Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2020, 12:23 PM   #1
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Failed hydraulic pump motor

Well, I was doing some repairs to our curb side slide mechanism the other day, had to move the ram in an inch or so, and that’s all I was able to get it to move. After completing those repairs, I proceeded to diagnose the pump problem and using the Lippert diagnostic sheet, determined that the motor had died. Doing research on where to get a new motor, from almost a thousand dollars from Lippert directly, to a little over $700 from Lippert on Amazon, I discovered an electric motor shop that will rebuild it including rewinding, for $325. Talked to a fellow there this morning and he said they are at a two week turn around on the rebuilds. I shipped it off this morning, so glad I found this. The shop is, Eurton Electric, in Whittier, CA. I guess with over 70,000 miles on this trailer, and a lot of ins and outs on the slides and the same ups and downs on the leveling system, this motor held up pretty good.

rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:26 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Bob,

We look forward to your feedback on how the rebuilt motor works. This is good info.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:32 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Mine was covered by my extended warranty when it failed. But I want to hear how this place works out 'cause I know mine won't last forever (and my warranty has expired).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:44 PM   #4
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
I’ve used the, before and the motor looked like new and functioned perfectly

https://eurtonelectric.com/catalog/m...Jr5OEpzKB1hvYI
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:41 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Well, I have received the rebuilt motor, which was shipped on the 17th. I talked to the tech who did the repairs, and besides rewinding the motor, they installed new bearings and brushes.
If anyone needs a motor rebuilt, this might be the place to have it done, unless they already have a shop that can do the work.
Things to know prior to removing the motor: Have on hand two M5 x 0.8 nuts, because once you pull the motor, you will need the nuts to hold it together. You should have a sturdy shipping box with plenty of heavy packing materials, as this motor is pretty heavy and will destroy a light box when shipped.
They even painted the motor when they completed the work and masked off the printed label on the side of the case. Prior to removing the motor, check on top/end of the motor to see which way it is oriented. There will be a '1' and a '2' next to the terminals. On our rig, the '1' was on the front side and the '2' to the rear, and pay attention to where the cables from those terminals are connected on the Trombetta switch. Hopefully the motor will spin in the same directions once I get it installed. There are also marks on the side of the case and the end caps that are aligned, so I guess that is important, too. Prior to finishing the install, I am going to install a new Trombetta switch, which is ordered from Amazon. I figure it's cheap insurance to protect the motor. Cost was as quoted, $325 plus shipping, which for us was $29.23 to our location in Sun City, AZ. A few photos to show the motor.
I just noticed that they used a punch to mark which end of the case is oriented to the two end caps. Notice the double punch marks on the shaft end and the single marks on the other end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4484.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	8063   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4492.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	8064   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4493.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	8065   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4487.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	8066  
Old 12-19-2020, 09:47 PM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Excellent write up!!!
Thanks for sharing. I have save this one for future reference.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:49 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Finally got the rebuilt motor installed and wired exactly as it was originally, BUT, it ran but did nothing. Finally figured out that the motor is spinning backwards, and the corresponding valve isn't being opened for the direction the pump is going. I swapped the control wires going to the Trombetta reversing switch and the system is now working correctly. Also, there is an O-ring at the shaft end of the motor around the part of the end cap that drops into the pump, and it should be reused when installing the motor back in place.

When installing this motor, I found it necessary to tape the two end caps to the body of the motor to keep it together while installing it. In the photo of the reversing switch, the yellow and white wires were originally opposite from where they are now. Having this motor rebuilt instead of buying a new one for over three times the cost of the rebuild was well worth it.

I shipped it to Eurton Electric on the 7th of December and it was rebuilt and shipped back to me on the 17th of December and I received it here in Sun City on the 18th, so depending on shipping speed, this may take up to or even over two weeks to get the rig working again, so rebuilding may not work for everybody.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump motor taped together.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	8102   Click image for larger version

Name:	leads swapped due to reversed rotation.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	8103