Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2020, 07:21 PM   #1
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Weird A/C issue

Ok so we originally thought maybe we were low on Freon but I really don't think so.

Our A/C will run fine most of the day and all night. BUT it will suddenly start to blow hot air during the very hottest time of day (around 2pm). And I do mean suddenly.

Understanding it has only become an issue since we started going into triple digits daily.....

Rear A/C works fine. Although I should mention the front A/C is a heat pump ducted model while the rear is A/C only and we have a portion of cold air direct dumping over bed.

2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
What have you got the fan set on. On ours, in your situation, I have to run the heatpump unit on high fan during the day and then switch to auto after the sun goes down. It doesn't make a lot of sense unless the compressor is going out due to the sensor thinking it's too hot, but that's what happens. Not a problem here in KS, but we're 3,000 feet lower in altitude and thus further from the sun and while the humidity is way higher the temp is about 10 degrees cooler.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #3
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
What have you got the fan set on. On ours, in your situation, I have to run the heatpump unit on high fan during the day and then switch to auto after the sun goes down. It doesn't make a lot of sense unless the compressor is going out due to the sensor thinking it's too hot, but that's what happens. Not a problem here in KS, but we're 3,000 feet lower in altitude and thus further from the sun and while the humidity is way higher the temp is about 10 degrees cooler.
Hey Dick, hope all is better in KS that it is here. Major heat wave, you left just in time!

110 today 90 in camper with just bedroom and the backup third A/C we have.

The front one is the problem child. We run it on high during the day and shut it off at night since it started acting up. Used to run it on auto at night.

In Bedroom we run High during day and then switch to Auto at night. Unit usually kicks off about 9 or 10 and stays off good portion of night (although even night time temps are getting close to 80 now.

I think we are going to go ahead and bite the bullet and get a new one tomorrow (or at least get it ordered). We can always use the old one in our Enclosed trailer build if we can get it working properly....
Old 07-09-2020, 08:08 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Had thuderstorms arrive at 3:00AM last night with 70mph winds. Thundering lasted until 9AM and it rained the whole time. Every place has it's issues.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:19 PM   #5
Cubbie
Established Member

M.O.C. #20155
Hey there, feel your pain. Our back AC bit the dust here in Phoenix. We were told by service techs that no units were available anywhere in the Country. Dometic plant in Mexico closed due to virus. Sooooo, if you find some please let us know.

Art
Cubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:05 PM   #6
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
A few weeks ago while in central Texas (100+ degrees) my granddaughter reached in to turn on the bedroom light (stupid switch under the a/c stat) and brushed the stat. I swear, I'm going to move both the bedroom and bathroom light switch!! She accidentally set it on heat pump or heat. Took a few hours at midday to discover the a/c was not doing the job. Fun in camperland!
Old 07-20-2020, 07:42 PM   #7
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
A few weeks ago while in central Texas (100+ degrees) my granddaughter reached in to turn on the bedroom light (stupid switch under the a/c stat) and brushed the stat. I swear, I'm going to move both the bedroom and bathroom light switch!! She accidentally set it on heat pump or heat. Took a few hours at midday to discover the a/c was not doing the job. Fun in camperland!
YEP we have had similar happen! Bad news if you leave and don't realize it!!

Also have had the thermostat switch to furnace if the power goes out (which it has done twice in our park during the hottest days).
Old 07-26-2020, 05:22 PM   #8
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24564
I almost never put the fans on auto, almost always use high. Seems like almost every time I use auto, at some point it freezes up, moreso when the humidity is a little high. Low fan doesn't move enough air over the coils and this causes them to freeze up. The AC will not cool if the coils freeze up. After I set up, I open the bedroom dump vent all the way, put a small fan above the steps aimed at the living space, and leave it there until the temperature inside gets comfortable. And ofcourse, the living AC is set to high fan. At night I reduce the bedroom dump vent opening and put fan on low. This works best for me, especially when it's 95 plus outside. You'll be surprised at how much quicker it cools down.
Buckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #9
skippydoo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25725
Agree with Buckfisher---we never ever use Auto option on our AC. We live in the South East. HOT HOT HOT and Humidity is our standard weather report for months and months. If we are chilling at night we grab a blanket.
What can I say

Hope your AC is fixed sooner rather than later.
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote