Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2020, 09:05 PM   #1
Josh_713
Established Member

M.O.C. #26352
Nuisance... or shall I say NEW-sance.

Hi all,

I’m recently new to the forum so here I go with my first post...

Just replaced our 2016 3820FK with a brand new 2020 3855BR. Have to say we loved our front kitchen but after many issues with the FK (Hate to say she may have been the lemon of the bunch), we took the plunge and purchased a 3855BR Legacy with Full Body Paint (got love it)!

Anyway, as we all know... a new unit with no issues doesn’t exist. First thing I’ve noticed has me a bit puzzled so I’m hoping you all might have some ideas. When plugged into my truck with the running lights on, the top rear marker lights and the most aft side marker light on the driver side will not illuminate. The mid and forward marker lights on the driver side, all the side markers on the passenger side and front cap top markers all work... so why won’t the others??? My thoughts are that perhaps they were never wired in from the factory but after a quick peel back of the underbelly, all seems to be wired. Anybody have any thoughts?

Normally I would just take it back to the dealer where I bought it and make it their problem but they’re not that close to where we live. Hoping for a quick fix in my driveway...

Josh_713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:12 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I bet those lights are all fed by the left rear taillight. There is a wire junction behind the left taillight on my 2012 and I doubt the Old World's Craftsmen haven't changed since then. Pull the brake/taillight and backup light on that side and see what wiring is there and if it is all hot.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:38 AM   #3
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
If the light covers can be taken off, you can check for 12 volts at each light to see if they are getting power. If not there must be a disconnected wire or loose connection somewhere.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:41 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
With the lights on, pull one of the non working lights and check for voltage. You will need to run your meter ground to a good frame ground point. If there is 12 volts there then you know it is a bad or loose ground. If there is no voltage, then you know the 12 volt wire is bad or loose. As Carl said, they probably all are wired from one of the other rear lights.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:32 PM   #5
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
I bet those lights are all fed by the left rear taillight. There is a wire junction behind the left taillight on my 2012 and I doubt the Old World's Craftsmen haven't changed since then. Pull the brake/taillight and backup light on that side and see what wiring is there and if it is all hot.
When replacing the lights, what magic stuff are you using to seal it back?
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #6
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_713 View Post
Hi all,

I’m recently new to the forum so here I go with my first post...

Just replaced our 2016 3820FK with a brand new 2020 3855BR. Have to say we loved our front kitchen but after many issues with the FK (Hate to say she may have been the lemon of the bunch), we took the plunge and purchased a 3855BR Legacy with Full Body Paint (got love it)!

Anyway, as we all know... a new unit with no issues doesn’t exist. First thing I’ve noticed has me a bit puzzled so I’m hoping you all might have some ideas. When plugged into my truck with the running lights on, the top rear marker lights and the most aft side marker light on the driver side will not illuminate. The mid and forward marker lights on the driver side, all the side markers on the passenger side and front cap top markers all work... so why won’t the others??? My thoughts are that perhaps they were never wired in from the factory but after a quick peel back of the underbelly, all seems to be wired. Anybody have any thoughts?

Normally I would just take it back to the dealer where I bought it and make it their problem but they’re not that close to where we live. Hoping for a quick fix in my driveway...
Welcome to the forum - looking forward to your input
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:55 PM   #7
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
When replacing the lights, what magic stuff are you using to seal it back?
I've had mine out before they weren't sealed with anything. If I wanted them sealed I would have put a bead of silicone around the crease on the back of the light I just pushed it in. I didn't do that for fear of having to take them out and having a hard time getting them out

Even if any water gets in there I don't think it's going to hurt anything. It should just run down the back side of the fiberglass and out the bottom
Old 08-08-2020, 10:33 PM   #8
Josh_713
Established Member

M.O.C. #26352
Thanks to all for the input... Did a little troubleshooting today but still no luck.

Correction to my first post, after digging in to it, it appears all side marker lights are working (3 per side). Upon removing the left rear tail light, there is in-fact a junction where all marker lights feed into one marette connector. I metered things out and it appears that all is working (ground and power). The fact that the aft side marker taillight feeds into this junction, and is illuminated, should tell me that the particular junction is wired properly? Correct?

If so, this would lead me to believe that the rear marker lights are faulty BUT this begs the question... why are my rear tail running lights also not illuminating? All I can get from those is brake and signal, no running lights!

This one has me puzzled.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:40 AM   #9
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Dumb question but did you check them bulbs or install new ones the rule that possibility out. ?
Old 08-09-2020, 07:31 AM   #10
Josh_713
Established Member

M.O.C. #26352
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Dumb question but did you check them bulbs or install new ones the rule that possibility out. ?
All lights are led... I figured because the brake and signal work on the tail lights, the running lights should also work?

Going back at it today, hopefully with better luck.

2019 Ram 3500 Limited Mega Cab DRW
Old 08-09-2020, 07:44 AM   #11
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I suppose the LED fixtures themselves could be bad. Check for 12 volts going to the fixture for the tail light circuit
Old 08-09-2020, 10:05 AM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I thought the rear marker lights (up on the cap) were also not working? That connector seems to deserve more investigation.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:25 AM   #13
Josh_713
Established Member

M.O.C. #26352
Working on it now...

Tail lights, top rear markers and license plate not working. Metered the most aft side marker lights and I’m only drawing 2 volts when illuminated. Is this right? They seem awfully dim compared to the other side markers located further forward. Double checked at the junction box on the king pin and 12 volts there. Ground wires look good...

Hmmmm
Old 08-09-2020, 10:28 AM   #14
Josh_713
Established Member

M.O.C. #26352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
I thought the rear marker lights (up on the cap) were also not working? That connector seems to deserve more investigation.
The wire running down from the top marker lights feeds into that left tail light, wiring looks good. That same left side rear marker feeds into the same marette and is getting its 2 volts (as mentioned in previous post). So there is obviously power there but not enough to power all the lights? Thoughts?
Old 08-09-2020, 10:36 AM   #15
Josh_713
Established Member

M.O.C. #26352
Metered the power wire at that left tail light junction and only getting 6.7 volts.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #16
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Bad connection or ground issue
Old 08-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #17
MT167
Established Member

M.O.C. #20990
I had a similar issue on our 13 3900fb. Turned out the power wire was grounding out near the rear of the trailer, not enough to blow the fuse on the TV but enough to draw enough voltage so the rear lights would not illuminate. Took quite a while to locate the problem.
MT167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:05 PM   #18
Josh_713
Established Member

M.O.C. #26352
So I’ve disconnected the power and ground wires at the junction behind the left tail light. As soon I let the wires go, the right tail light illuminates and all the side markers brighten up and each test at around 12 volts.

Top marker lights still not working even when I apply power to the wires that I had believed to be the one to go vertically to the top of the rear cap.

To be continued...

Old 08-09-2020, 03:24 PM   #19
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Hum, now I'm starting to think a wire is rubbed through touching the frame somewhere
Old 08-09-2020, 08:07 PM   #20
Josh_713
Established Member

M.O.C. #26352
Lightbulb

Let there be light... for now...

So after messing with this wiring all day, I have managed to get all lights working! Let’s see if you guys can help me make sense of this...

After disconnecting all the running lights/marker lights wires behind both tail lights, I was able to start metering things out and labelling each wire. To my surprise (electrical is not my forte) I learned there is power wires to both left and right tail light bundles. I always thought the power fed down the left side of the trailer and was bridged over to the right side??

Anyways... as mentioned earlier. I was able to power each tail light but when I joined in the wiring from the top marker lights, all lights would quit and I was back to square one. I then pulled the top left marker light with its associated wire that ran from top left straight down to left tail light. Inspected the wire and no signs of breaks, chaffing, cracks, etc. Did a test with the exposed marker light wire to the left side power wire, and BAM... all top marker lights worked. Next step was to hold my breath and connect all wires as they initially were, and everything worked! Now that I was convinced I just had a bad connection, I very carefully started putting Humpty Dumpty back together again. With everything back together and the tail lights, etc installed, I stood back and admired the lights and took a picture. Then proceeded to climb halfway up the ladder to reposition the backup camera and BAM... out go all the lights and the side markers go dim again. As I’m standing there in disbelief, they came back on, and this is when I really start to get frustrated!! Did a quick jiggle of each light and nothing flickered, all remained illuminated. Decided I couldn’t take anymore for today, and walked away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6F2D3357-2B43-4694-AF9C-EACD6332C75F.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	6986