Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2021, 02:45 PM   #21
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
Ah,yes, but can you get a dually long bed into your garage? I can (and do for 7-8 months a year).
I can easily get it in my 40 by 42 pole building but it lives outside anyway. I'm in there doing something all the time so I'd have to continually move it out of the way.

beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:00 PM   #22
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
The tailgate will be up on turns and while hooking up then close! You will need a slide hutch with the short bed! Long bed and you do. It need a slide.
Hopes this helps.I have the f350 long bed
Ed
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #23
Darrel
Established Member

M.O.C. #26815
I have a 2021 Montana 3761FL and a 2018 F350 crew cab shortbox with Pullrite Super Glide hitch and I don’t have any problems. Hope this helps.
Darrel
Darrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:33 PM   #24
Richard Blackwell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19705
Send a message via AIM to Richard Blackwell Send a message via MSN to Richard Blackwell
Something to consider for your "peace-of-mind"...purchase a "flow-through" 5vr tailgate for your TV...put that OEM tailgate into cold storage...you'll never worry about tailgate contact with your 5vr...and you'll never center punch the top of the OEM tailgate 'cause you "forgot" to drop it.
2013 3402RL
Richard Blackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:12 PM   #25
Rjlg
Established Member

M.O.C. #27708
We just bought a new 3121 before we left for Arizona for the winter. Pulling it with our 2012 F350 , 6.7 diesel with our Reese 16k hitch. Just pay attention when backing up and no problems.
Rjlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:56 PM   #26
Bstarr
Established Member

M.O.C. #26958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubs View Post
Just purchased the truck to pull our new Montana 3121RL. We purchased a 2019 F-350 4x4 super duty crew cab diesel short bed. Now worried about if the hitch and the tool box are all going to fit in the truck or not. Also worried about the backing up, hitching up with tailgate down and sharp turns. My hitch is a 16K Husky slider which was taken out of my old truck and being put into my new truck. I think the bed in the new truck is shorter than in the old truck. I know stupid time to worry about all these sort of things, should have done that before buying the truck and the camper. Maybe should have bought a camper with the different front end cap, maybe bought the long bed instead of the short bed. Ya I know, but that is now water under the bridge. I now have to somehow make this situation work. Way to much money already spent to start all over!!! Anyhow, wants, desires and looks before functionality has always been my major downfall!!! Suggestions appreciated, advise ok, telling me just how stupid I was....NOT needed, already figured that out with some assistance from the wife
We have the same 3122RL and have a 2019 F250 and have a Pulllite 2600. I never pull or reverse with the tailgate down. The only time I let it down is for hookup and disconnect. Would not recommend turning or backing with a tool box.
Bstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:01 AM   #27
Krisbc1

M.O.C. #19961
short vs long

in years of my towing fifth wheel trailer, I would never tow with a short bed.
believe it or not the extra length lengthens the wheelbase a bit and it takes a lot of the top out of the ride.
and you don't need to worry about sliding the fifth wheel ever!
Krisbc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:09 AM   #28
jjwhite368
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27830
You should be fine. Just go slow with an outside observer each time you maneuver.
jjwhite368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:46 AM   #29
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisbc1 View Post
in years of my towing fifth wheel trailer, I would never tow with a short bed.
believe it or not the extra length lengthens the wheelbase a bit and it takes a lot of the top out of the ride.
and you don't need to worry about sliding the fifth wheel ever!
I completely agree but we are in the minority. The short bed users have a million reasons for not wanting a long bed.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:57 AM   #30
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I completely agree but we are in the minority. The short bed users have a million reasons for not wanting a long bed.
To me, it's a bit like the debate on sailing forums about what size of sailboat to buy. My experience with sailing is that on the water you want the biggest boat you can, as they are so much more comfortable and safer when wind and waves get up. But, when not actually sailing, you want the smallest boat possible for maneuvering, docking, launching, etc. And, statistically, smaller boats get more use than larger ones.

How does that apply?
For when you are actually hooked up and towing, there is no doubt that a long bed dually has significant advantages.
For every other time you drive when not towing, that same long bed dually has significant disadvantages.

IOW, when loaded, a dually is a better tool for the job, but empty, the SRW short box is the better tool. Most owners drive far more miles empty so not hard to understand the popularity of their choices.

Brad
Old 01-19-2021, 02:42 PM   #31
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
To me, it's a bit like the debate on sailing forums about what size of sailboat to buy. My experience with sailing is that on the water you want the biggest boat you can, as they are so much more comfortable and safer when wind and waves get up. But, when not actually sailing, you want the smallest boat possible for maneuvering, docking, launching, etc. And, statistically, smaller boats get more use than larger ones.

How does that apply?
For when you are actually hooked up and towing, there is no doubt that a long bed dually has significant advantages.
For every other time you drive when not towing, that same long bed dually has significant disadvantages.

IOW, when loaded, a dually is a better tool for the job, but empty, the SRW short box is the better tool. Most owners drive far more miles empty so not hard to understand the popularity of their choices.

Brad
I can't disagree with anything you stated. However in my situation my truck hardly ever moves without the camper hooked to it.
My only question for somebody in the opposite position would be would you rather be safer while towing your rig with a daully, or have easier maneuverability while not Towing with a SWR truck.?
Old 01-19-2021, 03:04 PM   #32
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
I can't disagree with anything you stated. However in my situation my truck hardly ever moves without the camper hooked to it.
My only question for somebody in the opposite position would be would you rather be safer while towing your rig with a daully, or have easier maneuverability while not Towing with a SWR truck.?
I think the challenge is it's not black and white - we are not comparing safe with unsafe. IOW, it is not unsafe to tow with an SRW truck that meets the numbers.
As to your question of "safer"? That is where it's subjective and up to each one to decide. The guys with the MDT's will say they are safer than the dually pickup guys. And, there are a few on this forum who drive HDT's and would say they are really the ones that are "safer" than the other 98% of us here; and they would be correct. So, dually drivers can't lay sole claim to "safer" in this discussion.

I still maintain that the choice is about finding the best tool for the job, but it gets murky when there are multiple jobs to be done and only one truck to do it with!

Brad
Old 01-19-2021, 03:36 PM   #33
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I agree, as long as you are within ALL of your numbers all should be good, legally
Old 01-20-2021, 05:22 AM   #34
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubs View Post
1st of all, tried the glass of wine, it didn't help much so I had another and then another, that worked!!!

Anyhow, my tool box fits inside the bed, nothing above the railings so that sounds like it will not be a problem if the hitch fits without hitting the tool box. Sounds like I just need to be extra careful and deploy the slider prior to backing into tight spots.

Thanks for all the advise and suggestions!!!
Same truck in a 2017 and no problems. I have a B&W Companion slider. About the only time I use the slide is when I hook up to give me more room for the tailgate and access to the front compartment. I don't do 90 degree turns to save the axles but I have done some pretty good u-turns with no issue. The nose on these new 5er's really made a difference.
If the toolbox is below the rails you should be all right. I have an auxiliary fuel tank that fits nicely in front of the hitch. It's 20" wide and I have maybe 2-3 inches to spare. As long as your tool box fits between the hitch base and the front of the box you should be good to go.

Sleep well and enjoy the new combo.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:36 PM   #35
Sokcap48
Established Member

M.O.C. #27141
We have 2018 Ram SB have a bed height box from HD. We had to cut some of the front off the rails in order to get it to fit with the tool box-we have a Pull right slider. It has been great. No problems turning or backing into some pretty tight spots. I have the original tail gate, get square with the 5er put tailgate down hook up close the tail gate and you will be fine- just make sure your gate is down when you unhook :-)
Sokcap48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:53 AM   #36
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
I am far from having a million reasons ,just two, don't need or like a long bed truck . Have had more long bed trucks then short beds . Just will never own another long bed .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:10 PM   #37
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
I can easily get it in my 40 by 42 pole building but it lives outside anyway. I'm in there doing something all the time so I'd have to continually move it out of the way.
For some reason, I can't figure out how to get a 40x42 shed onto my 70x100 lot!!

You are lucky to have that lot to work with - wish I did.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:04 AM   #38
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Get one of the auto sliders and get some sleep..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:17 AM   #39
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our 08 F-350 LB,CC, Dual wheel drive, diesel has never been in a garage.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:00 AM   #40
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Depends on the trailer size..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote