Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2020, 12:10 PM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
SoftStartRV

Just read an article about the SoftStartRV. Writer claimed if you have a 50 amp RV with 2 AC's that if you install the SoftStartRV on each of the AC units that you can run them both on 30 amp supply. Of course he also made points about the SoftStartRV "saving" your AC units if you are at a CG with low voltage. Has anyone installed these units? Pros and cons? TIA.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:23 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Very good system. Montana is starting to add it to some of their new rigs as part of the super solar package. You will find several posts here on soft start plus some good youtube videos.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:00 PM   #3
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
They work as advertised. Can run both AC's from my batteries.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:54 PM   #4
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjjj View Post
Just read an article about the SoftStartRV. Writer claimed if you have a 50 amp RV with 2 AC's that if you install the SoftStartRV on each of the AC units that you can run them both on 30 amp supply. Of course he also made points about the SoftStartRV "saving" your AC units if you are at a CG with low voltage. Has anyone installed these units? Pros and cons? TIA.
They reduce the compressors starting surge. I have an easy start on both my dometic AC units (13.5k & 15k). A 30 amp generator can not run both AC units simultaneously in extreme temperatures. The 13.5k unit pulls 16-18 amps when running with the easy start. The 15k unit pulls 15 amps. You can do the math.

I am referring to Easy Start, not SoftStart, which is the new kid on the block and competitor to Easy Start. They are publishing a lot of articles/reviews to build their web presence.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I am referring to generator power, not on grid power pedestal. A 30 amp generator must be rated at 3600 running watts or more and operated at less than 1000' elevation to be a true 30 amp generator. Just because it has a 30 amp plug doesn't mean it's putting out 30 amps at full load.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:54 AM   #5
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
McRod: I have seen an article that claims that as long as you are careful with other current draws that SoftStart allows you to run both AC's at one time with only 30 amp supply. Not true? In 14 years of ownership we have never camped anywhere, even overnight, that did not have 50 amp service. The only appeal to me is there is a really nice, older park not far from our stick house that used to have 50 amp service but has downgraded the sites we like to 30 amp. Since we are in South Texas we can get some really hot days even during our "winter".
Old 08-06-2020, 09:00 AM   #6
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Forgot to add: SoftStartRV's website explicitly claims that with their product installed on both RV AC units they can both be run on 30 amp supply.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #7
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
This is my experience using Micro Air Easy Starts. I don't suspect the Soft Start RV is any different.

I have been in Tucson AZ all year at a completely off grid location. Daily temps since May have been between 100°F - 113°F (38°C-45°C) at my location (I have a weather station on site). My RV is in direct AZ sunlight....no shade 100% of the day.

Without getting too geeky, I would say under extreme temperatures they can not handle the amperage pull, aka RLA, but if you are in a mid 80s to mid 90s temp range your results may vary.

AC has been at the forefront of priorities this year. It's been an educating process. I use a balance of Solar system and generator power. I have also been testing various alternative AC units in combination with the two power generation methods. I have also been testing, at the same time, three different generator setups ranging in power from 30 amps to 50 amps.

What I have learned is that the factory AC units are horribly inefficient. Most of us focus on how we can utilize them in an efficient manner, but it's near impossible in extreme temperatures like AZ without throwing a lot of money $$$$ at the issue. The AC units are not required to meet SEER ratings like residential units. Even if they did meet a SEER rating say of 10, you will lose 30%-40% of that in the ducting/delivery of the air, as our RV units typically have a 5" attic space and the ducting is 1/8" styrofoam. Attic temps can be as high as 120° F (49°C)

Alternatively, I have tested two other style of AC units. I have a 12,000 BTU portable AC unit and a 6,000 BTU window unit.

The 12,000 BTU portable AC unit runs at 17 amps, but does have a starting surge up to 32 amps ( no easy start on it) So it doesn't work well because it can trip a 30 amp generator's power. The factory 13.5k BTU Dometic AC runs at 16-17 amps and does not have a starting surge with the Micro Air Easy Start, so in this case it's a better solution. My 13.5k unit is not ducted, so it's air output is more efficient than the ducted units (but it's LOUDER). The 15k BTU factory ducted Dometic AC runs at 15 Amps (Yes it uses less amps than the 13.5k BTU). The problem using the 15k unit is the loss of efficiency through the ducting. You can see that 15 amps + 16-17 amps is > 30 amps. Very close, but no cigar.

The 6,000 BTU window unit is actually very good has a SEER rating of 11.2. It uses 7 amps and keeps the main cabin cool in the high 70s on SLA battery/solar power only. It's not as loud as the ductless Dometic factory AC units, but not as quiet as the ducted factory AC. The biggest downside is that you can't keep it installed in the window while your rolling down the road!

The last AC type that I want try is a mini split system, so I am considering purchasing one that uses the ceiling cassettes vs the wall mounted head units ( like this). The obvious downside to them is placing the compressor unit. They are most often set on the ground, but I did watch a factory RV video where they had placed it in the garage area and vented it out the wall.

IMO, ACs innovation is going to be one of the next big changes in the RV world. Manufacturers know how horribly inefficient the current Dometic/Coleman units are, and the solution for decades has been to move your RV to locations with cooler temps or to purchases aftermarket equipment to help temper the inefficiencies. Or invest in HUGE lithium battery banks ($$$$$). The current units coming out with pre installed softstarts are simply a low cost solution to kick the can down the road a few more years.

I think the best value solution is to replace the AC units with more efficient units and rethink their placement.

OP: Best way to verify it they will work prior to purchase is use your EMS, to determine the amp pulls of each AC unit. They can vary by manufacturer. If the two units use less than 15 amps each and the power pedestal is putting out a true 30 amps then your good to go.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:25 PM   #8
ALSAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12193
Okay,here's my 2 cents worth
Install one on each of my ACs Dometic 15k Dometic 13.5 k can run BOTH units together off my paired Honda 2000 generators ,but not much else
Was just in the DC area temps around 94 degrees was on 50 amp service ran both and refer and water heater on electric with no problems

When installing the unit on the front 13.5 unit ran into a question, standing on top of the trailer I brought up there web site and filled out a service ticket .in less then 2 minutes my phone rang and I had my answer
NOW THAT IS GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE
ALSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:49 PM   #9
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
This is my experience using Micro Air Easy Starts. I don't suspect the Soft Start RV is any different.

I have been in Tucson AZ all year at a completely off grid location. Daily temps since May have been between 100°F - 113°F (38°C-45°C) at my location (I have a weather station on site). My RV is in direct AZ sunlight....no shade 100% of the day.

Without getting too geeky, I would say under extreme temperatures they can not handle the amperage pull, aka RLA, but if you are in a mid 80s to mid 90s temp range your results may vary.

AC has been at the forefront of priorities this year. It's been an educating process. I use a balance of Solar system and generator power. I have also been testing various alternative AC units in combination with the two power generation methods. I have also been testing, at the same time, three different generator setups ranging in power from 30 amps to 50 amps.

What I have learned is that the factory AC units are horribly inefficient. Most of us focus on how we can utilize them in an efficient manner, but it's near impossible in extreme temperatures like AZ without throwing a lot of money $$$$ at the issue. The AC units are not required to meet SEER ratings like residential units. Even if they did meet a SEER rating say of 10, you will lose 30%-40% of that in the ducting/delivery of the air, as our RV units typically have a 5" attic space and the ducting is 1/8" styrofoam. Attic temps can be as high as 120° F (49°C)

Alternatively, I have tested two other style of AC units. I have a 12,000 BTU portable AC unit and a 6,000 BTU window unit.

The 12,000 BTU portable AC unit runs at 17 amps, but does have a starting surge up to 32 amps ( no easy start on it) So it doesn't work well because it can trip a 30 amp generator's power. The factory 13.5k BTU Dometic AC runs at 16-17 amps and does not have a starting surge with the Micro Air Easy Start, so in this case it's a better solution. My 13.5k unit is not ducted, so it's air output is more efficient than the ducted units (but it's LOUDER). The 15k BTU factory ducted Dometic AC runs at 15 Amps (Yes it uses less amps than the 13.5k BTU). The problem using the 15k unit is the loss of efficiency through the ducting. You can see that 15 amps + 16-17 amps is > 30 amps. Very close, but no cigar.

The 6,000 BTU window unit is actually very good has a SEER rating of 11.2. It uses 7 amps and keeps the main cabin cool in the high 70s on SLA battery/solar power only. It's not as loud as the ductless Dometic factory AC units, but not as quiet as the ducted factory AC. The biggest downside is that you can't keep it installed in the window while your rolling down the road!

The last AC type that I want try is a mini split system, so I am considering purchasing one that uses the ceiling cassettes vs the wall mounted head units ( like this). The obvious downside to them is placing the compressor unit. They are most often set on the ground, but I did watch a factory RV video where they had placed it in the garage area and vented it out the wall.

IMO, ACs innovation is going to be one of the next big changes in the RV world. Manufacturers know how horribly inefficient the current Dometic/Coleman units are, and the solution for decades has been to move your RV to locations with cooler temps or to purchases aftermarket equipment to help temper the inefficiencies. Or invest in HUGE lithium battery banks ($$$$$). The current units coming out with pre installed softstarts are simply a low cost solution to kick the can down the road a few more years.

I think the best value solution is to replace the AC units with more efficient units and rethink their placement.

OP: Best way to verify it they will work prior to purchase is use your EMS, to determine the amp pulls of each AC unit. They can vary by manufacturer. If the two units use less than 15 amps each and the power pedestal is putting out a true 30 amps then your good to go.
This is helpful, though I only plug in to the 50 amp line. I live in Texas and I have the two Dometic units you have. They struggle in 90-100 degree heat. I have been looking at the stand up portable units, 12k BTU to supplement the cooling, especially the initial cooling. I have a good place to put it and vent it out a side window. My plan was to run a 30 amp rated extension cord to the 120v outlet on the main breaker box in the park. I don’t think my plugs in the RV are strong enough and don't want to put more strain on the 50 amp line. Good thing about being portable is i can take it out during cooler months. What has been your experience with this kind of unit. I believe you said you have tested one? Thanks
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:57 PM   #10
dallasrules
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26856
While camping in Virginia this summer, my ac died. The days were running low 90s. I thought we were going to have to go home.
We went to Walmart and bought an 8000 btu window unit. I also had an 8000 btu portable unit that I plug in to an external outlet and vent out my laundry shoot in the bathroom. We leave the storage compartment door open.
So window unit downstairs, portable upstairs. It worked pretty decent. Temps up near the ceiling downstairs were mid 80s, but at couch level, about 76 to 78. Not super cool, but doable and we stayed 3 more weeks. As it is getting later in the season, I am not in a hurry to replace the rooftop ac. I have a 33' trailer on 30 amps and I think thr 15k btu was maxed out as it was. Now this is a 2004 trailer and ac, so maybe the newer ac would work better.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:23 PM   #11
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
This is helpful, though I only plug in to the 50 amp line. I live in Texas and I have the two Dometic units you have. They struggle in 90-100 degree heat. I have been looking at the stand up portable units, 12k BTU to supplement the cooling, especially the initial cooling. I have a good place to put it and vent it out a side window. My plan was to run a 30 amp rated extension cord to the 120v outlet on the main breaker box in the park. I don’t think my plugs in the RV are strong enough and don't want to put more strain on the 50 amp line. Good thing about being portable is i can take it out during cooler months. What has been your experience with this kind of unit. I believe you said you have tested one? Thanks
NOT ALL Parks can support additional load on the 120v - 20a plug. Newer parks usually.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:23 AM   #12
Clark Anklam
Established Member

M.O.C. #23192
Hoping to full time

Quote:
I've installed a Micro-air easy start on my main ac unit and it works great! Tech walked me through wiring it, and i can now run it on my 20 amp house current while parked at home.
Clark Anklam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:28 AM   #13
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
Quote:
Forgot to add: SoftStartRV's website explicitly claims that with their product installed on both RV AC units they can both be run on 30 amp supply.
This is probably true but what is missing is the statement that nothing else can be running on the 30A supply, eg fridge, microwave, electronics, etc. I have run my 2 ACs on a 30A post without any softstart/easystart by switching all my other electric loads to my solar system and starting the ACs individually. The key is how good is the electric at the post because if the voltage is low due to high loads in the area, the current goes up and then you will trip the 30A

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:09 AM   #14
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
A good friend of ours recently installed the Micro Air Easystart 364 on both his 15k units. He starts and runs both units with a Honda EU3000iS. Of course his water heater and refrig must be on propane. He also said if his batteries are very low and his converter/charger is in boost mode, the Honda will trip out. He lives in SC so he's definitely tested in the heat and humidity.

I think this is amazing as we sometimes struggle to start just one of our units on extremely hot days with the same Genny. (With only converter/charger on.) The Micro Air Easystart is definitely on our list of upgrades.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:26 AM   #15
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post

What I have learned is that the factory AC units are horribly inefficient.

Great details from first hand experience, thanks!

A couple of thoughts:
-the Super Solar flex package does include new more efficient 15k AC units, not merely soft starts. Running draw is 9 amps typical with 11 amps full load. Apparently this was a key design element when the package was put together. Perhaps this is a start of RV AC unit improvements? Hopefully?

-as an alternative, have you considered this - https://www.costco.com/forestair-10%...100655013.html
Note; not something I'm familiar with and I'm not sure if it's efficient enough, but saw it recommended on another forum and wondering if anyone has experience with it here. Seems almost a hybrid between a window unit and mini split?

HtH,

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:40 PM   #16
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
Yes, I have an LG 12,000 BTU portable unit (like this one). I vent it out a slide side window which is like a traditional sliding window. If you have access to 50A service it will keep your main cabin area cool/comfortable in 90°-100° temps. As I noted above, it has a high surge on startup/cycling and did cause my 3000W inverter some issue when using it during extreme temps 105°-113° with no dedicated power source. An added benefit was that I purchased an "IHome" 110v outlet plug and was able to turn this unit on/off remotely with my phone. The unit is heavy (I'd guess 65ish lbs) but on wheels so it's manageable to remove it when not needed. It's quiet enough to carry on a conversation next to it. It has louvered vents that sweep back and forth to help distribute the air more effectively in a larger space. It will cool your main cabin faster than the factory 15k ducted unit. It takes floor space, which I don't like. It should be kept on it's own dedicated circuit which required me to juggle around some things that were plugged into the outlet it could reach.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:03 PM   #17
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
Great details from first hand experience, thanks!

A couple of thoughts:
-the Super Solar flex package does include new more efficient 15k AC units, not merely soft starts. Running draw is 9 amps typical with 11 amps full load. Apparently this was a key design element when the package was put together. Perhaps this is a start of RV AC unit improvements? Hopefully?

-as an alternative, have you considered this - https://www.costco.com/forestair-10%...100655013.html
Note; not something I'm familiar with and I'm not sure if it's efficient enough, but saw it recommended on another forum and wondering if anyone has experience with it here. Seems almost a hybrid between a window unit and mini split?

HtH,

Brad
I had not seen that portable mini split unit. Thanks for sharing.

Some thoughts on it: It's efficiency rating is 7.75. that's pretty low. Most standard window units are between 10-12 SEER. They are exempt from regulated SEER standards. Home AC units are required to have minimum SEER ratings of 13-14 (varies by state codes). For next summer, I will be purchasing a mini split and testing it out. The one I am looking at has a SEER rating of 22 which is common for mini splits.

I could not find information on the unit you posted about power consumption. I did read in the manual that it's operating rage is 44-95°. For my purpose, that would eliminate it from my consideration.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #18
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
I have the softstart installed on my 15K Dometic AC unit. I have not had a chance to check starting amps, but Mike Sokol has done the tests and his results show you can start and run a 15K BTU A/C unit on a 2000 watt geni. I do know it starts easier with my Predator 3500.
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #19
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
No matter what advertisement the manufacturer of any "soft start" A/C product puts forth as far as running two units at once ... you have to bear in mind ... yes these "soft start" products do reduce start up amp draw ... no they do not reduce running amps. So you should understand that you may get an easier A/C start up cycle, but if both A/C's together draw more running amps than the 30 amp park pedestal supplies ... you will trip the breaker within a short period of time.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 04:22 PM   #20
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
No matter what advertisement the manufacturer of any "soft start" A/C product puts forth as far as running two units at once ... you have to bear in mind ... yes these "soft start" products do reduce start up amp draw ... no they do not reduce running amps. So you should understand that you may get an easier A/C start up cycle, but if both A/C's together draw more running amps than the 30 amp park pedestal supplies ... you will trip the breaker within a short period of time.
EXCEPT!!! if you order the new Super Solar Flex package, as I noted above...
Yes, the new units DO reduce running amps, by about 40% (9-11amps instead of 14-18amps). I confirmed this by phone with the designer of the system, Matt Wolkins, who continues to do real world testing of the new system. The most draw he has seen is 11 amps for these new 15k AC units, full load, in high heat and humidity. And, again typical draws are 9 amps.

I have not found that these new high efficiency AC units offered anywhere yet for retail sale. It is also the case that the batteries in the Super Solar Flex package are also not available for retail sale (DragonFly GC3, 255ah with built in heaters for low temperature charging).

So, this new Super Solar Flex package does seem leading edge in that it is an all in one solution from a factory, and contains some products that are leading edge and not offered at retail...

I am graciously offering myself up as a guinea pig (or maybe sacrificial lamb??)... we have ordered our new Montana with this package and will take delivery later this year.

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote