Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2020, 05:21 PM   #1
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
Send a message via AIM to L0veless
height adjustment on hydraulic slides?

our 2016 kitchen slides both sides seem to have settled a bit, just barely scuffing the floor. yes we vacuum and try to remove as much debris as possible even reaching under the slide lips. can we adjust these edges up a bit? if we can how high can we go? reason for the second question is thinking about replacing the flooring but everything we look at is thicker than the OEM sheet stuff.
really was looking forward to the Rally hoping to get these questions answered.

thank you

Old 07-13-2020, 06:59 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001941.pdf
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:53 AM   #3
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
which rally are you going to? goshen is not this year.

unless you have the skill set to adjust I'd say find a service center out your way to do it.

good luck.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:22 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Adjustment is pretty straightforward if you follow the directions and make small adjustments at a time. I have found it best to mark the existing adjustment points so I can go back to square one if needed. And the first time I did an adjustment, I over adjusted and did have to go back to square one and start over.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Use slide slickers.

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-13499...lide+sl&sr=8-1

Make your own. Home depot, Lowe's, Menards. $2 each.
https://www.menards.com/main/floorin...4445975391.htm
Cut it in half, cut off the curved part. Now you have two 4"x24".
Even if you do not now have issues with this I strongly recommend using these on BOTH slides to prevent it from happening to you. It's just a matter of time. One staple, nail or piece of grit and it will damage your floor.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:02 PM   #6
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
really "was" looking forward to the rally,
we planned our trip around the rally, had to miss last years.
hopefully next year
Old 07-14-2020, 01:09 PM   #7
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
I think the slide slickers idea will work for now. then wait till next year and get a little more comfortable about it. looks pretty straight forward not to difficult, but hey not in a hurry to replace the floor.

thank you for the input everyone
Old 07-29-2020, 01:31 PM   #8
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Been working on our Big slide for over a week... Second set of gear packs... Cut underbelly only to find the hydraulic ram was NOT tightened... Only 2 threads held the Ram, it was finger loose... Bad workmanship...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:50 PM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Since I have seen the aftermath of my following warning ... I'd like to draw focus to something all following this thread should understand. DFB has contributed to 2 separate topics concerning slides and adjustments about what he sees first hand. He's pointed out twice about loose bolts on the cylinder end of his hydraulic rams in the underbelly, not the rod (adjustment) end of the rams. The adjustment end of the rams have large nuts and alot of threads showing in a normal state. DO NOT TIGHTEN THE LARGE NUTS AGAINST BOTH SIDES OF THE BRACKET THE HYDRAULIC RAM ATTACHES TO UNDER THE SLIDE. The cylinders have more travel than the slide itself does, so that's why there is say an inch of threads showing ... to absorb this extra travel and to allow for slide adjustment. Hydraulics are powerful and you will break something expensive should you decide those large nuts are loose. Read the adjustment manual carefully.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:08 PM   #10
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
Interesting article. It's something to keep in mind if floor scuffing is a problem.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:47 PM   #11
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Since I have seen the aftermath of my following warning ... I'd like to draw focus to something all following this thread should understand. DFB has contributed to 2 separate topics concerning slides and adjustments about what he sees first hand. He's pointed out twice about loose bolts on the cylinder end of his hydraulic rams in the underbelly, not the rod (adjustment) end of the rams. The adjustment end of the rams have large nuts and alot of threads showing in a normal state. DO NOT TIGHTEN THE LARGE NUTS AGAINST BOTH SIDES OF THE BRACKET THE HYDRAULIC RAM ATTACHES TO UNDER THE SLIDE. The cylinders have more travel than the slide itself does, so that's why there is say an inch of threads showing ... to absorb this extra travel and to allow for slide adjustment. Hydraulics are powerful and you will break something expensive should you decide those large nuts are loose. Read the adjustment manual carefully.
There is to be 2 to 3 inches between bracket an the ram ... these are the inner lock nuts..

Thanks diesel guy!
Old 07-29-2020, 03:50 PM   #12
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
There is to be 2 to 3 inches between bracket an the ram ... these are the inner lock nuts..

Thanks diesel guy! Btw, on the site or pdf it’s figure 4..