Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2024, 07:48 AM   #1
Vic B
Established Member

M.O.C. #20850
Dometic Fridge

My limit switch in a 1350 Dometic will not turn on the fans that control the heat but when they are disconnected and connected to a 15 amp fuse they work
I have replaced the the switch so that is not the problem.
The fridge will be at 35 and suddenly climbs up as high as 48 for no apparent reason but when the fans are operating the temperature is fine.

Vic B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 08:23 AM   #2
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
I would be checking to verify you have 12 vdc coming off that relay I’ve indicated with a red arrow.

12 Vdc is fed directly from the control panel incoming 12 vdc source over to that relay..

Ground to all fans is common..

If you don’t have 12 vdc off that relay to the fan thermostat the fans will not run
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1074.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	16743  
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 09:44 AM   #3
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
The "limit switch" is actually a thermostat and is known to be rated too high before closing and allowing the fans to kick on. Allowing the 1350 to get way too warm. I bypassed the one on ours and added a thermal snap switch rated at a much lower temp to close and turn on the fans.

I did this several years ago. (Also added extra fans) I cant remember the temp ratings but as an example if the existing switch is rated to close at 125 degrees get one that is rated for 105 or so. You can get them in many different ratings. They will have the rated temp at which they close to turn on and the temp where they open to turn off fans.

The key is getting those fans moving air through the upper fins and out the exhaust vent before the fridge gets too warm. Adding extra puck style 12 Volt fans on the same circuit helps tremendously. I added fans at bottom pushing air up and at the exhaust vent pulling air through the fins and pushing out the vent cover. Ours has been trouble free since and stays at a constant 33 to 35 degrees even on 95 degree days. I don't have it set to the coldest setting either.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 12:03 PM   #4
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Ive not had any cooling issues with my 1350RM fridge. It is stock.. 11th year of use.. mounted in a slide out.

Video from my YouTube channel... https://youtu.be/P-caUemL-Ig?si=2E9gDiI-lL40yYTM

While he may have an issue with the thermostat that controls the fans if the relay sends no power to the thermostat the fans wont run either
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:26 AM   #5
Vic B
Established Member

M.O.C. #20850
I have all of the fans running as I bypassed the limiter in the upper section outside. The fridge worked perfectly at 36 for two days and then suddenly during the night it has gone up to 50 This is my second dometic fridge and both have acted in the same manner. Thanks for your replies but i am beyond knowing what else to do except get rid of the unit.
Vic B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 09:37 AM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We have a Norcold fridge. I discovered the cooling fans in the back were not working. Figured out the thermostat disk on the first cooling fin was not working.
I bought a Digital temperature controller and bypassed the thermostat. Fans work fine now and fridge runs much cooler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge digital temperature controller 1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	16751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge Digital Thermostat wiring.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	16752  
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:52 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Not sure about the Dometic fridges, but with the Norcold models, they go into a defrost cycle on a regular cycle, and when in that mode, the temp will rise. I would think the Dometic fridges also have a mode like this too. Another thing we installed years ago in the ARP device, now called Fridge Defend with the Fan Control that protects the cooling unit and with the fans adds extra air flow. https://www.arprv.com/
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM   #8
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Not sure about the Dometic fridges, but with the Norcold models, they go into a defrost cycle on a regular cycle, and when in that mode, the temp will rise. I would think the Dometic fridges also have a mode like this too. Another thing we installed years ago in the ARP device, now called Fridge Defend with the Fan Control that protects the cooling unit and with the fans adds extra air flow. https://www.arprv.com/

The 1350 goes into defrost mode after 60 hours of operation the first time it is powered up for the season. After this initial defrost it then goes into defrost every 48 hours there after. Its important to turn it on so the defrost cycle happens at night when its cooler outside. This gives it time to cycle through (about 2 hrs) then cool the fridge back down before the heat of the day.

Adding extra fans as I described above or the kit rorhmann has linked will do the trick unless your cooling unit has simply failed.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote