Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2005, 03:07 PM   #1
Montana_1892
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1892
What we would like to see in a full time 5er

hi all;
we purchased a 3670RL in '02 with the idea of going full time when i become old enough to retire ...
i have been thinking lately of getting a new 5er just before we go full time that would have some options that Keystone does not offer yet.
1. would be to take the new bedroom design, keep the wider slide out and put in a King size bed, with a small nite stand, with drawer on either side of the bed, like the Alpha See Ya has. (Thought about a See Ya till i really looked close at the workmanship and cheap trim)
2. with full timers in mind, would be to see an optional 12 cu ft refrigerator from Norcold model N1200LR(xxxxx). That would add about $1800.00 to the price, but i'd sure spend that for that much room in the refrig.
So lets make a list of changes we'd up grade for ...

Montana_1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:37 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Larger toilet area.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:47 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
12 to 15 gallon hot water heater. Since we are going to be full time in the 5er want a little more hot water to play with. 10 gallons is not enough for my wife to bathe and wash hair at same time. No she does not like navy 3 minute showers.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:51 PM   #4
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Light switch in the bathroom, I had to buy a few of those round lights that you stick on the wall that are battery operated so that I could see. We have a nite lite at the sink but you still have to switch the light on from the outside wall which turns all the lights on in the bedroom.........Bad Idea.....
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 12:34 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Kathi: Leave the switch on all the time and just turn the light on when you get in the bathroom with the switch on the light. Leave the switch in the off position on the other lights unless you need it. By the way, we also have a touch light in the bathroom when reading isn't required.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 04:07 PM   #6
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
Got a few "wishes"...

Love that new bedroom slide, and the extra (walking and storage) space in the bedroom.

Love the washer/dryer closet next to the door: it's finally, finally a place to hang damp coats and put wet shoes!! (We fulltimers don't always get to choose a place with perfect weather!)

But...

1. Please give us an entrance area that we can mop!! Do you have any idea how many of us have a dog, and what happens when they hop up on carpet while it's pouring outside???

2. A place to be "apart". Don't get me wrong, I love my husband dearly, but when you live in a small space like this, we both need our privacy at times. The RL with the French Doors is gorgeous and we'd jump on it, but it has no desk (??), a tiny kitchen, and an even tinier wardrobe, as it still has the old bedroom slide. This is the perfect beginning of a "fulltimers" concept, but it got "stuck" somewhere along the way.

KK

Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:10 AM   #7
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
A maid and cabana boy! (Oh, yeah, an on-board RV repairman, too!)
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:14 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
LOL...Good one Pete.

As a rather large fulltimer I too would like a bit larger water closet.
A little more room around the bed would also be a plus for making the bed but leave out the night stands.
Don't need a washer/dryer but would use the space for storage.
Current frig is plenty big enuff but a bit larger freezer would be a plus.
Have no pets so the carpeting is fine.
We stay in the warmer climates so the place to be apart for me is usually outside under the awning.
Would upgrade from a 6 gallon to 10 gallon HW heater. Wife has shorter hair so 10 gallons is plenty.
Offer the Montana with bunk beds for the older overnight guests who don't do well on a VERY UNCOMFORTABLE sofa bed and would care for a bit more privacy.
Mor-ride hitch would be a definate plus.
Digital thermostat such as the Hunter many of us have already installed but NO REMOTE control. I ain't too lazy to get up and change the settings.
Quieter fans in the water closet and above the stove.
Better sensors in all tanks.

I could go on but what is Montana paying those designers for.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 01:25 AM   #9
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I think if they paid for a "female" designer some of the changes we have made wouldn't have been necessary. Like the bedroom headboard, curtains, extra storage spaces etc. etc.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 03:07 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We just decided NOT to Fulltime when Helen retires in 06.It was a close call and it could still happen..we will test the waters..Camping over this weekend we met two full timeing families, One from Texas that had been fulltimimg for 5 years and the other from Washington State. They were traveling together and work amping.Naturally Helen and I picked their brains about full timing. The guys were 100% enthused about full timing however when Helen asked the ladies if they missed not having a home base they were both very supportive of full timimng and loved it and one said said your home was the camp ground you were at and the other lady said yes..campground after campground after campground after campground.,. Helen wondered about that..they pulled in @ 4 in the afternoon and were gone by 8Am the next morning..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 04:06 AM   #11
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Gotta admit, Rich, after waiting a year to get immersed into fulltiming, we finally got the "home is where you park it" experience last month in Austin (our first trip away from our home park with all of our stuff in the 5er-- photos of the trip on the website). It was everything we had hoped. We were both on vacation AND did all of the same things that we'd normally do (Saturday morning grocery shopping, Friday evening laundry, etc.). Talk about stress free travel and vacation!! When I lived in San Francisco in the mid 90's (as a single guy), I seriously considered fulltiming (Heck, our Mounty is the same size as my SF apartment!). Had I known then what I know now........

Maybe I was wrong in my post above.....I can't think of anything that would make this a better fulltiming experience! (You wouldn't believe how little we miss the stickhouse)
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:01 AM   #12
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Better quality carpet.

Better quality mini blinds.

An option to leave out the sofa, table/chairs, recliners with a little off the price.

A better quality audio/video system.

Larger diameter water lines.

More awning windows

A unit without leaks.

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote