Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2020, 06:24 AM   #21
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post

The other thing we do is in the refrigerator. When we first got the camper, I purchased 3 adjustable shower curtain rods and use them across each shelf in the refrigerator to keep things from falling and jumping out when opening the doors. I got shorter ones and got them in white so they would match the interior of the refrigerator. They are just tension rods: From WalMart here.

The tension rods is a good idea. Our 5er is in the shop at the moment, so I can't take a pic, but we went to Walmart and got some small rectangular totes with short sides, about 12" x 15" x 2" or so. Then we put everything in those, and it keeps everything from moving around in the fridge, AND if something were to still spill or come open, it would be totally contained in the container...

Old 08-09-2020, 02:20 PM   #22
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Ours is a 3000RK with the rear kitchen and don't have a problem with dishes coming out of cabinets. Use velcro strips on handles and the rods in the refrigerator. No glass containers, dishes or drinking glasses. Plastic works great. Been across the US twice with nothing coming open or breaking.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:40 PM   #23
Docweems
Established Member

M.O.C. #12222
We have been full-timing for 10 years. We use "ties" to tie the door handles closed while traveling. That has worked well for us and we have not had an issue with the cabinet doors coming open and the contents spilling out. Stuff does move around in the cabinets but as long as you are careful when opening them it has been fine. We do use some care with glasses and plates using some paper or cloths to separate some items but for the most part have not had any breakage issues. We don't travel with grandma's good china either, though!
Docweems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:43 PM   #24
Tmc

M.O.C. #24235
I use my towels, clothing to fill the gaps and protect all the mirrors and glass in the cabinet doors. I have recently purchased some tension rods that I'm going to use.
Tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:55 PM   #25
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Alaskans View Post
Thanks for the advise.

We don't use any "breakable" dish-ware, I was more concerned with the weight in the cabinets. I think that it makes sense to have the heavier stuff (canned goods, etc..) unloaded and put low, but the lighter stuff can stay.

I planned to use straps for the cabinet doors, tv's, and fridge, and I appreciate the advise shared there.

I have heard of cabinets falling off while traveling when loaded since rolling down the road is a rather large earthquake lasting several hours.

I guess I will put this concern behind me.

Thanks again.
I think part of the issue with heavy items in a cabinet is the amount of movement they are allowed inside the cabinets. If they can move around a lot, the potential for an item to become a projectile is greater. So, if you stuff lightweight items like a pillow into a cupboard full of canned goods, chances are there won't be any missiles in the cabinet to push doors open. For dinnerware, my wife found some wire racks that keep plates almost vertical, and like others, we line the cabinets with waffle non-skid, which really helps.
Lastly, I mounted wine glass racks in a kitchen cabinet, and we slide old (clean) socks or sewn sleeves over the wine glasses before we leave. Small bungees stop the stems from moving to the open end of the stemware racks.
So many seasoned RVrs have their favorite methods of stowing gear, and I presume virtually all find a way to safely leave everything stowed in their normal place, not moved to tubs/totes. Ask your new neighbors how they do it - it's a great ice breaker; just maintain your social distance !
Leftie Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:28 PM   #26
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
I suspect that there is a difference in the quantity of items in cabinets for full-timers vs. those of us who only go out for 2-3 months a year, taking trips ranging from 10,000-16,000 miles with the average stop being 3 days. We never empty our cabinets. Only once has a heavy item shifted and opened the cabinet door. Even so, when we are setting up, before the slides are opened, we check every cabinet door to be sure it is not open. Velcro straps or some other positive closure is a good idea.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #27
saber707
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17531
We always travel with cabinets loaded.
saber707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:16 PM   #28
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
We load them up. No issues ever.
2017 Montana 3731FL
davemitchell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:02 PM   #29
lj_cox
Established Member

M.O.C. #19296
Full-timer since 2010 here. Everything stays in the cabinets; we have real (if sturdy) ceramic dishes, mugs, some glass glasses, Tervis tumblers. We use non-skid shelf liner on all shelves, and I put strips of shelf liner between stacked dishes. The fridge stuff is all in deep bins after a few things leapt for freedom after a drive. The high shelf in the pantry (added aftermarket) that holds the cereal has a bungee I put in place on drive days to keep stuff up there. Sometimes things fall over but almost never do things break.
lj_cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:30 AM   #30
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Our first year in our first 5er we had a crock pot stowed in the cabinet over the sofa near the rear. It launched and broke the cover that was glass, lesson learned. Always stow heavy stuff low. We also got child latches for the cabinet doors that work great, but most use Velcro. Have learned many tricks since. Have a section of a pool noodle cut to length to wedge in the microwave to keep the turntable fixed. Small tension rods in the open spice rack buy the sink. Of course non-slip sheets in all the cabinets. Coffee maker goes in it's box wrapped in a dish towel then on the floor under the dinette. We try to keep the pantry as full as possible and there is a lip in the front of shelves so that stuff never seems to move around. I think I'll get some tension rods for the fridge as I'm usually catching a falling soda can when I first open it up. I've learned to be ready for it. The w/d space is in the kitchen area so we have tons of storage in there and we keep all the heavy stuff in the lower section. Top shelf is just Tupperware of which DW has a grand collection.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:26 AM   #31
RVNS4US

M.O.C. #14119

Ball Bungees work great around the cabinet handles. We also added a magnetic latch to our pantry door after having olive oil fall out two different times .... what a mess.

https://www.wired.com/2009/05/ball-b...ever-heard-of/
RVNS4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:06 PM   #32
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Like the rest we leave everything in place and use securing devices on doors in the fridge and some cabinets. Never had a problem other than across I20 in Shreveport then hit Jackson MS in the same day causing a couple of drawers to open up.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repairs, storage, towing