Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Is it just us.........

..............who do not like the light switch outside the bathroom? Old people get up in the middle of the night. Trying to turn on the light without shining it into your spouse's eyes is not possible. It is a 12 VDC light just 2 wires, an easy fix. I am gonna change that. Do they make a dummy switch to fit into the old slot?

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
No. Not just you. We leave the outside switch on at night and use the switch on the light fixture.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
We use the Night Owl motion activated light in our bathroom and it works great--not too much light but enough to not be in the dark--I mounted mine on the outside wall just above half way up--
$34.98 for a two pack at Camping World and that is cheaper than other internet sites--
gpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
That's what we did on the other unit, but this one has no switch on the fixture. It is one of the round recessed types. It uses a 10 watt halogen bulb.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Stiles,
Im not to familiar with your unit but could you cut the hole out on the BRM side and just reverse your box and switch to fit in there? Then get a color matching blank plate and some colored screws to attach it over the old hole. Or maybe just put a three way switch in on the two sides.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
We do like BB_TX. Works for us and don't have to worry about me leaving the light on.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I just put one of those round battery operated sticky lights on the inside wall. Been working for over a year with no battery replacement and gives off enough light.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We also use the battery stick up we call it "The Pot Spot"
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Our 3400 had one switch by the sink for both the bathroom and the hall. I split them up onto separate switches. The power runs out of the switch, hits the bathroom light first, then the hall.

I removed the bathroom light from that circuit (+) allowing the existing switch to still control the hall. Then I fished a new wire from the bathroom light down the wall by where the existing switch is to serve as the new switched (+) for the bathroom light. All the ground wires (-) were used as is, I didn't have to pull new ones.

Hint: To get wire through the wall into the ceiling, I used the existing wire as a pull tape to pull fish wire up to the ceiling light, tied an additional wire to the existing, then pulled it back down the wall with the fish wire.

I powered the bathroom light from the existing power source, only through a new switch I installed inside the bathroom directly behind the existing switch.

The new switch installed (note the second switch I installed to controll the fantastic fan I put in the bathroom at the same time).

Not sure what switches the Big Sky uses, but I found the factory Montana ones here:
RV Lifestyles
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Stiles, We have a puck light stuck under the shelf. Step in, push light, do your thing. 20 months and no replacement yet. Don't have to fish wires that way. Easy way out I guess.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Brad's method is same one we used on ours. Hall light remains on circuit, routed new feed down wall and also pulled lower panel on ceiling fan to gain access to help fishing wires.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

No. Not just you. We leave the outside switch on at night and use the switch on the light fixture.
Exactly what we do. Pretty simple, huh?

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
That sure did work when I had an inside/outside switch deal. On the 2008 Big Sky, I don't have one. Only one switch and that is on the outside. So if I don't like the way it works, then I have to move it or use an alternate source of lighting as has been suggested. Hardware out of Brad's URL will cost about $10.00 to change the position of the switch. If I actually do it, I will report back.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

We got by with that method on our 2003 for a couple of years, but the kids can't reach the overhead switch. They either were falling on the steps waking us up, or we left the switch on and they blinded us awake. I figured I would do this one so they could reach.

This was also the reason I switched the fan down on the wall as well. (little bit more tricky - you have to intercept the fan switch and switch to ground so the automatic lid will close when you shut it off).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:51 AM   #15
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We are lucky to have a switch on the equipment panel that controls a light in the toilet room and also lights the bedroom steps. There is just enough light to be able to see but doesn't blind you at night. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:05 AM   #16
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
I also didn't like the switch on the outside of the door on our 3500. We used the stick up battery powered light for a couple of years. Last summer, I changed out the light in the potty room from a single to double bulb fixture, added a switch on the inside and wired the outside switch to control 1 bulb of the double bulb fixture, and the inside switch to control the other bulb. Works well for us.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:35 AM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I did the LED Puck Light under the shelf. It points down where the light is needed and does not glare enough to fully wake me. Lasts a long, long time.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #18
royando
Established Member

M.O.C. #9021
We just installed two Night Owl battery operated, motion sensor LED stick on lights. One over the bedroom steps and one in the toilet area. They work great and just enough light.
royando is offline   Reply With Quote