Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2023, 01:17 PM   #1
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Storage, on tires or jacks?

We store our Montana for 6 months (maybe out a week here or there in that time) and them across country and storage for 4 months.
Should I lower the jacks to take weight off, take the tires off the ground completely or just let it sit on the tires? It's asphalt in one and an inch of gravel in the other, no dirt or wet ground.

GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 03:26 PM   #2
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
All our rv's have been stored about 6 months at a time (ND winters take forever). I didn't raise any of them, just let them sit on the tires. I didn't have an issue with flat spots in the spring but I've heard that it can be an issue.

I was storing on concrete inside a building; some heated some not.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:17 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Mine sat every year from late Oct to April with tires on gravel in a storage facility. Covered but open to weather, so blowing rain would get the gravel wet. Never had a tire problem. Tires replaced at 8 years due to age, not wear. And still looked practically new.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:34 PM   #4
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I lower my jacks so the tires just barely make contact with the concrete. Been doing it that way for seven years now with no problems.
Old 02-22-2023, 01:20 PM   #5
BobStack
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25753
I keep jacks down and level to keep things square and the running gear unloaded.
BobStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:20 PM   #6
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
Tire Life

No matter how you park or store your RV 5 years is about all of the safe tire life one can expect. Speaking as a fleet owner and an RV owner 5 years from manufacture date is about all anyone should expect from tires.

Pushing a tire past its expected life is asking for vehicle damage. RV shops are busy and often have a long wait time. Repairs are expensive so saving money on tires by pushing their age is a serious gamble. Do not look at the tread or the sidewall to make your decision, look at the manufacture date and choose wisely.
hosssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 03:32 PM   #7
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
If you use the level up jacks you need to bring them once are so each every 30 days if you just put the landing front down the you can do that every so often.
That is what LCI has stated in the past
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 03:32 PM   #8
hystpr

M.O.C. #26831
Tires

Experience has taught me, 4 years after tire manufacture date is enough! Trying to get more than that out of them may prove to be Pennywise and pound foolish. Blowouts tear things up that are expensive to repair and always occur on a hot day in July.
hystpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 04:04 PM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
My jacks are always down in Auto Level mode. My tires sit on treated lumber. The treated Lumber is on Asphalt. Even with the lumber under the tires and jacks, my asphalt drive way has dimples where the weight of the trailer rests. Now, if the jacks were not down, lending SOME support, the weight on the tires would no doubt be a lot more, resulting in an even deeper dimple where the tires sit.

Another reason for jacks down, is for more stability. I live in a very windy location, in the country with open fields all around. It's very common to get high winds. The more points of contact on the ground, the more stable the trailer is in high winds.

Now, about the only time my jacks are retracted is when we are actually traveling, or in the winter when there is an ice storm going on. Why the ice storm? If the jacks are extended and ice forms on the jacks, they will not operate correctly. They will stroke out because they can't move (mine are electric and this has actually happened to me). So, when I know ice is coming, I'll retract all the jacks and lower the front of the trailer as low as it will go, so thos jacks are all retracted too. Now, when the ice comes, there is no ice on shaft. And in the event we have to BUG OUT in a fast hurry, I know the jacks will sitll operate, even in the coldest and iciest of conditions, so we can hitch and GET! Yes, my camper is always 100% ready to bug out at any moment. Food and clothing may be left behind, but the camper is ready... always!
DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 06:57 PM   #10
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by hystpr View Post
Experience has taught me, 4 years after tire manufacture date is enough! Trying to get more than that out of them may prove to be Pennywise and pound foolish. Blowouts tear things up that are expensive to repair and always occur on a hot day in July.
So you change your car tires at home after 4 years? And they sit unused for several months a year also... I disagree. I think the manufacturers have a 7 year limit or so, and I usually just get new ones when worn out pretty much. Actually this comes out to be around 5 years most of the time. Oh well.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 06:59 PM   #11
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I store mine leveled using the jacks but wheels on the ground.
Old 02-23-2023, 06:59 AM   #12
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
When I do I replace tires? Our first pop-up ... when I realized one was bulging and about to blow. First TT: never did. Original tires (2 years ownership). Second trailer: After 5 years original tires, only because the side walls were cracking (dry rot). Third trailer: after 2 years, original tires .. dry rot. Current Montana 5er: 6 months after purchase. Why? Blow out. Changed all the tires to Hercules. 2 years later ... skidded on and tore the side wall. Replaced it only with another Hercules. About 2 months ago, replaced another one with a Hurcles. Why? Discovered I had a bent axle and the tread on one tire was horribly uneven. Replaced it only.

So, when do I change tires? When they don't look good any more. There is no pattern. If they don't dry rot on you, they will wear out on you, or you'll skid one up. Just keep a good budget tucked aside (always) so if something happens, you can easily fork over the money for all new rubber .... at any time. All you have to do is drive over a nail and you may end up having to replace all 4 tires! THAT can happen any time.
DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 09:28 AM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We bought our first Montana in 2004. We have lived in different situations - storage, seasonal site, and now stored at home. The last 10 years our Montana (when we’re not traveling) sits leveled next to the house at 7500 feet. We get below zero, high wind (80+ mph) and lots of sun and haven’t had any issues. If we’re getting a big snow, we put the slides in, otherwise we have the slides out. Even with IS, I doubt our tires will last five years because of mileage.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 09:16 AM   #14
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
We store ours on the tires, but I’m a fanatic about changing them every five years.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 08:47 PM   #15
jimandjuliet
Established Member

M.O.C. #15943
jacks up or down

mine is stored inside jacks up except for land legs.i extend them for checking brakes and lubing suspension every trip. I have visions of a hose leaking under pressure for an extended time
jimandjuliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 07:14 AM   #16
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
I store mine auto leveled. At my storage space, the ground is level enough that the tires are on the ground. I look at it as if I go there to do something in the trailer, I can put slides out without worrying about things being out of level. I didn’t really think about it that much until November when we got that record 77” of snowfall in 24 hours. I was worried the walls wouldn’t hold up all that weight on the roof, which they did just fine, but I was glad all that extra weight was not on the springs and axles.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote