Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2011, 04:11 AM   #1
GRHooper
Established Member

M.O.C. #10295
TIVO and/or DVR?

Does anyone use TIVO or other DVR to record tv shows? Also, how about streaming shows from a computer to the tv? Looks pretty easy -is anyone familiar with a wireless media extender?

Thanks!

GRHooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
remhob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10257
We use TIVO all the time. It is great pre-recording shows and speeding through the commercials. It also allows us to record an entire series of a show we like so that we don't miss an episode when we are not home.
remhob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
For all intents and purposes a TIVO is a DVR device. TIVO is just a brand name of one of the original DVR device manufacturers. Isn't this correct?

With satellite companies renting their receivers for $5 to $7 per month I have always preferred buying a unit, then recovering the cost of it over time, just like a TIVO. I don't like having to rent a DVR every month, even after it's pretty much been paid for.

I would like a DVR but with our plan it's extra (they claim it's free but why is the programming extra - buncha liars?)

Paying for TV sucks. Remember when paying for TV meant no commercials? Now if you want no commercial channels that's even more you pay and even more extra if you want to record for later via a DVR device. What a racket.

But we must pay for all the conveniences. How else am I gonna be able to haul my heavy RV to a remote location to enjoy the wild, then turn on the TV and recline like I'm at home while living it up in Yosemite!?

A DVR is a good idea. Anyone who gets one will never go back to not having one (all I've talked to). I just have succumbed to it yet.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We use a DirecTV HD DVR and wouldn't be without it. As Art says, great to fast forward thru the commerical junk. Ours works fine with the Winegard Traveler Auto searching dish arrangement on top of the Montana......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We bought one of these http://www.magnavox.com/p/spec_player.php?id=58 Works like tivo but no monthly fee, will work on antenna, cable and dish, has analog and digital tuners
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:06 AM   #6
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Thanks Charlie, u da man. I couldn't afford the Tivo route and we have the DVR built into our receiver for the Uverse package from AT&T and we record at least 80% of the shows we watch. We are so spoiled zipping through the commercials, but we can't take the AT&T receiver with us so you just might have the answer we are looking for.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:30 AM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
If anyone buys one of these this forum may help you with hooking up all those wires.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...86&postcount=1
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:08 AM   #8
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
We stream movies, etc. from our Apple MacBook Pro computer to our television via a HDMI cable. This works great at home, when connected to our Comcast cable. Will not work that well, on the road with an air card, USB modem because a movie will eat up roughly 1 GB, +/-, and most air cards are limited to 5GB per month.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:41 AM   #9
oompah

M.O.C. #11220
We use a Roku to stream video to the TV. Connects to the wireless network, and very easy to set up. Bought one for DS#1 a couple of years ago because he asked for one (not because I knew what it was). DS#3 bought one for DW's birthday, and it works good. Friends of ours use theirs for all sorts of video channels, bt so far we're happy with watching Netflix movies with it.

I still have my old TiVo in a box somewhere. We put it up when Dish Network came to the house, but I miss the ease of programming that TiVo had.
oompah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We have a satellite DVR that we take with us on our trips. I just jerk it out of the house and stick it in the RV. It has HDMI output and the TV has that type input as well. When at the stick house we record a lot of programs. Sometimes we watch them at the stick house, and we can also watch those we have not watched yet in the RV. I do not have to have the satellite antenna hooked up to watch programs on the DVR. Also, I hook up the batwing antenna and I can record when at a CG, the local stations coming in through the DVR. At the stick house I use a PC, and an AppleTV, but I prefer the PC streaming to the big screen. If you miss an episode of your favorite tv show you can go to the major network the next day and view the program, streaming it to the tv. As stated, streaming on the road can eat up you usage capabilities and most are 5Gb. I was lucky and got in on the ground floor of the iPad phenomena and I have unlimited bandwidth. I use HULU.COM to stream tv and movies using that. It works well.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #11
GRHooper
Established Member

M.O.C. #10295
Thanks for all your thoughts! Does anyone who uses satellite TV have a preference between Directv and Dish? How about a preferred vendor(s)? Thanks again!
GRHooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #12
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Jerry,
Dish has recently introduced Dish on the Go, You can purchase it by the month while you're on the road or you can add it to your stick house service for $7/mo. I added an external hard disk that becomes a dvr.

Check out:
http://www.dishformyrv.com/

The VIP211 receiver is $149 although I have seen them as low as $100 on ebay.

I don't have experience with DirectTV but the Dish package has worked well for us.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #13
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Jerry,

I use the same setup Ken has, but mine is VIP211K. Hooked up external hard drive to it, paid one time fee $39.99, and it is a DVR without the monthly DVR fee. I use this with the Carry Out Automatic Disk Antenna.

We also have a Sling box on the house VIP-722, which lets my wife watch TV on here Droid.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #14
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We have been using TiVo for about 7-8 years, even bought a second unit. Now, recently our cable company here in BC offered us their Pace HD-DVR for free. Yes totally free as long as we keep our phone, Internet and cable bundled with them. Then after three years the DVR is ours to keep. If at any time we decide we don't want their services we only have to return the unit. So we went with the outstanding deal. Comparing the Pace HD-DVR to the TiVo....... The TiVo is much more user friendly, you can fast forward or SKIP through comercials much quicker and easier than the Pace.
...the Pace is totally free with no monthly fees, and is HD. The TiVo has a monthly fee of about $13 or you can purchase a life time of service for about $300.
Whatever way you go I am sure you enjoy the features.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:29 AM   #15
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
We love our TIVO at home.
For the short times we're in the RV, a USB TV Tuner connected via a splitter on the TV Signal input cable (Park Cable or Antenna) on our Laptop and Windows Media player (Laptop becomes a DVR) records and functions almost as easily as the TIVO. However Windows media player must know the programs (program guide), usually updated via WI-FI.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote