Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
3400RL Weights and shortbed turn radius

We had an opportunity to weigh our 3400RL today with it loaded as we tow it. Despite it being a bit heavier than our 3295RK it felt lighter. Maybe the lighter pinweight and/or the Mor/Ryde makes it feel lighter. Here's the weights of the 3295RK and the 3400RL as we load them. The slight difference some may notice is because when weighing the 3295 the diesel tank was full. When weighing the 3400 we'd used two or three gallons out of a full tank before weighing.

The 3295RK had about 1/3 tank of freshwater. The 3400RL had about 1/2 tank of freshwater. There was about one day of usage in the black tank of the 3400 and the gray tanks were empty. In the 3295 all tanks were empty.

I jackknifed the truck into the trailer the other day and took this picture. I had 3 1/2 inches of clearance between nose and truck when this was taken. Had I used, say, 2 to 2 1/2 of those inches I could have come very close to 90 degrees but there was a pothole the trailer wheel would have backed into and that might have been disastrous so I stopped at this point.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
The new rig looks great there Steve. The new decals really accent a white and gold truck. Look forward to seeing it up close at the Rally. You'll have to change the pic in your signature now.

Ron & Melinda Rosewall
Marcus, Iowa
'06 F350 DRW King Ranch 4x4, diesel pulling machine.
'04 3685FL, Fireplace, Cent Vac, Fantastic Fan, Safety Glass, 2nd A/C, Slide out awnings.

http://www.picturetrail.com/fordzilla

Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Steve--the rig looks great!!! I'm sure you are really going to enjoy it.

And thanks for sharing the weight info. If my math skills haven't abandoned me this late at night, it looks like your total trailer weight is 2,700# above the UVW on the sticker, including about 300# of water/waste. Can you remind us just what options you ordered with your 3400 and what, if any, equipment and hardware of significant weight you have already moved into the 3400 (e.g., washer/dryer, generator, 2d AC, etc.).

Look forward to seeing your new rig at the rally later this month.

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
Sure looks good behind that Ford! You are going to love the way your new house tows!!!

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:04 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Steve, that new trailer looks nice but it looks strange behind your truck. Guess we were too used to seeing you guys in that 3295. Nice upgrade!

Judy
http://spaces.msn.com/bamatravelers/
http://bamatravelers.blogspot.com
Traveling with Glen and Greta in our 2004 Dodge dually and Montana 3380 RL

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:39 AM   #6
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Great looking rig, Steve. Lighter pin weight is a good deal as well.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:53 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Steve..your picture and comments sort of verify what Steve Emmel and I speculated about when we first saw the new front cap. On level ground you could do a 90 and be ok..but on uneven ground IE the pothole, I don't think so. Those with SB trucks will have to keep that in mind..It is however a improvement. Your weights are way over mine on the Total trailer weight and truck and trailer weight but then again we are not full timers.By the rally you can give me some good feedback on how the 3400 pulls loaded . Oh..nice looking camper..how did the PDI go.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:44 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Jo-Anna

Steve--the rig looks great!!! I'm sure you are really going to enjoy it.

And thanks for sharing the weight info. If my math skills haven't abandoned me this late at night, it looks like your total trailer weight is 2,700# above the UVW on the sticker, including about 300# of water/waste. Can you remind us just what options you ordered with your 3400 and what, if any, equipment and hardware of significant weight you have already moved into the 3400 (e.g., washer/dryer, generator, 2d AC, etc.).

Look forward to seeing your new rig at the rally later this month.

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
David, you are right, it's 1920 over the sticker UVW. Besides the water and waste, we added a washer and dryer. The brand is majestic and they're pretty heavy. That's something around 300 lbs if I read the manual correctly. We also got the high gloss. 200 lbs. We have a residential sofabed that's quite a bit heavier than the OEM sofabed. We got rid of the recliners and replaced with a lazyboy. That probably is ligthter than the two recliners. Vicki has 365 dvd's. They're not that heavy but it all adds up. We have a very heavy firebox right over the axles. That's probably 75 lbs (a guess). We have clothes onboard for all four seasons including winter coats. The scissor jacks are in the front locker until I get them installed behind the axles. That will slightly lighten pinweight. BBQ grille (Weber Baby Q) and lots of other gear. We offloaded three of the four dining chairs. We have two residential dining chairs and kept the fourth chair for the desk. It's being used mostly for storage and when we have more visitors than other seats. We have one of those coffee tables with the rising top, from CW. They're a bit heavy. Another side table for my chair. Central vac. Pots and pans and griddles, etc. Probably more than weekender/vacationers would carry but needed for fulltiming. We do not have the 2nd AC.

Richfaa, I agree. Still have to watch those different plane situations but the turn radius will allow me to get into and out of nearly any site without bothering with the slider. Rarely would I need to turn that sharply. At more common angles where I used to have to be careful with potholes it should not be a problem. It's a potential problem only at extreme angels. Major improvement, in other words. The PDI went well. Our dealer does a pretty good one of his own as a matter of normal practice. We found maybe ten small items, all minor. Two of those I've fixed myself (stripped screws in hinges). We get almost no airflow from the furnace vent by the entry door at the end of the peninsula. Mushy shower floor around the shower drain. Things like that.

We've only towed this thing a total of 68 miles. Despite being 260 pounds heavier it feels lighter to me. I think part of that is the lighter pinweight and part may be the mor/ryde. I watched rear suspension action while turning in the potholed parking lot where the CAT scale is located and was impressed with the action. I don't know how to describe it other than it looked like softer action. Like you break a child's fall when you catch them and help them down instead of them crashing to the ground.

Ron, got it changed! Eventually I'll get a better picture. This is the only one I have at the moment.

Judy, it still seems strange to me to look in the mirror and seeing a different nose there. And when in this rv park I identify which is ours by the front of the rig. I have nearly driven past it a couple of times, looking for that rounded nose with blue graphics.

Inside, most boxes are unpacked and put away. It is beginning to feel like home. Like normal. Outside, now I have several things to get done yet. Plus several "projects" both inside and out. I hope to have them all done by rally time.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL

Old 09-05-2006, 04:47 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Steve we also noted little air flow from the vent at that same place but when we took it off and stuck our hand down there was plenty of airflow.Solved that problem with a trip to Home Depot and purchasing the vent with the deflection vanes..not expensive at all, replaced all the vents with that type of vent.The problem is the airflow drives right by with nothing to defelect it up..The adjustable vanes reach down far enough to catch the air it deflect it up. That shower drain will need replacing. We used one out of a high end motor home complete with a real seal..

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:21 AM   #10
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Thanks for the weight information...when I get my 3400 weighed, I'll post the numbers, too.

Bert and Betty
Fort Smith, AR
2007 Silverado Classic 3500, DRW, D/A, CC
2007 Montana 3400RL
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:10 PM   #11
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Steve and Vicki - Congrats on the new unit. Sure is a beautiful setup. Continued happy and safe travels to you.

Ron and Vic
04 Montana 2980RL
04 F350/6.0LPSD/SC/LB/DRW
Racine, Wisconsin
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:24 PM   #12
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Steve-
Good looking rig you have there. Bet you and Vicki are proud to have some more space. Let us know about TV fuel consumption difference after you have pulled through a couple tanks. Be interesting to know if any.

Charlie
2001 F-250 Lariat SC 4x2 LB 7.3L PSD
BD Power ECM 80 HP Performance Chip
BD Power X-Monitor LED Digital Gauges
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
2005 3295RK

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:52 PM   #13
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Great information Steve!!! I have all along been looking for a truck that would handle your old 3300 lbs of pin weight but had ruled out short box dually's because of their reduced payload capacity. We too would like to upgrade to a 3400 in the future and I can clearly see using you as an example that we would not ever exceed approx. 2800 lbs of pin weight.

One other bit of info I would like to take from your turning clearance picture will require a further measurement on your part. As well said on a previous post, it doesn't matter what the lenght of the short box might actually be but rather the distance between the centre of the king pin and cab or glass back window of the truck. With this info I would presume your current hitch is mounted so the king pin rides centered over your rear axle. Is this correct?

Darwin & Maureen DeBackere
Minnedosa, Manitoba, Canada.
Driving 02/Chevy/Crew/3/4Ton/Duramax/Allison
Pulling 03/2955rl
Those REALLY IN CHARGE! Amie & Heidi, The Schnauzers!!!
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:42 PM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Steve and Vicki,
Congratulations on the new rig! I also have the new graphics on an '06, I like them. Amazing how nicely they go with your truck.

A question, is the front cap different on your '06 than on the '07. My understanding of the '06 was that it had an improved turning radius over the '05. Do you know if they further improved the turning radius on the '07?

Thanks,

Robbie

Peace!
Robbie & Alice Simons
Seattle

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 SWB Laramie (LNRNGR)
2006 2980RL (TONTOW)
Line-X bed liner
Jacobs Exhaust Brake
Prodigy Brake Controller
Hijacker 24-UMS-21 Hitch
Start Fulltiming 10/2006

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/htmlSticker2_cond/language/www/US/WA/SEATTLE.gif
[/img]
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:07 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Rich. Good ideas. I see another trip to HD coming up.

Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL

Old 09-06-2006, 03:13 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
DarMar, the hitch pincenter was **supposed** to be installed directly over axle center. But I think it's just a smidgen aft of center since dropping the pin on the hitch lightens the front axle weight by 20 pounds. Aft is not good but this is not enough to make any difference.

Robbie, ours is a 2007. It's the same cap that came out about last February in the late '06 models. The same as yours, in other words.

Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL

Old 09-06-2006, 04:41 PM   #17
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Steve and Vicki, great looking new home! We know you are going to enjoy the new layout and other improvements. Bob and I talk about a new rig from time to time, but we have this one just the way we want it now and it would be hard to part with all of Bob's improvements. Hope we catch up with you sometime and can get a tour.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:17 AM   #18
Montana_6147
Established Member

M.O.C. #6147
SIMONSRF From 2007 Montana brochure, not sure if 2006 said the same.
Montana's newly designed front fiberglass cap improves the overall turning radius by 30%, even while towed by short bed trucks.
Montana_6147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Darwin, I neglected to mention my intended point with the turning picture was to contrast turning radius of the new nose to the old one we traded in. All Montanas have a better turn radius (talking shortbed trucks here) without slider than most other brands because of the rounded nose. The new one is even better. I really doubt I will ever need to use the slider so long as we have this rig. But then we only used the slider twice in 5 1/2 years of Montana ownership and 4 times total in over 11 years of fifthwheeling. Danger remains even with the new nose but the odds of an "accident" are far less with the new nose.

Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL