Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
DirecTV - UPDATE

My latest addition, Jan '10, the DirecTV DVR, gave up the ghost,, this weekend. Picture would freeze, then go blank, then the receiver would reboot. Now, with it off, it comes on and tries to reboot. I called Direct and they are shipping a new receiver. Be here in 2-3 days. Have to use the HDTV in bedroom for a few days. Life is tough!!!

20 May '10, 1700 hrs (that's 5pm for those of you not familiar with the 24 hr clock), received refurbished receiver from DirecTV. ALL hooked up and running fine. DW is happy again, so that makes me happy again!!!!! Of Course, it just came from up the road in Bloomington, that's near Fontana which is near San Bernadino.

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:00 AM   #2
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Phil,
We had the same experience a couple months ago. Direct TV didn't say anything at the time but after FedEx delivered the receiver, our next bill included a shipping and handling charge of $19.99. The "NEW" unit was obviously "USED" or in their lingo refurbished. There were scratches all over the case. Complaints were handled with a sincere "I'm Sorry". Now we are discovering that shows we have set up to record, work for a few times then just disappear. We miss the showing and have to reprogram the season pass. I think we just got another customers problem. Hope your experience turns out better than ours. Just a heads up.
Later,
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:40 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Gosh guys ..thanks for the encouraging news. We are upgrading to that stuff......Maybe now...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
You'll always get refurbished equipment when it comes directly from Directv!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow Phil.... this could have been a lot worse. It could have happened on Thursday or Friday. This would delay shipping while you are enroute and no telling how long for delivery to Yosemite Lakes.

For the bedroom unit, are you watching that off the air waves? In Jamul? Have you tried the aerial in Jamul? I recall that the reception is pretty bad in that canyon and maybe got one channel and it might not have even been in English. I hope you are up to par in your Ess-pan-yol. Time to disconnect the DVR and play some DVDs. Wanna borrow some?

I'm afraid John is not the only one that has had bad luck with replacement service from DirecTV. Not me, but others I know. But no worries, I've heard bad stories about Dish, too, so test the new unit well.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Art, I have the standard HD Receiver from DirecTV in the bedroom. I haven't used the OTA antenna in about three years. In fact it is not even hooked up to anything right now. If we can't get Sat TV we do the DVD thing. We have around 300 DVDs with us. My spanish is very rusty. I was trying to ask a girl in a restaurant where the bathrooms were and I think I asked her to take a bath with me. (Cathy hates it when I try and speak the local lingo.)

On a replacement receiver. I had the experience once before with a standard HD receiver from DirecTV and it was refurbished but it worked fine until we upgraded to the DVR. They sent another one overnight and did not charge me for it. I am a Protection Plan member of theirs. The only thing I don't like is when you need "in home service" for an RV you must use an independent technical dealer. I have only done that once and he verified my receiver was bad and called DirecTV with me and got a replacement. I'm not impressed with their technical service, but I think it may be a little better than two years ago.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Just call and deactivate the bad receiver and go to Best Buy or somewhere and get a new one. Call DirecTV and activate the new one. NEVER let DirecTV bring or ship you a replacement. It's always refurbished 95% of the time. When you do this Directv will want you to ship the deactivated one back to them though.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Greg, my last one was bought from Best Buy and it lasted all of 4 months. I received a refurb one (see last post) and it lasted over a year. Even buying at Best Buy it is still leased and DirecTV retains ownership. This is OK as long as they continue to send out a replacement for a defective one. No problem for me to return the broke one also. I, long ago, quit expecting this electronic gear to last too long. As long as I can get them replaced I am a happy camper. Sometimes the refurb ones last longer cause they actually QC them, unlike a factory new one. At least that is what I like to think. Thanks for your advice though.....

Phil
Old 05-19-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Phil,
I know where you can borrow a Kindle!! (Hee! Hee!)

Or you could look over Cathy's shoulder.

A little whisper in the ear, and...................Nah!

p.s., Oh! Earlene has an iPad. It streams tv.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote