Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2018, 09:10 AM   #21
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Very easy way to get the exact Truck you want from any of the Big Three, It's called "Order It". Placed my order for our High Country in mid November '17 and was delivered in mid January '18 with the exact options we wanted.
In the last 20 plus years have only bought one Truck off the Lot and it had all the options I was going to order and Dealer made an offer I couldn't refuse.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:31 AM   #22
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
never heard of that NP..
Vehicle Size Restrictions. Vehicles, and vehicle combinations, longer than 21 feet (including bumpers) or wider than 8 feet (including mirrors), are prohibited between Avalanche Campground and the Rising Sun picnic area parking.Oct 31, 2017
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:37 AM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Very easy way to get the exact Truck you want from any of the Big Three, It's called "Order It". Placed my order for our High Country in mid November '17 and was delivered in mid January '18 with the exact options we wanted.
In the last 20 plus years have only bought one Truck off the Lot and it had all the options I was going to order and Dealer made an offer I couldn't refuse.
Order it is the only way to get exactly what you wont in a truck. It generally takes about 6 to 8 weeks.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:10 AM   #24
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
It was extremely difficult finding our Ram.. we wanted the truck that is advertised as a towing capacity of over 30,000 lbs. Dealers DID NOT STOCK THIS TRUCK!. Lots of little kids trucks however. Every Dealer had shortbeds. Lots of them. VERY FEW longbeds, and even fewer duallies. Finding a dually ,aisin, autolevel, 4:10s, took 2 years!... Dave smith in idaho had 400 trucks and not One truck what we were looking for. GM DID NOT have the tow capacity, i have owned 3 powerstrokes, so it was Ram..If you want fuel mileage, you need a smaller trailer. Pulling 13,000 lbs is not conducive to to great mpg.. i think a 3:42 instead of the 4:10 will get lower mpg towing. The engine must work harder to tow the load. Truck is in tow haul in 5th gear, unlike the 4:10s..But for everyday, i think the Gm may have the best mpg. Dad's 06 2wd duramax got 23 on the hiway. My fords and dodges never did that well..
Wow that is odd. I guess it is a regional thing because in our part of the country it is difficult to find the short bed, single rear wheel and you would almost have to order anything that was not 4 wheel drive. The dealer we bought from had I would say about 20 1 tons. All of them where duallys and only 1 was a short bed and none of them were 2 wheel drive. More recently I stopped in to look at the 1/2 tons. There were about 35 or so of those. More short beds but only 2 were 2 wheel drive. That is just the way it is here in North Arkansas. Having read some of the comments on MOC, I actually discussed the market trends in our area just last week with the Ram dealer and a Ford dealer while shopping for our next purchase (a 1/2 ton, 4x4 crew cab). Their comments dove tailed what I saw on the lots, have seen on the road locally and have said on here in the past. About 90% of buyers IN THIS AREA want 4x4. Nearly 100% of the 1 tons purchased are dually long beds IN THIS AREA (emphasis this area so I don't get hammered by other folks). I suppose it really is a regional thing??
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #25
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I found it!.. so, im good.. 1200 miles on it, 16000 off msrp... a killer deal..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:50 AM   #26
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
I have not heard this first hand, but it is my understanding that DRW pickups aren’t allowed on the Road To The Sun in Glacier Natl. Park any longer. These folks have to rent a car for the drive. Seems very inconvenient.
Mark
Not true. We have taken a caravan of duallies both ways on the road. The official specifications are:

Vehicle Size Restrictions

Vehicles, and vehicle combinations, longer than 21 feet (including bumpers) or wider than 8 feet (including mirrors), are prohibited between Avalanche Campground and the Rising Sun picnic area parking. Vehicle and vehicle combinations over 10 feet in height may have difficulty driving west from Logan Pass to the Loop, due to rock overhangs. Stock trucks and trailers are able to access Packers Roost on the west, and Siyeh Bend on the east.

Source: https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/gtsrinfo.htm

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:40 PM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had to order( build your own truck) on both our duallies. Few dealerships will have the kind of trucks we need to properly tow a heavy Montana.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:09 PM   #28
Bevard
Established Member

M.O.C. #21636
W
We ordered our truck 2017, went with ford f350 dually. The diesel is a very quiet ride.
Bevard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:58 PM   #29
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevard View Post
W
We ordered our truck 2017, went with ford f350 dually. The diesel is a very quiet ride.
This is true. Compacted graphite iron is a quieter material to make a block out of than cast iron. It dampens vibrations better than cast iron.
Lynwood
Old 06-01-2018, 02:24 PM   #30
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Wow that is odd. I guess it is a regional thing because in our part of the country it is difficult to find the short bed, single rear wheel and you would almost have to order anything that was not 4 wheel drive. The dealer we bought from had I would say about 20 1 tons. All of them where duallys and only 1 was a short bed and none of them were 2 wheel drive. More recently I stopped in to look at the 1/2 tons. There were about 35 or so of those. More short beds but only 2 were 2 wheel drive. That is just the way it is here in North Arkansas. Having read some of the comments on MOC, I actually discussed the market trends in our area just last week with the Ram dealer and a Ford dealer while shopping for our next purchase (a 1/2 ton, 4x4 crew cab). Their comments dove tailed what I saw on the lots, have seen on the road locally and have said on here in the past. About 90% of buyers IN THIS AREA want 4x4. Nearly 100% of the 1 tons purchased are dually long beds IN THIS AREA (emphasis this area so I don't get hammered by other folks). I suppose it really is a regional thing??
The reason why you can find what you want James is because you are in 'Red Neck Country'. There are more of the 'Big Three' trucks sold in Texas than anywhere else in the country. The dealer i bought from had trucks 3 or 4 to one compared to cars or suv's. If you can't find what you want then the dealer will find another dealer who has what you want and get it for you.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:29 PM   #31
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Could be Regional. We checked northern Nevada, las vegas, oregon, mcpeek in anaheim, fontana, san bernardino, .. DAVE SMITH IDAHO... YOU may have tons of long bed duallies. However, id be surprised if they were laramie or higher, AISIN trans,?4:10 gears, auto level., prep, ... like i said, not one dealer stocked this type of ram..could have, should have ordered one.. But why should i have to order one when the Dealers should Stock them... Baby boomers are retiring in droves and going rving...order the gas jacked up trucks for the kids..not the cummins..
Old 06-01-2018, 08:37 PM   #32
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I will agree that if you have the time to order a truck it is usually the best way to get exactly what you want. I have ordered my last three trucks exactly as I wanted them. At least exactly how I wanted them within the ordering limitations that the factory allowed. On my newest 2018 DRW F350 the only thing I wasn't sure of and still wondering is getting the 4.10 instead of the 3.55 rearend gearing. Order what you want and you don't get to second guess buying off the lot and not getting everything that you wanted. On my truck I even ordered the PTO and snow plow package to get the heavier springs seeing that Ford did not offer the camper package on the 2018 Platinum.

Tom Marty

Tom Marty
Old 06-02-2018, 10:02 AM   #33
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Thing is is why should I have to order a truck that RAM claims to have the most towing? It’s like Pontiac back in the day only selling Firebirds, but they advertise the TRANS AM.. Ram advertises 30,000 lbs of towing, but dealers ONLY carry shortbeds.
It all worked out. Got what I wanted . A very rare Longhorn...
At a much lower price.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #34
Fredtp

M.O.C. #9941
I have a 2014 Ram Dually long bed crew cab and pull a 40 ft Redwood and get 11 miles mpg.
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:38 PM   #35
Rob_Fla

M.O.C. #10162
When we went to local dealers they tired to sell me what they had in the lot and were not interested in what I wanted.
Went to a small town dealer about 30 miles away, sales person said “you are problaly not going to find what you are looking for on the lot., let’s just order exactly what you want”. Eight weeks later we picked up our 2018 RAM 3500HD DRW that was exactly the tow vehicle we were looking for..
Long time GM / Duramax fan, owned several , we love our RAM !!

Click image for larger version

Name:	97533003-0AAE-440D-B405-3961D95B794B.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	1731
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #36
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I just bought a new F150. They come in 3 cabs 3 bed lengths 4 engines 6 models 14 colors and several options and options packages. With all of those configurations there in just no chance of finding exactly what you wont so the only way to get exactly what you are looking for is to order it.
Lynwood
Old 06-03-2018, 01:56 PM   #37
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
without reading all the postings,
where do you travel mostly? flat lands, no mt;s? a lower number rear gear here.
want to climb a hill and not impede traffic a higher number rear gear number.

how heavy is your foot?
same truck, same conditions, three different drivers will get three different mpg ratings. the way you drive has a lot to do with mpg.
i have bested some with there own cars/trucks by as much as 5 mpg. but he was a lousy mpg driver.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:03 PM   #38
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Mark A. We were just doing the Going to the Sun road in our Ram 3500 dually last year around late summer, and we were fine driving on it. A little hairy, when you meet up with another dually going the opposite direction! I get about 17mpg not towing on the highway I have a 2016 Ram 3500 dually with the Aisin tranny and 4.10 rear end. When towing my 41 foot Monty I get about 11mpg unless there is wind, and then it can drop down to 9 mpg.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #39
Dennis and Susan Daley
Established Member

M.O.C. #21116
Vipermanden...
How essential is the tow haul mode?
It seems my 2500 HD ride much better without it
Dennis and Susan Daley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:08 PM   #40
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis and Susan Daley View Post
Vipermanden...
How essential is the tow haul mode?
It seems my 2500 HD ride much better without it
Tow/haul should not affect the "ride". It is a transmission shifting change to the computer. You will notice the truck tends to shift later and run at elevated RPMs but that should not make much if any difference to your "ride".

If your on more or less level interstate you won't need the tow/haul all that much but if your running in the mountains I would for sure have it switched on. But even with it on how you operate your foot on the gas pedal matters more than anything. Getting a little extra speed built up before you hit a steep climb and such can make a big difference in your fuel economy and speed maintained. We see a LOT of drivers that don't know how to drive in the mountains here in North Arkansas (Ozarks).

Hands down however the most valuable feature on our truck is the engine brake!!! Going down a hill that feature is literally a life saver!!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote