Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2009, 04:03 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Flow-Jet Macerator

For those of you that own a Flow-Jet Macerator remember to have a few 20 amp fuses handy. I had just started to dump tanks when the unit stopped working. It took me a few minutes to locate the problem but it ended up being the fuse in the on-off control grip. I have lots of 20 amp fuses, but had a fit finding them. As with everything else in the rig I put stuff away so it is easy to find, then it hides itself where ever it wants. But I finally found them and all went well from then on. I now have all the fuses and rig light bulbs in the same box... Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Good for you, Dave. We have a workshop type drawer cabinet w/labels for the drawers. Fuses and bulbs are in there, too!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:59 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Over the years I have found it necessary to replace an occasional fuse. They are all over the place from the Monty to the TV and many accessories that we accumulate. I now carry every concievable fuse I could possibly need. I have most all amperages in spade fuses and the glass tube type. I also carry a few auto-reset circuit breakers.
In October of 2003 the first fuse I ever needed for the Monty was the 30AMP glass tube that operates the front jacks. Surprisingly I had one. It was at that time I decided I would never be caught with out the right fuse.
And yes, I know exactly where they are stored.

So, if you are ever in the same CG as me and need a fuse remember this post
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:40 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Remember this post? You don't ask much.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I keep a box in the case with the pump. Also keep a box of appropiate sizes inside the breaker cover for the DC distribution panel. comes in handy every now and then.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Thanks for the offer Glenn, but if I'm not in the same CG, I'd offer to pay for shipping of a fuse! LOL!

I know I don't have the complete collection of fuses yet, but I'm working on it. My biggest problem is knowing where they are all used, or what uses a fuse and what does not.

This post turned out different that I expected. I was thinking I was going to learn something more about the macerator, than its fuse.

A macerator is on my wish list. It will enable me to use my Monty parked at my house as overflow lodging for guests if we are not on the road. At this time I can't empty tanks at home conveniently - everything else is covered!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

For those of you that own a Flow-Jet Macerator remember to have a few 20 amp fuses handy. I had just started to dump tanks when the unit stopped working. It took me a few minutes to locate the problem but it ended up being the fuse in the on-off control grip. I have lots of 20 amp fuses, but had a fit finding them. As with everything else in the rig I put stuff away so it is easy to find, then it hides itself where ever it wants. But I finally found them and all went well from then on. I now have all the fuses and rig light bulbs in the same box... Dave
I'm curious about the blown 20-amp fuse in the macerator pump. I've had the same macerator pump in use for over four years and only blew one 20-amp fuse. The reason was readily apparent: someone had dropped one of those "Tucks" hygiene pads into the toilet and the macerator pump doesn't like those kinds of things -- it can't "chew" them up.

I know you don't drop those kinds of things into the toilet but it behooves all of us to remember that if we are using a macerator that we need to make sure that anything that goes into the toilet can be pumped out.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Right you are Orv, however I am still not sure what caused it to blow. I hit the run button and it ran up and then slowed down and off. I Thought it was my Battery Jumper box but that was still fully charged. I had just reached to pull the dump handle when it shut down. I checked the impeller but there was nothing in it and it turned freely(I used a screw driver to check). I have run it dry before and never had it stall like that. Once I replaced the fuse it worked fine.
Art, I bought the macerator at the NE Rally because I was on the last site in the line and John's right was next to last. John had FHU I had electric and water because John's site was last on sewer and 6 feet above mine. At the time I had a Sewer Solution but it was 60 feet away and 6 feet higher so the SS would not handle it. So I bought the macerator and 70 feet of 1 inch hose. It handles it just fine and only took about 8 minutes to dump all three tanks completely even pumping that far and high. I am using it at our stick house now, pumping 60 feet around the house to the septic cleanout. Works great and I don't have to worry about hauling huge amounts of 3 inch stinky slinky. I still have 30 feet of 3 inch but don't need any more than that. This unit comes in a small brief case sized box and stows almost anywhere, the 1 inch hose I roll and stow under my 5th wheel hitch... Dave
Old 08-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #9
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
I have a question for the Flow-Jet users. Does it do a good job of emptying the tanks. I have heard let your tanks fill before emptying. The reasoning I hear is the rush of water keeps the tank cleaner because it sucks out sediment. So if you neck it down to a one inch or less hose its not going to have the same effect as using the 3 inch hose. I have a flusher on the black so I could flush it for an extended period but not on the galley or grey. Just curious, will it pump uphill?
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
The macerator is a pump and grinder, it does not suck it out as fast as the gravity fed 3inch but it still does a good job. Even using the 3 inch you should still use the flush and also do at least 3 "power flushes", by that I mean lifting the foot pedal on the toilet and filling the bowl to the very top, then flush the toilet as usual. The large amount of water blasts into any remaining sludge and moves it toward the dump gate. Even the flush unit doesn't get it all and the "power flush" assists that. I run my flush for about 15 minutes before doing a "power flush", the water is running almost clear before the "power flush", afterward it goes back to brown. I do three power flushes if I have time and then shut the black water gate and open the galley water gate which cleans the hose follow it with the gray water gate. Even with the macerator I use the same process. It has always worked great... Dave
Old 08-28-2009, 07:51 AM   #11
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We are on a farm in Ontario, Canada and I am pumping 150 feet in a 3/4 hose with my Flo-Jet.
It works great, I pump about every 5 days of black tank, with 2 dats of gray tank water.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Remember this post? You don't ask much.
John, I'll remind you of the above comment the next time we camp together and you need a particular fuse and search me out for that replacement.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I carry the Sewer Solution and wouldn't want to be without it. I use it only when I have to. At my daughter's I would have to run my 3" sewer hose about 60 feet across her driveway. This would mean breaking down the hose every time someone drives in or out. With the sewer flush they can drive right over it. There have also been campgrounds where the Sewer Solution was 100% simpler than dealing with the 3" hose.

Sewer Solution, Flow-Jet Macerator or whatever I wouldn't want to be without one or the other.