Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
After Market Service Protection

I did something I never have done before. I received one of the warrantee offers in the mail and called the number on it. Although I didn’t really intend on making a purchase I was curious as to why I received an offer like that when my truck has over 300,000 miles on it. Long story short I purchased a 5-year additional 100,000 mile warrantee for my truck with no deductible at a cost to be about the cost of one trip to the dealership. I currently have the Ford in at the dealership right now and this warrantee is going to cost very slightly above and near what this one visit is going to cost.

I called the dealership and asked about it and they indicated the biggest problem they would have is depending on how the payments are made. They said it shouldn’t be a problem if they use a credit card. I found out the Co. uses a corporate credit card to make the payments on warrantee issues. I will receive more details in the mail soon and I have 30 days to back out with full re-fund.

Has anyone used a warrantee like this before and are you happy with it? I would like to hear of any pros or cons and any experiences if anyone has. I’m not asking you to reveal the name of the company you may have used; I intentionally left out the name of the one I made a purchase with.
Thanks!

Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Would need to know the company you are considering to give any positive or negative feedback, I have used such a service before and it worked out well, cost $50.00 for a new transmission. Have also heard that some of those mail offers are nightmares. Try a goggle on the company name and complaints.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
A company name would be nice. My son had a warrantee like that and the company went bankrupt after about 6 months. He lost his money on that deal.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
The company is called Service Protection Direct they are out of St. Louis, MO.
Has anyone had dealings with them?

Happy New Year!

Old 01-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've been following this thread but had decided not to respond. But somehow it rang a bell in my mind so I Goodled "Service Protection Direct. I came up with several websites for this company. The one that caught my mind is here.

Based on just this little bit of offhand research, I would recommend not going with this company. Unless you just have lots of money, which I'm sure if you're like me, you don't

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:49 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I read the complaints and I think that is pretty much the case with any of the telephone sales people. The sales people at the dealerships are not any better, I dread the point where you have to sit in the little office and let the finance guy hammer you trying to sell the warranty, (after I told them in advance I wouldn't be buying one.) They go on and on and on. I get just as rude and have walked out. In 1999 when I bought a new truck, I wouldn't go in the closing office, I signed the papers at my salesman's desk, I pointed my finger at him and told him if they started the high pressure on me the whole deal was off.
I bought an extended warranty on an Excursion we had, I made the call to the warranty people, and had pretty much the same experience Orv's link had, I just waded through it because I knew I wanted one. I got it at a fair price and was glad. It saved me big bucks. Bill, I think it was the one you went with, I will try and find my paperwork.
When the warranty. runs out on my '08, I will buy an after-market extended warranty.
Bill, I found my information, it was the 'Gold' service agreement from warranty warehouse; administered by American Guardian Warranty Services, Inc.
When we traded the Excursion in on a Ford truck, I got the unused part of my policy premium back.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:09 AM   #7
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
How solid are any of our extended warranty companies, never mind those companies that don't appear to have a good reputation? Given the current economic conditions I would imagine that a lot of these plans have been really tough to sell.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:20 AM   #8
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I bought the same plan Ozz had, it cost about as much as we got back out of it (the cost of a transmission) BUT we didn't have to pull it out of our pocket at that time, so all in all it worked out.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:27 AM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

UPDATE!

This Co. told me they would re-fund all of the deposit if I choose to cancel within the first 30 days. I felt this wasn’t for me so I cancelled and I’m happy to report that they refunded all of the deposit as stated.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:23 AM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have a extended warranty on our 2008 Chevy, this is the first extended warranty I have ever purchased. Don't know if its any good but it feel good. But if GM goes under I just wasted about $2,000.

Ozz I agree that let hole you go into and get worked over about the warranty isn't a fun place to be. Until we got the 2008, when I decided to buy I would make the sales person to write on top of the purchase order I don't want any warranty except the GM warranty. It did work, as everyone knows the dealerships make a ton of money off the warranty sale. I have sold Trucks (GM) and I know what happens in those little offices. Yes they got me, oh well it feels good. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:47 AM   #11
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I dont have the info at hand as it pertains to the actual Ford extended service plan (ESP)...I intend to buy one when I get home....I would buy it down here but I have been told that the Canadian dealers wont honour it if I buy here???? it seem to be less expensive here..I have done some research and found that the only one that covers my diesel properly is the more expensive one...I was quoted a price of around $2400. for 2 years and 100,000 miles...would love to hear any comments from anyone that has the FORD plan...I had one of those after market plans on another vehicle years ago and it was a rip of...I dont want to do that again,,
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:43 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am looking at the warranty information on the 08 Ford Diesel.. Bumper to bumper 3 years 36,000 Power train 5 years 60K Diesel engine 5 years 100k miles and there is a list of exactly what part are covered. I am not a mechanic and I have no idea if the parts listed are all of he parts in there. I am inclined to get the Ford ESP plan but first must do the homework to see exactly what the ESP covers. We are told it is a extension of the Ford warranty.. But I have no real idea of what the Ford Warranty coves as I have no idea of all the parts IN the power train or Diesel motor. I will go ver and have a long talk with the local Ford dealer.

On Edit.. I went over and interrogated the Local Ford Dealer . I spoke to the individual who administers all the Warranty work. Short story.. The Ford ESP warranty is a 100% extension of the original Ford Warranty. They treat both exactly the same. You do need to understand what you are buying and shop around for a price as there is a wide range. The price I got off the internet was 1905 for the 6 year premium care package and 2120 for the 84 month premium care package 200.00 deductible. You can find a better price.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #13
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I read that brochure over and the best one is the 84 month deal..It covers allllll the major parts that could go wrong with the deisle motor...
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is the plan I was also looking at. It actually extends the warranty by two years but no additional miles. That would be 14,285 miles per year (100,00 miles) We are well under that figure now as this is not a daily driver and is most only used for towing. I would like to see more miles and will call around and find out. The best price I have found thus far is 2021.00 US for the 84 month plan. Interesting information.. I asked the Ford warranty person how they decided if the motor was to be replaced or repaired.. They said..if the cost is over 10,000 (US) the motor is replaced. If under repaired. So, I asked, If you where to order one of those 6.4L motors what would it cost...6545.00 said he...how about the transmission, said I.. 1490.00 said he... Holy Moly..said I.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
That's the same plan I had on our '95 when we bought it new. There were enough things that happened to our truck before the warranty ran out that it paid for itself.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Also...the bumper to bumper warranty is 3 years 36,000 miles.. The Ford ESP, execpt for a few trim items extends the bumper to bumper warranty. ORV sounds like we are the kind of folks that need the extended warranties. Our Montana extended warranty has paid back 90% of the cost in less than 2 years and as I recall yours has also paid off. These diesel trucks are very complicated machines I get this feeling that the chances of a high dollar repair within 7 years/100,000 miles are high..