke around with the Canadian border guards. My son is normally know for his sense of humor.

When we got to the border, something was said about the weather, and I made a joke about it. The guard laughed. My son, who married a terrific Canadian gal, had made that trip many, many times. After I we were moving down the road, I looked over at my son and he was white as a sheet. He turned and said, "Dad, I told you not to joke around with those guards." I was astonded, I told him that it was only a little about the weather... He told me that I didn't understand, and not to try it again.

Really???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:51 AM   #44
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
You know, having camped since I was two months old, I can seriously say that there was only one time—at least from what I can actually remember—that I thought a gun might be useful.

It was the summer of 1974 and we were camping at the old Coontree campground in the Pisgah National Forest outside of Brevard, NC in a spot right next to a parking area. In the middle of the night a truck came in and a few minutes later a bright light was shone on my parents’ Holiday Rambler. My father poked his head out of the camper after about 15 minutes to see what was the problem whereupon someone called out that they were going to shoot him if he did not get his [obscenity] back in the camper. My mother pulled him back inside and the light stayed on as the men in the truck proceeded to carouse for a couple of hours until things became quiet a little before dawn. It was a long night as we waited for dawn, whereupon I went out one of the windows on the back side of the trailer and went to some friends down the street to go for the ranger, who then came and arrested what turned out to be drunken partiers. It turned out that they DID NOT have a gun, but who could have known in the middle of the night?

That said, my father never felt the need to purchase a gun for safety and to this day I have not. I have often toyed with the idea of purchasing a shotgun to go hunting with my father-in-law, but just have never felt a deep enough desire to do so. I deeply believe in the right for Americans to bear arms, but as to my purchasing one for protection, well, it just is not for me.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:35 AM   #45
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I like your post, Wordsmith.

I have two opposing random thoughts that comes to mind:
1. It would only take ONE time NOT having a gun to totally change someone's life, or someone they love.
2. Someone with a gun could get themselves into hot water that they would not have been in, if they didn't have the extra artifical boldness to confront a situation that they should NOT have confronted.

I'm pro-gun... just random thoughts.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:59 AM   #46
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Dave
Actually that bird is in attack or angry mode otherwise the plum (head feathers) would be up. Rich must have taken the picture.
Happy trails...................
Correct..
Like I said.I am taking the picture and standing about 3 feet from the thing and it is thinking about how it will jump over there and bite my nose off'
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:01 PM   #47
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Dave, Carrying a gun with you at any time or just having one in the house is a problematic situation at best. Looking at the two opposing schools of thought you mention, I suppose everyone has to weigh what they feel is their comfort level with guns. On which side does a person “err”? There is no easy answer. One person may go through life and NEVER find a need for it while the next may save a life by having it.

I will strongly support anyone’s decision either way and certainly am not anti-gun. That said, where I am in my life right now, I will err toward not having the gun. One year from now might find me sporting a different point of view. I will say that my extended family has seen multiple tragedies from the misuse of guns, so that might color my viewpoint. We are, after all, the sum of our experiences but the future might add up to a different stance.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:03 PM   #48
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I have a question about crossing into Canada with our shotgun. It will be broken down and in a case under the bed. How will they know it is there? Do they have you pull the slides out and search the unit?
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:17 PM   #49
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
Declare it!!

I have seen some pretty thorough searches in my trucken days, example: I was a young driver going out thru port huron and pulled up to get checked..customs: what do you have on? [ I was empty ] I said
" A LOAD OF POT".PULL IT AROUND BACK SAID CUSTOMS. YOU SHOULD SEE HOW WELL THEY SERCH, EVEN THOUGH I TOLD THEM I WAS JUST KIDDING
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:21 PM   #50
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Good info from outadhere regarding Packing, Org However it is a reference but you still need to check every states law We have a license from Ohio, Pa and New Hampshire. Being from the hills of Western, Pa we grew up with firearms and have a healthy respect for them but never a fear of them.We have the legal authority to carry concealed but have NEVER to date felt the need to but would do so without hesitation if I felt the need. We do have firearms in our camper as I said I am a sport shooter and love the Sport.. Canada of course is a no no. We along the border understand that. Parrot head leave the shotgun home when going to Canada..You never know..one day you may be waved through and the next day torn apart. It is a well known fact to border guards on both sides that MOST Rivers carry a weapon in the camper. You will lose everything...

I would like to see every gun in the world vanish tomorrow..but that will not happen so we all must make the choice and whatever that my be it will be the right one.It is a tribute to the folks on this forum that we can discuss this volatile
Subject so rationally
Old 01-23-2006, 12:52 PM   #51
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
I thought you could pay $50 for a permit to have the shotgun with you in Canada.
Happy trails.....................
Old 01-23-2006, 01:24 PM   #52
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There IS a way you can get a longun into Canada for hunting, etc..I meant just having it in the camper and crossing the border..Don't do that..We will be going to Canada for the FCRV campvention and there will be NO weapons on board..
Old 01-23-2006, 04:43 PM   #53
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I'm not sure, Sue. I know that if you try to sneak one in and get caught, it is bad. Possible jail. Confiscation of tv & 5ver and everything in it. And I believe that is the correct term - not "impounded". It is gone - you no longer own it - the Canadian govt does - pretty severe. But there are US hunters all the time going to Canada. They are getting them across, as Rich said.

Of course, it might be different if you declare you are going hunting, name your guide company, show your hunting license issed by the Canadian govt

VS

Someone saying, "Oh... I just wanted to cruise around in your country with my rifle in my RV for no particular reason..."

It's possible they may not treat the two situations with the same amount of flexibility... especially if one is headed for the Alberta plains, while the other one is declaring for downtown Toronto.

With all humor(?) aside, Sue, you might want to talk to a gunsmith or gun dealer. I'll bet they would be able to tell you an inexpensive and easy way to accomplish getting your shotgun across the border, that doesn't include an unacceptable risk.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:07 AM   #54
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
We belong to the NRA and I'm sure they can help us. We will be going through Canada on the way to Alaska and want the shotgun while in Alaska. Wonder if that makes a difference. We had planned on getting the permit, had not planned on doing anything illegal.
Happy trails.............................
Old 01-24-2006, 05:14 AM   #55
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sue..Know that you CAN do it because my #1 son and Son-in-law go Moose hunting in Canada and bring over their hunting rifles..your check with the NRA should give you the info
Old 01-25-2006, 11:08 AM   #56
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Protection for me would be my aluminum soft ball bats which are legal in all 50 states and maybe Canada to. A couple of cans of real good pepper spray not the Wal-Mart stuff. I keep things of value in my hardcover book safe. I have a couple of signs that I hang out if we leave the 5vr that read, AREA UNDER CAMERA SURVEILANCE. I am just another law abiding former combat vet.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:18 PM   #57
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Better check on the pepper spray in Canada.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:15 PM   #58
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
I feel that I am most threatned at night while we sleep. The locks on these trailers aren't much in the way of security as far as the tumblers in the locks are concerned. I came up with a simple FIX so no one can open my door with another key if I am inside. Drill a small hole in the fixed part of the door handle. Use a piece of #10 copper wire and run it through the hole and make a small hook on the end to secure the inside lock lever so it can't be turned with a key from the outside. I also carry a pistol that i keep in the bedroom area, so the door hook gives me a few added seconds to get to the weapon. DON'T TRY CARRYING A WEAPON INTO MEXICO OR CANADA. They consider it an invasion of their countries.
WACOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:23 PM   #59
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Maybe just a very noticeable sticker on the outside of door, stating that, "This unit is protected by _____________." Now, while most say, "Yeah, right!" There is still that little hesitation in the back of one's mind... maybe just enough of a doubt to give one a little added protection?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:03 PM   #60
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I think the best advise has already been given. If you decide to take a firearm with you do not advertise it. Most quality firearms cost big bucks and letting people know you have one invites theft. Be low profile, keep it out of sight of people coming in and out of your trailer. Have it where you can get to it if needed and don't talk about it.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote