Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2020, 08:36 AM   #1
Shawn123

M.O.C. #25847
220v dryer

Can I put a 220v dryer in my Montana
Looks like there may be extra spots to put a 2 pole breaker, and would have to change outlet, and pull new wire. Has anyone done, or no any information, I could use. Thanks Shawn

Shawn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
220 vac is available to the distribution panel. But depending on the type panel you have you may or may not be able to simply install a two pole breaker. Some, like mine, have the main breaker at the left end of the panel with all sub breakers to the right. In this case, the breakers alternate being connected to hot 1 and hot 2 just like a house panel. So you can install a linked two pole breaker and get 220 volts to run a 220 volt appliance.

But on some panels the main breaker is in the center location with sub breakers on each side. On one side the breakers connect to hot 1 and the other side the breakers connect to hot 2. On that type panel you cannot simply add a linked two pole breaker as both poles would be connected to either hot 1 or to hot 2 and the result would be zero volts. And trying to install a single pole breaker on each side and then trying to use them to get 220 volts would be a major safety issue. So to operate a 220 volt appliance would require some special installation to install a separate sub panel to install a linked two pole breaker.

And of course, either way you could not use that appliance unless you were in a 50 amp hookup site.

Having said that, some few have done it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:25 AM   #3
Shawn123

M.O.C. #25847
I have 50 amp
My main is on the left.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Can it be done? Yes Has it been done? Yes again. But it isn't too common. There is a member Ozz, who hasn't been active in years, who first pioneered a 220V dryer. He was a prolific modification fan with lots of great upgrades. You can try Searching (use the Search box near the top of the screen as the other Search pull down tab doesn't like short search terms like "ozz, 220" etc) and search for ozz 220 dryer (and other variations).

Here is one that may get you started.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=23649

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:55 AM   #5
Shawn123

M.O.C. #25847
Thank you
Old 02-23-2020, 11:26 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn123 View Post
I have 50 amp
My main is on the left.
You can confirm the hots alternate by putting a volt meter on two side by side breakers and see if you have 240 volts. And no reason to think you would not since the main is on the left. If so, then the proper outlet and proper wiring and you are good to go.

Even though we have a 50 amp trailer, we sometimes stay at 30 amp only parks. So a 240 volt dryer would not work for us.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote