Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2022, 08:25 PM   #1
Willam J

M.O.C. #27218
Question Regarding Accident Damage

I'm looking for input on what direction I should go;
I was rear ended with damage to my bike and bike rack. I also have two slight dents on the back of the RV. You can not see them unless the light is just right, and you know where to look. Shop said the rear skin will need to be replaced, looking at couple thousand to repair. There is no way I'm going to have that repair done (I don't like the idea of the back end getting all opened up) on my pretty new 5th wheel. But yet, I want to be compensated for damage done when/if I trade it in, especially if the dealer knocks the offer down because it was involved in an accident. I'm not sure what direction the insurance company will go with this situation. Any ideas?

Willam J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:56 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
You can decide what to do repair-wise, but if your state's insurance includes "Diminished Value" compensation be sure to take advantage of it. What is this you ask?
Diminished Value (DV) is the loss in market value that occurs when a vehicle is wrecked and repaired. A reasonable consumer will not pay the same price for a wrecked, then repaired vehicle, as they will for a vehicle with no accident history.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:38 AM   #3
Willam J

M.O.C. #27218
Thanks so much. That’s exactly what I’m looking for, as I will use that term DV when talking with the insurance company. Thanks again
Willam J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:12 AM   #4
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willam J View Post
I'm looking for input on what direction I should go;
I was rear ended with damage to my bike and bike rack. I also have two slight dents on the back of the RV. You can not see them unless the light is just right, and you know where to look. Shop said the rear skin will need to be replaced, looking at couple thousand to repair. There is no way I'm going to have that repair done (I don't like the idea of the back end getting all opened up) on my pretty new 5th wheel. But yet, I want to be compensated for damage done when/if I trade it in, especially if the dealer knocks the offer down because it was involved in an accident. I'm not sure what direction the insurance company will go with this situation. Any ideas?
If the BODY SHOP does the work, you have a rare opportunity to have it better than new. Be there before they put it back and insulate all the missed areas. Don’t let a dealer do the work
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:53 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Not the Montana, but a number of years ago while towing a small utility trailer with my ATV in it someone ran into the back of that trailer. It wasn’t an overly hard hit but the back of the trailer was pushed in some which in turn pushed the ATV into the front of the trailer. And the trailer tongue was bent and deformed as it pushed into and bent my factory truck hitch. No damage to the truck itself. The trailer was a loss. But the ATV had primarily superficial scratches and some very minor dents in the front brush guard.

I gave the insurance company estimates from body shop for damage to the truck, estimate from motorcycle/ATV shop for ATV damage, and estimate for the value of the trailer. Insurance company paid body shop for the truck repair. They gave me a check for the trailer and ATV estimates. I bought a new trailer, but the ATV still has those scratches.

As for opening up the rear cap, I introduced my rear cap to a steel column on tailswing and did major damage to the cap. Pulled completely loose on one side and fiberglass major tears in two places. Took to an RV repair shop with very good ratings (not a dealer). Choice was wait several months for a new cap, or that shop remove and repair my damaged one. They had the fiberglass repair expertise to do that. 3 weeks after dropping it off I got it back looking new inside and out.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote