Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Question Anyone add coax satellite input to wall

I have a new Dish satellite and receiver. They recommend a 25 foot coax with a max of 50. Since you may have to run the coax to the other side of the coach, that is really only about 10-15 feet to play with. So I purchased a 50 foot coax.
The 50 footer only picks up 1 or sometimes 2 of the satellites in the western group and usually 2 in the eastern group - even tho the western group should be closer to me (Arizona). The 25 footer works great all the time...

Sooooo, I was thinking maybe I could drill a hole in the slide wall by the tv and put a wall jack thru the wall and eliminate the long run thru the coach. I checked the wiring under the slideout and it seems to go from the outside connection either in the floor or ceiling and then thru the tangle of wires bundled under the slide and finally up the wall of the slide to the back of the tv area. So adding this 20-30 foot of coax plus 2 sets (at least) of connectors plus the 50 foot cable is just too long.
Anyone have any ideas?

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #2
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
That is new to me, in our RV we have a 8 foot to the main TV, and 20 to bedroom TV, at home 10 feet to main TV and 90 to bedroom, so I think you have some issues. Try running a short cable from the receiver to the TV laying on the floor, sounds like your in the wall coax is acting up
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:02 PM   #3
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
I have a new Dish satellite and receiver. They recommend a 25 foot coax with a max of 50. Since you may have to run the coax to the other side of the coach, that is really only about 10-15 feet to play with. So I purchased a 50 foot coax.
The 50 footer only picks up 1 or sometimes 2 of the satellites in the western group and usually 2 in the eastern group - even tho the western group should be closer to me (Arizona). The 25 footer works great all the time...

Sooooo, I was thinking maybe I could drill a hole in the slide wall by the tv and put a wall jack thru the wall and eliminate the long run thru the coach. I checked the wiring under the slideout and it seems to go from the outside connection either in the floor or ceiling and then thru the tangle of wires bundled under the slide and finally up the wall of the slide to the back of the tv area. So adding this 20-30 foot of coax plus 2 sets (at least) of connectors plus the 50 foot cable is just too long.
Anyone have any ideas?
The way they run the coax and the quality of coax is a joke in these $100k coaches. I pulled a new quality coax into the entertainment center, and ran it to the convenience center. I have a 25 and 50' for there to the Tailgater. It works great.

Mark
Old 05-02-2017, 10:10 PM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
How did you get the cable into the entertainment center - or maybe yours isn't in a slide like mine?????

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 05-02-2017, 10:33 PM   #5
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
How did you get the cable into the entertainment center - or maybe yours isn't in a slide like mine?????
I cut the existing coax where it exits the slide, on mine it was directly under the ent. center and pulled the new one with the old one right up and out of the existing receptacle. I zip tied to the wire loom back to the frame where I went on to the convenience center
Old 05-03-2017, 04:02 AM   #6
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

We have Dish and the recommendation is between the power inserter and the antenna. They recommend no more than 25 ft. They don’t comment on how long the coax is after the power inserter. I have handled this by using a 100 ft extension cord to put the power inserter within 25 ft of the antenna and then run a 100 ft coax to the trailer in port located in the convenience center. I use the trailer wiring after that. This works well I put the power inserter in a 1 gallon freezer bag and hang it so rain water will not get in.

Then for convenience I replaced the phone jack on the outside of the trailer with a coax unit like the one in the convenience center. This works as well.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:15 AM   #7
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
This is another good reason to use a standard Dish Network 1000.2 dish mounted on a tripod. I have used up to 100' of outside coax from the dish to the Montana's convenience center connection and works just as well as it would with 25' or less.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:17 AM   #8
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I did not use any of the Monty coax cables--my rig is 11 years old! I installed wall mounted receptacles near the bedroom and one on the slide out with the entertainment area. The receptacles are really just a feed thru connection with threaded connections on each end. Use the best coax you can buy. Works for my Dish Pathway X2 that connects to 2 separate receiver boxes/tvs. Make sure to seal the edges of the receptacles on the outside with a good silicone sealant.
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:07 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If you have access behind the TV and to the outside wall of the slide, I would just add a new outside coax connector with a rubber boot to the outside wall near the TV. Then run a new short quad shielded coax inside behind the TV from that connector to your TV. And get a new 50' quad shielded coax cable to connect the antenna to the new coax connector on the slide.

Mine is not in a slide. But the above was a pretty simple solution for mine. Bought a weather resistant coax connector with a rubber boot for travel. Has worked fine with my Tailgater for several years.

https://accessories.lazydays.com/jr-...FRCGaQodlSMJxQ

Other styles are also available.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:23 AM   #10
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Ours has the rear entertainment center, so it was easy to drill a hole through the back cap and into the area where the DVD/sound system and DISH receiver sit. Mounted a weather proof coax connector with a short lead going to the receiver, DICOR caulked around the connector, screwed it onto the cap and vola!
Old 05-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #11
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
I added coax imputs on the bedroom and living room slides......did not use the imputs on the Monty. Have had no problems even in one spot we were in..I ran 325' of cable from my Dish to the 5ver......never an issue.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:51 AM   #12
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I think we may be mixing up oranges and apples here.

The 25 ft coaxial cable requirement is a Winegard requirement and that is between the Winegard power inserter and the G2+ antenna.

Dish Network hasn’t ever given me a maximum length for the coaxial cable and I have used 100 ft from the Winegard G2+ power inserter to the trailer plus the trailer wiring which is about another 100 feet because of the totally unintelligent way Keystone wired the trailer.

This has given us good HD TV.

As far as Direct TV goes we change to Dish when ATT lay off their technical folks and went off shore for support. Direct now doesn’t have any support technicians that have any understanding of the electronics of the satellite TV system. For this reason Direct would not be able to advise you on a maximum length of the cable between the antenna and the receiver.

Phil P
Old 05-05-2017, 10:27 AM   #13
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I should have stated my dish is a Pathways x2 and has no power inserter. I have nothing but the coax from the receiver to the satellite outside. Therefore, the 50 foot length limit.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 05-05-2017, 05:56 PM   #14
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Yes that helps.

We have on a large number of occasions found ourselves in a site that was covered in trees and in one case at the Fort Smith Arkansas dam camp ground we had to put the antenna across the street from the trailer.

The Pathway X2 would not have been of any use to us in those situations.

Phil P
Old 05-24-2017, 09:10 AM   #15
rafael33155
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13290
Send a message via MSN to rafael33155
make sure your coax is rated RG6 don't use RG59 which they use on all rv because it's cheap with RG6 distance don't matter on my house i have 5 tv and almost 500 ft of RG6 and the picture quality on the dish is amazing
rafael33155 is offline   Reply With Quote