Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2005, 02:35 AM   #1
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
42 years ago today

How many of you remember what you were doing 42 years ago today when the awful news came out that John F Kennedy way shot? I was ironing and watching a quiz show on tv when I heard about it. Seems like yesterday.

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:44 AM   #2
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I was in Oak Creek Wisconsin, driving back to work after lunch at home. It seemed like time just stopped for a moment. What a shock!
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:04 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I was on a Naval Destroyer that had just ported to make political visit to Ethiopia. Was quite shocking news!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:48 AM   #4
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
I was in my last year of high school. We had to cancel a lot of activities like our senior class play.

Nancy
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:02 AM   #5
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I was sitting in a defesive position off the end of the runway at Vung Tau, RVN when the news came. They kept us in the holes for 24 hours in case on another attack.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:42 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I was in a department store with two of my girls (2 & 4). I went to the TV section and stood there watching stunned.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:06 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is called a "significant emotional event" You will remember where you were and what you were doing on that day for the rest of your life.Ex..what where you doing November 22, 1962 or November 22 1975. I was at work at Cleveland Air route Traffic control center when the "red phone " rang.The last time it rang was during the Cuban Missile Crises, we went to DEFCON 3, then DEFCON 2.Scared the heck out of us as we thought "nuclear war" Then got a GI message over the teletype (general information) that the President had been shot in Dallas, Tex. It was a very bad day...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:21 AM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I was pregnant with Baby #1 in Omaha, Nebraska and heard the news when I arrived at a luncheon. I can also remember where I was when Bobby was shot....Myrtle Beach, S.C., feeding Baby #3 in his old fashioned carseat that we had hung on the door of our Dodge car. The news came over the car radio.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:52 AM   #9
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
I was 5 months out of high school, working in a grocery store which broadcast the local radio station on the store speakers. When the news bulletin broke people stopped in their tracks and broke down in tears.

Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:11 AM   #10
rogersuemegan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3579
Send a message via AIM to rogersuemegan
I was a senior in high school, and you could have heard a pin drop all afternoon that day. Our teachers went home if they lived in town and brought there own TV's back to school. We all sat stunned and crying until it was time to go home. But on a better note, it was also the same night that I had a blind date with my hubby. We have been married 41 years so I guess that is a good memory to go along with the sad one.
rogersuemegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:18 AM   #11
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
I was in the 7th grade at Ephrata Middle School (Ephrata, Wa). Alot of the kids were allowed to go home. Alot of emotion. A very upsetting day....Les
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:12 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
In the US Army ststioned at Fort Dix, New Jersey. In the motor pool, standing just outside of the dispatch shack when the MO (motor officer) informed us that JFK was shot.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:25 AM   #13
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
I was in the third grade in a school in Saskatchewan. All classes shut down. They brought tv's in and we watched the news stories for a while and then were sent home. I will always remember the somber tone. Kids were crying, teachers were crying. It was the most traumatic event in my life to that point. Even though we were in Canada, we all felt a great loss.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:56 AM   #14
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Glen was at Andrews AFB, waiting for a flight home to Omaha, when they shut down the base. He watched as Air Force One landed and they took the casket off the plane. He also saw Jackie ride by in a car in her blood stained suit. It was a sad day.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:57 AM   #15
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
I was sitting in Mr. Allen's 9th grade algebra class, but we didn't get to go home. Four years later, I was in the hospital giving birth to our only daughter.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:16 PM   #16
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
I was in third grade at Tanner Elementary school in Paris, IL. Our teacher Mr. Greenwood was also the principal. The school secretary called him outside and stayed with us until he came back from talking to the superintendant. We were all allowed to go home. I remember being glued to the television for the next two days.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:44 PM   #17
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Rich: You are right when you call it a significant emotional event. It brings to mind the planes crashing into the World Trade Center. At first I thought it was a small private plane but then when I found out it was a highjacked airliner, my first thought was oh my,, there are some dark days ahead for this country. That was another "ignifant emotional event."
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:55 PM   #18
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
I was a senior in high school, marching in the ROTC sponsor corps, and it was the only time I ever saw the ROTC director cry when he delivered the news to us.

My sister-in-law was celebrating her 22nd birthday on 11/22!
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:39 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Virgil

Rich: You are right when you call it a significant emotional event. It brings to mind the planes crashing into the World Trade Center. At first I thought it was a small private plane but then when I found out it was a highjacked airliner, my first thought was oh my,, there are some dark days ahead for this country. That was another "ignifant emotional event."
Folks will also remember exactly what they were doing and were they were on 9/11 it is etched into our collective memory/ December 7th 1941 was another "event"

Having retired from the FAA I knew instantly that a airliner does not crash into the WTC. Then Helen who was on duty at the Cleveland Air route control Center called my cell and described how they were watching helplessly as the aircraft that crashed in Pa flew directly over the center, turned over Lorain, Ohio, passed back over the center enroute to that field in PA.There was a second call from my Sister Linda In Washington DC about 2 miles from the pentagon who watched a aircraft fly over her apt building then heard a boom and saw the smoke and asked me what the H... was going on. Helen stayed while the FAA cleared the skys..simple command proceed with all haste to the nearest airport and land..now..figuring that any thing left up there was not friendly. That was a dark day...and..how soon we forget....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:05 PM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Our daughter who lives in Las Vegas, was married on 9/8 in Vegas. We went thru Minneapolis to Traverse City. Landed in TC at midnight 9/10, 9 hrs before the attacks. As we went thru the metal detectors in MSP, a passenger set off the metal detector. He stopped, looked at the single security officer manning the device. The officer just smiled and said, "Aw, just go ahead." This unnerved Cheryl, and I thought, "Wow, this is really getting lax!" Like Rich says... hope this behavior doesn't cycle back around as this event dims into the past.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote