Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Used batteries

I have been looking for solar components and I came across a source for used batteries. I called the number and spoke to the man. He has a business that installs and maintains UPSs for fire departments, police stations, hospitals etc. He has 12 volt AGM 100 AH for $25 each and 120 AH for $30. Search solar on craigslist.com in Reno NV. He says he cant figure it out but people are breaking down his door for these batteries. Go figure! He guarantees the batteries to be good when you take them. He is in Carson City, NV
I dont know the guy.
Just passing it on in case someone is interested.
John.
His ad reads as follows:
Batteries for Solar applications - $30 (Carson)

Reply to: sale-1023819450@craigslist.org
Date: 2009-02-06, 1:18PM PST

C & D 100 amp hr batteries used but still have a lot of life left in them call Brent 775-888-8788

„h Location: Carson
„h it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 1023819450

WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Thanks, John, I'll check this out. It osunds like a good deal if they really have useful life left in them.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:38 AM   #3
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Hi Bob,
You are probably physically the closest MOCer to Carson City. I was hoping you would take an interest and let us know. He said the 120AH batteries weigh about 120 pounds each. The size was close to the normal deep cycle marine battery. Since he has been in the business for years I think he will have batteries in the future. For now I am going to focus my efforts and cash on solar panels. I will worry about the batteries after I recover from the panels. I have heard the average AGM battery costs between 6 and 8 hundred dollars each. So $30 each is really a score even if they are used. He will load test the batteries to prove they will work as advertised. Since they were used in a UPS it's doubtful they were ever over charged OR even deep cycled. I just got back from the doc in Reno yesterday and in addition to my insurance he was wants 4 grand for cataract surgery. I may not even be able to afford solar panels once he gets done with me! Good Luck on the batteries.
John S.
By the way. When you left Quartzsite Roxy & I were at the RV show and didn't get to say goodby. Thanks for the visit and the great platform to work on Hamrad's decals. Give your bride a hug for us and we hope to see you at Siskiyou in May.
John
Old 02-13-2009, 03:01 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
My 12-volt AGM Lifeline D8 batteries weigh about 150 lbs each and cost right around $350 in 2003. I can't imagine getting an AGM battery for $20-30.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Almost worth a trip to Nevada huh? I worked in communications for years. Vendors like this guy update or replace entire systems every few years. The vendor charged us to take away the old batteries and then he had to pay to get rid of the batteries as hazardous waste. Having the phone company pay him to take the batteries and having RVers pay him again to haul the batteries Is a win win situation for the vendor. Is that a win win win situation for the MOC? It is certainly worth a phone call. I have two 8D Gel Cells that are about 7 years old. I don't want to put them in the Monty because they are too awkward to mess with. These smaller batteries are heavy but can be managed easier. It might be a good idea to find the same kind of vendor near you in Iowa. Maybe you can make the same deal.
Best Regards,
John
Old 02-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
We use AGM batteries in marine navigation lights. After 5 years they are replaced. That 5 years includes any storage time before they were put into service. The brand and model is Sunlyte 12-5000X. With proper care and medium cycling of charge they should last 10+ years. They are pretty heavy and a litlle taller than a normal deep cycle battery.

Here is a link that has a price but there are others with additional technical information:
http://www.4lots.com/sunlyte12-5000x100ahrbattery.aspx
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote