Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2024, 02:34 PM   #1
UpNorthMN

M.O.C. #33333
Dead electrical circuit

Hello all,
Trying to troubleshoot one circuit in my 2017 3160RL. It seems to not have a hidden GFI as none of the receptacles have the sticker as protected. Tested the panel and have both legs of 120 from the ped 240 and all breakers have 120 at the lug. This dead circuit includes the fridge, behind TV, next to couch (only 1 of 2?) and the theater seating/dining table side. I'm at a loss other than to start taking apart receptacles and hoping to find a loose wire. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. An electrical diagram is difficult to find on-line.
Thank you!!!!

UpNorthMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 03:20 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I suspect you have two issues. The 120V power to the passenger side slide (TV, Refer, microwave, external entertainment center and likely the passenger side outlet on the back wall) comes up through the rear of the slide. Ensure the transition from Romex to flex cable is intact. There should be a connection box on the frame and then again in the inside of the slide. At least that is how the Old Worlds Craftsmen ran mine.

The wiring for the drivers side side follows a similar pattern. It transitions from Romex to flexible cable at the back of the slide. The leg should power the recliners, the outlet on the driver's side rear wall and any 120V overhead light. If the rear outlet works I would check the power to the recliners first.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 03:42 PM   #3
UpNorthMN

M.O.C. #33333
Thank you for the reply. I'll need to remove the wheel well panel to find the junction box. Funny thing is all receptacles in both slides except for the one passenger rear are dead. Why would just one work? All lights work as does the micro as it has its own circuit. It looks like the driver slide power is fed from the passenger slide so that junction could very well be my problem. I'll update once I get it opened up. 450 miles tomorrow so it'll be a couple days. Thank you!!
UpNorthMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 05:42 PM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
It is most likely your circuit breaker panel is not labeled correctly.
I know mine isn't.
That having been said, the best way to trace the break is with a wire tracer (dog & bone) like the IT guys use.

Klein Tools VDV500-705 Tone Generator and Probe Kit, Wire Tracer and Tester with Probe Includes Alligator Clips and RJ11 / RJ12 / RJ45 Plug https://a.co/d/8Zasa8G

If you are not familiar with them, check out YouTube or hire an RV Tech. Tell the tech what's going on to be sure he has one to trace where the break is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuit Breaker panel labels.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	16255  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote