Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Workamping
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
A wonderful opportunity

WHOO HOOO!!!!! HOT DOG!!!!! DOING A HAPPY DANCE!!!!!
My wife and I and I drove around Ft. Stanton NM on the 19th while we were staying at Valley of Fires. I am a New Mexico history buff and I love old buildings. Ft. Stanton is such a unique place so, on a whim, I sent an e-mail offering to volunteer for a month (3/25 to 4/25).
Guess what???? I got an e-mail back saying that they had a place for our 5th wheel and would be very happy have me as a volunteer. I am so looking forward to it. We will be there until we need to go north to our volunteer gig at Steamboat Lake State Park starting on 5/19. I told them I had a maintenance background, so I hope that is what I will be doing. Can you imagine working and leaving your personal touch on a place like this?? It will be something special for me, I know.
But, I also know that some of you may be wondering what is wrong with me. Why get so happy and excited just to give away time and work? I guess I am just stupid that way. I don't care if all I do is rake leaves. I will be raking leaves at a special and wonderful place. It will also give me an opportunity to photograph and tell you the history of the fort. So, be prepared for it. The links below give an oveview of the fort.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Stanton

http://fortstanton.org/

halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Congratulations!!! I hope it is everything you hoped for and more!!!
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Congratulations. Members tell others to just ask where you'd like to work. Now we have a success story for others to follow. Have a great time!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:25 AM   #4
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
Hey that sounds great! Nice gig till ya get to Steamboat Lake, and yes Kirk was the admin when we were there and Julie is the park mgr., great people. Mark in charge of maint. damn i miss that.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We spent a full day prowling around the fort several years back- They had docents in place who really put on an interesting presentation- As an artillery veteran, I really enjoyed learning how their era cannon worked- The restoration was an ongoing thing at the time but we will try to revisit to enjoy it again- We certainly hope your expectations are met while there-Please post photos, etc. while you are there- We will certainly enjoy them, too-JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Mynabird...What do you mean "...hope it is everything you hoped for and more". LOL!

halfwright sounds like the type of person that will make it what he hoped for, if it wasn't. We've got to admire this member's love and intensity for what he's about to do. A place like that can't place a value on that dedication and will certainly appreciate the more that this member will provide. I'm looking forward to the pictures and stories. It's the second best thing to being there. Now if I can only work on the first best thing of getting there.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
halfwright, you have a GREAT ATTITUDE! Have fun!
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
congrats on scoring a dream come true position..How great..
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Halfwright I am so excited for you! You will certainly leave your mark on a place with just your positive attitude and your love of history! Congratulations and have fun!

I know what you mean about just being happy to rake leaves. We volunteer regularly at our local zoo. I have done everything from weeding, cleaning bathrooms, picking up trash, etc but we have a great time and know that the people who visit the zoo are enjoying themselves seeing animals they may never see any where else. We are helping do the jobs the keepers don't have time to do. By saving the zoo money they are able to put the money into better exhibits, etc. The look on the children's faces when our tiger Prince licks the window right where they are standing is priceless! Well worth our time!

Report back to us and let us know the wonderful things you get to do!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote