Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2022, 10:00 AM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Mystery? What's your thoughts?

First, I never hook water up to the water hydrant and leave the water on, even if we are on a site that has full hook-up. I always fill my fresh water tank and use my on board water pump. I've been doing it this way for 20 years, and not changing. Beside, we camp at to many places that do not have water on site.

With that said, I use a 35 gallon water tank and a water transfer pump to pump water into the trailer fresh water tank. Also, I use a Barker Blue Tote to haul away waste as we camp a lot on sites that do not have a sewer connection on site. But, if we are on a full hook up site, I will connect to the sewer. (no need for the tote then).

OK, that's the background.

Now the mystery.

Every since I've owned this Montana, when first filling the fresh water tank, the water pump makes excessive noise. It really hammers. After a while, it gets quiet again and we can barely hear it. It really is very quiet.

Now, not moving the camper at all, still on the same site, I need to fill the tank again. Either with available water on site, or using my 35 gallon transfer tank, it doesn't matter .... after filling the fresh water tank on the camper, the water pump hammers again. It will eventually quiet down until it's really quiet again. Fill up, and it's noisy for a while. Run a few gallons over the next day, quiet again. Trailer never moves.

Anyone have any clue why it get's so noisy after filling?

I don't mind the noise, never did, but I do enjoy the pump a lot more when it's in "quiet mode" and not "noisy mode."

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:17 AM   #2
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Could it be air in the system?
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:57 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Not sure how it could be air. I fill the fresh water tank before it's completely empty (35 gallons or less). So, no opportunity for the water pump to suck air from there.

When using my garden hose, I always fill the hose with water first. Even at the water fill station, I'll use the same hose from the hydrent to the tank. When the tank is full, I disconnect both ends of the hose and hook them together to keep the water in the hose. Then use the same hose to transfer from the tank to the trailer, with water still in the hose. I do this deliberately so I'm not loosing a half gallon of water just to fill the hose, and to keep air out of the hose and infused into the system. Besides, when pumping the water into the fresh water tank, any air would go into the trailer water tank and bubble to the top and out the tank vent. I don't see how air could be getting in the water lines.

I'm not sure what's going on at the water heater though. It's said there is an air pocket on the top of the water heater tank?

FYI, the pump does not run unless the ice maker is filling or we are running water from the toilet or faucets. I don't think there are any leaks anywhere in the line, otherwise, we'd hear the water pump run after loosing about 2 ounces of water. We do not have an Actuator tank in the system either, and no filtration system.

Still, anything is possible? I'm wide open to anything, or even the impossible?
Old 03-17-2022, 12:54 PM   #4
jdarwin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21728
DutchmanSport, could it be the pump is not screwed in tight enough? As the pump runs the vibration causes it to settle? I know my old pump was loud in one part of the rig and almost completely quite in another part. Just guessing.
Member #21728
2019 3931FB
2017 F350 6.7 Powerstroke SRW
B&W Companion Slider 20K
jdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 01:23 PM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Ours does the exact same thing. I have installed ALL the "water pump noise" fixes and when the pump is running (after I get the air out of the system) you can barely hear it.
Now after we move (road traveling) you can hear it hammer (known as water hammer).
The best way I have found to fix it is to run the shower cold water tap full blast until the air is out (stops sputtering). Takes about 30 seconds. I run it into the toilet bowl so it's not wasted.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 02:26 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It’s a caveating. It’s picked up some air. When it gets rid of the air it quiltings down.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 03:09 PM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
As mlh said, it’s cavitation. It gets air when you are switching between fill and flow. Now, if you can figure out how to eliminate it, there are a lot of us that want to know.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 04:07 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It’s nothing to worry about, forget it.
Air is much lighter than water therefore much easier to pump. When your pump tries to pump air you get a little hammering noise.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 05:28 AM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Thank-you all. I did not know this about air and cavitation. Had to look up that word "cavitation", never heard it before until now.

So, it sounds like (maybe), the water pump impeller is somehow causing air bubbles in the water line, thus the hammering. Once the bubbles work out, the hammering goes away.

That makes absolute logical sense and I can buy that. But there is still the problem, how does the air get there to begin with. As ramis14 pointed out, when switching from flow to fill could introduce the air. This does makes sense too.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, this is a pretty good logical explanation of what is happening, and I find it interesting that I'm not the only one who experiences this. So, this must be pretty normal.

As I said earlier, the noise doesn't bother us, we've accepted it as part of the camper's little quirks. But after 3 years of ownership, I figured it was about time to figure out why it does this.

Thanks again everyone. You've been most helpful once again!
Old 03-18-2022, 07:12 AM   #10
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
These pumps do not use impellers. They are diaphragm pumps so no impellers.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 08:42 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
These pumps do not use impellers. They are diaphragm pumps so no impellers.

Right. They use pistons rather than impellers.

If you wanted to get industrious you could replace the old pump with a jet pump.

https://rvnerds.com/2018/02/11/tired...ump-heres-fix/
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:56 AM   #12
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Right. They use pistons rather than impellers.

If you wanted to get industrious you could replace the old pump with a jet pump.

https://rvnerds.com/2018/02/11/tired...ump-heres-fix/
Actually, the operation of these pumps more closely is like your heart, chambers squeezing and valves to keep the fluid moving in one direction. There aren’t any pistons either.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 10:18 AM   #13
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Not pistons as in an internal combustion engine. But pistons (or plungers) actuated by solenoids to move the diaphragms back and forth.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 03:28 PM   #14
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
I bet it’s air you get in it when you feel the tank. The loud noise is the pump filling the line and pushing the air out
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 01:49 PM   #15
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
You're correct, its a mystery, to me, too. If its very bothersome, perhaps you can install a water hammer device.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 04:23 PM   #16
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
First, I never hook water up to the water hydrant and leave the water on, even if we are on a site that has full hook-up. I always fill my fresh water tank and use my on board water pump. I've been doing it this way for 20 years, and not changing. Beside, we camp at to many places that do not have water on site.

With that said, I use a 35 gallon water tank and a water transfer pump to pump water into the trailer fresh water tank. Also, I use a Barker Blue Tote to haul away waste as we camp a lot on sites that do not have a sewer connection on site. But, if we are on a full hook up site, I will connect to the sewer. (no need for the tote then).

OK, that's the background.

Now the mystery.

Every since I've owned this Montana, when first filling the fresh water tank, the water pump makes excessive noise. It really hammers. After a while, it gets quiet again and we can barely hear it. It really is very quiet.

Now, not moving the camper at all, still on the same site, I need to fill the tank again. Either with available water on site, or using my 35 gallon transfer tank, it doesn't matter .... after filling the fresh water tank on the camper, the water pump hammers again. It will eventually quiet down until it's really quiet again. Fill up, and it's noisy for a while. Run a few gallons over the next day, quiet again. Trailer never moves.

Anyone have any clue why it get's so noisy after filling?

I don't mind the noise, never did, but I do enjoy the pump a lot more when it's in "quiet mode" and not "noisy mode."
Probably some air in the system, install a water hammer or make your own.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:52 AM   #17
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
I keep a small amount of water in my freshwater tank to flush the toilet when traveling. Other than that, I use park water.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:22 AM   #18
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
As you fill your fresh water tank are you releasing pressure with the value located toward the end of your unit on the drivers side? Might just be building up to much pressure with might cause your problem. Just a thought!

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
2019 F-350 Diesel 4X4, Short Bed, BW 18K slider,
closely followed by a 2020 Montana 3121RL
Gubs is offline   Reply With Quote