Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2006, 09:42 AM   #1
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
What is a fulltimer?

Could someone tell me what Keystone considers what a fulltimer is? Is it three months, six months out of the year? I was a little concerned when I was told by the "dealer" that our warranty and extended warranty would be no good,if we lived in the unit fulltime. Of course this was AFTER the sale of the rig and the warranty!!!(Just this past Nov) I am NOT a "happy camper" right now.
Thanks!

Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:10 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Fulltiming, would be defined in my book as 12 months, 365 days. Any thing less is heavy time, or part time, or something. There have been several discussions about this very subject here on the forum, search at the top of this page and then go back to the front page and search the Archives. Number of fulltimers here will tell you that they have had wonderful service from Keystone, and yes, Keystone KNOWS they are fulltimers!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome Roamingusa to the MOC Family.

We are full timers as our many Montana Owners Club members and Keystone is fully aware of this and they have no problem with it. Sreigle, also a full timer in a Monty, has had his full time rig back to the Montana plant on a number of occasions and never had a problem due to full timing. If you're "dealer" gives you a problem I would suggest contacting Keystone directly.

My definition of a full timer is those that live in their rig full time as in 24/7/365
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Well we have been full timers for almost 3 years and love our montana and it has been up to par although they say it is not suppose to be a full time rig. It all depends on how you take care of it.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:16 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Your dealer may not be well informed. I don't see anything in our warranty saying the warranty is void if fulltiming or living for an extended period in the Montana. Yours may be newer and different so see what it says. Our manual does say the rig is not intended for four season living, or something to that effect. That has nothing to do with the warranty, however. It simply means they don't guarantee it not to freeze up, etc. And it satisfies their liability lawyers.

Our dealer knows we are fulltiming and has never given us a problem. We have been to the Keystone Factory Service Center in Goshen and have discussed our lifestyle with those folks and not once has warranty been mentioned. They fixed the problems without question and even fixed some things we had not asked them to fix.

Quite a number of us are fulltiming in our Montanas.

I don't know how your extended warranty reads. You might want to read it closely, including all the fine print. But I wouldn't worry about Keystone not standing behind the product just because you live in it fulltime.

Good luck. You got a good unit from a company that stands behind their product.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:56 PM   #6
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I agree with Glenn that a ful timer goes 24/7/365. The other question about full time warranty issues--what's the difference between 11 months and 24/7? I think Steve is right you need to read your warranty very closely and you can't accept for gospel what a dealer will try to tell you.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:07 AM   #7
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Your extended warrenty purchased seperately from the dealer may well exclude full time occupancy. That exclusion by some policies has been discussed in Trailer Life and Highways magazines over the last couple years. Check the language in your extended warrenty to be sure. If it does exclude full time occupancy, you can may be able to cancell the policy and get a prorated refund. If you keep the policy, just don't volunteer where you live.

Good luck. Glad to have you on the forum.
Gene

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:31 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have an extended warranty that covers us from 2000 to 2007 an no where did it say that the warranty was void if we lived in the rig full time. We've been full time (24/7, 365) and have been at Keystone for repairs and we told them we were full time (they would have been able to tell that we were) and they congratulated us on our lifestyle. I know that our rigs were not originally designed for full time (without the arctic pack, humidity, etc) and it says so in the literature. However I can find no place where it says the warranty is voided if we do live in it full time.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:14 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did research the full time issue and as Steve R says the book says something like they are not intended for or recommended for full time use.However many, many folks choose that life style in all brands of Rv's/ You may have to get a little creative to adapt to really cold or really hot weather..but it is doable..If we were to full time since these things have wheels we would always be in a place where it would be 70f by day and 50F by night...anybody know where that place is????? Please advise...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:19 AM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Rich
San Diego California or the general area.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote