Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2020, 07:50 PM   #61
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
You are very fortunate that this failure didn't cause any personal harm. I can see how such a failure would cause an interest in something different. I haven't heard that the IS is unbreakable. If that was an advertised fearure of this type of suspension it would be a compelling reason to switch over. All suspensions require adequate preventive maintenance. Some more than others perhaps. If IS requires less then that would be a plus.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:54 PM   #62
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200617_085903.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	6977

One more pic I found
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:58 PM   #63
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Just a few pics of the IS install.
Bejee, did they swap your Kodiak disc brakes onto the IS? How much that save you?

Also, is that a 7k IS? Have you weighed the unit after install?
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #64
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
The only maintenance on the IS is the greasing of 4 grease fittings every so often. Maybe once a year or so. Keep an eye on the rubber shear springs for wear. That's about it.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:46 PM   #65
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
You are very fortunate that this failure didn't cause any personal harm. I can see how such a failure would cause an interest in something different. I haven't heard that the IS is unbreakable. If that was an advertised fearure of this type of suspension it would be a compelling reason to switch over. All suspensions require adequate preventive maintenance. Some more than others perhaps. If IS requires less then that would be a plus.
It's no secret that most mid-grade fifth wheels come with sub-par suspensions to handle their weight. I suspect there is a manufacturing balance act to provide a spacious (luxury) RV, but keep weight limits under 26k (TV + RV). Otherwise special licensing can become another hurdle for purchasers and possibly limit sales.

That being said, the point is that all suspensions are subject to malfunctions. "Getaway couple" posted a video about their issues with their independent suspension install and failure. Par for the course. I have experienced suspension failure 2x. The second time I was traversing the Yukon territory, with the nearest place to gets parts from a lumber trucking company over 300 miles away! YES, I drove that 300 miles with, not 1, but 2 broken springs! If I had IS and a problem, there would have been no one that would be trained or experienced in working on that available anywhere. It's hard enough to get quality mechanics to fix common mechanical issues correctly.

I, too, can claim that I upgraded my suspension in 2017 and have not had a failure yet (3 years later). Noticeable difference in handling, and haven't spilt a cup of water off the countertop yet! (Although if I did, I wouldn't have said to myself, "See dummy!? Should'a spent that extra $4000.00 and you wouldn't be wiping this up off the floor!")

I suspect it was my choice to upgrade from a 7k leaf spring suspension to a 8k horse and buggy suspension with correct track alignment and anti sway bars that has kept me failure free. (FYI, IS has been around for a hundred years).

Had I simply just repaired my horse and buggy suspension (replaced with same parts), rather than fix the problem (overweight) I could be writing about my 4th or 5th failure or I might have chosen to get an 8k IS and would be professing about how it has saved my bacon ever since (and lightened my wallet).

My choice wasn't about affordability. It was about value. If you get similar results for half the price....well you have to be able to justify it. I couldn't, which I thought the OP might want to know.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:51 PM   #66
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
The only maintenance on the IS is the greasing of 4 grease fittings every so often. Maybe once a year or so. Keep an eye on the rubber shear springs for wear. That's about it.
Parts wear out on all suspensions. Bolts break, shocks need replaced, shear springs shear, alignment wedges fallout, hubs overheat, oil bath hubs need oil, brakes need replaced, tires explode. Same issues in all suspensions.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:17 PM   #67
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
McRod, we have the correctrac LRE 4100. I have no way of knowing how it rides compared other systems assumed better or worse than this one. If ride is judged upon how the contents of the trailer stay put, I guess it's doing fine. One thing I like as you mentioned is that it is common enough that repair parts are nearly everywhere, including mobile repair trucks. In addition to the bolts and bushings I can change anywhere. The rubber section, as with the IS suspension, if failed would be a problem. Again, regular inspections will prevent problems.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:04 PM   #68
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
McRod, we have the correctrac LRE 4100. I have no way of knowing how it rides compared other systems assumed better or worse than this one. If ride is judged upon how the contents of the trailer stay put, I guess it's doing fine...
I made my wife ride in the 5vr for about 30 miles to check ride quality. We were on two way radios. Other than some squeaky steps (I installed), she said the ride was great - felt like a bus and was relatively squeak free.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:15 AM   #69
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I agree that parts to fix the horse and buggy suspension are easily obtained on the road. Not so much for the IS. However, Mor Ryde is a great company and would overnight anything you need to repair there product no matter where you are at.

I used to carry an extra spring/u-bolts/shackle/wet bolt when I had the old system.
Maybe I should carry a few replacement shear springs now? Since that's about the only thing that could be an issue.

As far as all suspensions braking or needing maintenance, when is the last time you had to repair/replace any of your tow rigs rear suspension. I bet never.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:42 AM   #70
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
My question is how much longer are you going to keep this trailer? I have a 03 and I know it's old but it's still going strong. I could upgrade to IS but I want to move up to a newer RV so spending that kind of money on my rig makes no sense. i would also like Disk Brakes but then again if I did this would it increase the value of my rig? Would it make it easier to sell? If I had a newer trailer say a 15 or newer than I would upgrade. Another question is do you travel or just camp on the weekends? Some of this depends on how you use your rig. It would be nice if they made air bags for our trailers. I would jump on something like that. Take some of the bounce out of the rig.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #71
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
My question is how much longer are you going to keep this trailer? I have a 03 and I know it's old but it's still going strong. I could upgrade to IS but I want to move up to a newer RV so spending that kind of money on my rig makes no sense. i would also like Disk Brakes but then again if I did this would it increase the value of my rig? Would it make it easier to sell? If I had a newer trailer say a 15 or newer than I would upgrade. Another question is do you travel or just camp on the weekends? Some of this depends on how you use your rig. It would be nice if they made air bags for our trailers. I would jump on something like that. Take some of the bounce out of the rig.
I think if I ever got another trailer after spending all this money on it my wife would kill me. We are nearing retirement so this will more than likely be the last one. Since the previous owner and myself have stored it inside since day one it still looks brand new.

We probably spend 50 60 nights a year in it travel maybe two to four thousand miles or so. We're both still working so we can't go too far
Old 08-09-2020, 11:13 AM   #72
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
With the cost of I.S. and disc brakes i decided to do these improvements when my rv was 2 years old. I wanted to be able to get several years of use with the most expensive improvement i would ever have on my rv. If i bought a new one today then i would have it done immediately but it depends on one's financial ability as much as how old there rv is . As for as resale goes it may not bring me any more money but if i were to have 2 choices and both were exactly the same model and condition then i would certainly buy the one with the most improvements.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:52 AM   #73
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
How can adding an 8k suspension improve ride? Would that not be like adding a 3500 suspension onto a 2500 truck? If you added a 10k suspension to a trailer does that make it even better than an 8k? Strength and smoothness are generally inverse given the same design.
It not as simple as adding 8k vs staying with 7k. For non FTers weight is rarely an issue. But for FTers, a loaded out trailer with 7k axles could be over the 7k axle rating by being 3900 on one side but only 3100 on the other. In that scenario, going to 8k axles makes a difference. At 3900lbs in the example the tire position is likely to be overloaded as well. The axle bearings on that side will experience much higher wear. Get the 8K axles in that case. Not everybody will need 8k, it depends.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:26 AM   #74
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Individual axle certifications with a higher load capacity than the OE axles do not change the trailer’s GVWR or GAWRs. Only the trailer manufacturer or a certified vehicle modifier has the authority to do that.

There’s only one way to say it when you exceed vehicle certified GVWR…YOU’RE OVERWEIGHT!
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:44 AM   #75
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
Bejee, did they swap your Kodiak disc brakes onto the IS? How much that save you?

Also, is that a 7k IS? Have you weighed the unit after install?
Yes 7k IS
Yes, transferred rotors only
Had to buy 4 new loaded calipers (old seals all cracked up)
New pin box shear spring and white pucks
New Timkin bearings and races.

Total cost $5365

I think if you have the 7k IS and disc brakes installed at once its around $7500
Old 08-10-2020, 09:21 AM   #76
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You may not have to go to Indiana to get the IS installed call Mor Ryde and ask them
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:25 AM   #77
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
As far as I know there is only two places in the country to get it installed one is at Mor ryde in Elkhart Indiana and the other is somewhere in Oregon
Old 08-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #78
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
There’s only one way to say it when you exceed vehicle certified GVWR…YOU’RE OVERWEIGHT!
That's true. The upgrade is to prevent breakdowns, not too concerned about the logic of GVWR.

You can request from the manufacturer a revised GVWR plate. Some will provide it and some won't.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:01 PM   #79
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did have a suspension failure on our 06 3400 while on the road and it was not pretty. We did go to the IS system and never had another issue. We did install the IS system on this 13 3402 within 6 months of purchase and before we went on a road trip.

We have been long timers from day one and do many road miles a year although we are after 14 years slowing down. The IS makes for a smoother ride and IMO prolongs tire life.

If we were weekend campers I do not think we would have invested the money in the IS system we looked at the investment as a safety issue same as quality tires G6-14s and the trailersaver BD 3 hitch
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote