Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
The Water STINKS!

I'm workamping at a Boy Scout camp in mid-Michigan this summer. The water here smells BAD (especially the hot water) and is turning my clothes tan color. Would a water softener help with these problems? If not, what other solutions have any of you found?

Thanks for helping.

Walt

WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You'll want a very good filtration system first, like a sediment filter to get out all the big stuff, then a particulate filter to take out as much more as possible, THEN the water softener to condition the water.

The "dirtier" the water source, the more often you'll be replacing any of the filters.

If the hot water stinks, that might be caused by "sulfur water" or "stink water", which describes the stinkiness caused by the hot water heating up water that contains too much hydrogen sulfide (often found in well water sources). Do an internet search of this condition and they'll have lots of recommendations on treatment (expect some amount of work). The key is to filter the water ALWAYS, even using the filters when loading up the fresh water tank. An extensive filtration system prevents problems like this even if you know the water source is cleaner than not. I now use my filter system no matter what and no water problems any more. I don't use a water softener either, just keep the filters are fresh and clean as possible.

One preventative for stink water is to drain the Hot Water heater when it's not going to be used and get a cleaning wand to ensure no debris is left behind to remain in the tank. Just remember to fill up the hot water tank PRIOR to turning on the heat (electric or propane, or both) or you'll damage the hot water heater!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Walt sounds like you have some really high iron content in your water up there. Why don't you get ahold of Charlie and Judy Benton. They are from Colon, Michigan and have contact with a water filtering and softening company. Mark will be at the Fall Rally but it sounds like you need help now. Charlie and Judy are Grey Nomads on MOC. I think they will be able to help you!

Walt Charlie sent me Mark's website so you might want to check it out and contact him about your problem. I'm sending it to you via PM...
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I would follow what Rondo has said. You definitely need filters. If the camp is on a well, that tan color could be tiny particles of dirt and sand brought up and passed along by the pump. Smells in water are activated more so by hot water than cold because the water molecules are more active when heated. For that you'll need a charcoal filter of something similar. We use a two filter "home" style filter rig with a sediment filter and a charcoal filter and then the water softener.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Hydrogen sulfide will cause water to smell like rotten eggs. Sometimes the anode in the water heater will react with minerals in the water. A good filtration system and a water softener will help
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Before doing anything else, do you have the washer and dryer prep? If so, have you drained it lately. If not, do so first before trying anything else. This was one of the first MOC ah-hah moments we had. If that isn't it, proceed to the other steps recommended.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:57 AM   #7
DonPd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4328
If you want some more information on what is out there go to this site. If you make a purchase from them they ship quickly. You can also ask questions on the site. I purchased a two filter system from them and it works great. The best part was it was configured for a RV. There was nothing to do but hook it up. I also purchased a short hose from them to run from the site water connection to the filter system. The short hose can withstand high water pressure.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Pr...Regulators.htm
DonPd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:41 PM   #8
Mosnowman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19731
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
Before doing anything else, do you have the washer and dryer prep? If so, have you drained it lately. If not, do so first before trying anything else. This was one of the first MOC ah-hah moments we had. If that isn't it, proceed to the other steps recommended.
I have stinky water as well. My fiver is prepped for washer dryer but currently none installed. How do you drain the washer prep? Does it fill up each time you use water in the rest of the fiver?
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:56 PM   #9
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The staining and smell can also be caused by manganese in the water. According to what I just read, a water softener can remove low concentrations of manganese, but a different filter system is needed to remove higher concentrations, and a professional water company will be your best bet for clearing up your water problem. Until you get this resolved, it would be best to not drink the water, but it is safe to bathe in, and you might even get an early tan from the water
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:57 PM   #10
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosnowman View Post
I have stinky water as well. My fiver is prepped for washer dryer but currently none installed. How do you drain the washer prep? Does it fill up each time you use water in the rest of the fiver?
When ever the water is hooked up you have water in the lines for washer also.
about the only way to get the smell out is to put some bleach in the tank and run it through the water lines and flush out the water sys. what we did since we don't have a washer or dryer is I cut the washer lines off in the basement behind the wall and caped them so water does not go there. I left the lines there so if we ever want one or we trade in I can hook them back up.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:06 PM   #11
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
You should follow the earlier advice pointing you toward the RV Water Filter Store. Regardless of whether you purchase anything from them or not it is a really good resource to educate yourself on how to address your water treatment needs. It does sound as though you may be fighting several issues including iron and possibly heavy metals. One of the nice things about the guy who run the RV Water Filter Store is that you can ask him for assistance directly via e-mail and telephone. He was a nice resource for us in our selection of a whole house water filter system.

2 stage sediment
carbon
metal trap
softener
UV purification for drinking
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:14 PM   #12
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
The OP is from 2013!
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:55 PM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosnowman View Post

If you have the washer prep up in the bedroom area, then flushing the system will likely get rid of the stink you experience when you use the bathroom sink.

Simply attach a hose to each faucet, put the other end in the drain and/or shower, and turn the faucet on while attached to the shore water supply.

If your stinky water is everywhere, then a full bleach treatment program is necessary.

There are numerous posts on both problems which a Search will uncover.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:16 AM   #14
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Old thread but relevant - at least to me.

I too have cut and capped off the water lines to the washer access as we don't have one. I did this because we always have a lingering 'pink stuff' odor and taste even after flushing literally hunderds of gallons through the fresh water system, including all faucets.

- Pink stuff is never put in the HW heater and that winterizing valve is not moved until the rest of the system has been flushed buy lots of water. It is the last item thoroughly flushed

- The fresh tank never has pink stuf added. We seldom use it though it eventually gets sanitized before a long trip
- The water pump and filter (seldom used except while traveling) is flushed.

Any ideas where the pink stuff hides out. Yes, it does go away in a couple weeks - but ......
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:18 AM   #15
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Did you open your low point drains after de-winterizing?

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote