Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2006, 05:01 AM   #1
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Overnighting at Rest Stops

Boss just asked me a question I couldn't answer -- nothing new there. In any case, he is picking up a smaller sister to our units (cougar) this weekend and is wondering what rules guide staying overnight at highway rest stops. Can't pick unit up until late in day and must be somewhere else mid-week so needs to travel. I thought I remembered seeing a web site that gave state rules but not in Glenn's list and don't get any hits using the search here. Thanks in advance.

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:47 AM   #2
Steve D

M.O.C. #3969
Each state seems to have different rules. I just did a google search on rest stop rules and got plenty. You can narrow the search down by listing the state first, then rest stop rules. Good luck.
Steve D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:17 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Cracker Barrels almost all have parking spots for RVs and we use them occasionally. They seem to be safer than rest stops.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:49 AM   #4
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Don't some Wal-Marts also have spots for RVs to stay overnight?

Back in the early 70s, my parents and I spent the night at many rest stops on the way back to Georgia from Canada, but I really would not feel safe doing that now.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Oh boy..I am sure each state has rules on the subject..However in the real world we have over nighted in rest areas in several states over the years. They are always full of 18 wheelers over nighting legal or not and we have never had a problem.In fact we have had some fairly good times.It is a good idea to ask one of the truckers that is over nighting at the rest area.They can probably tell you good or bad. One thing we did notice is that rest areas near large truck stops tend to be frequented by ''The ladies" and other "characters" so the stay can be quite interesting..we learned to stay clear of those..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:22 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That might be a good idea, Rich.

Skypilot, there must be trucker forums out there that you could get some reliable specific info on certain rest areas - the ones that would be RV friendly, as well as the ones that would be "lady" friendly (that might be putting that mildly), which I assume you would want to avoid???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:29 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have stayed in the rest area before, usually each state posts the overnite rules in each rest area. I would rather stay at a truck stop or Wal*mart parking lot, I find them to feel a little bit safer than out on the road.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:25 AM   #8
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
I think the pages in the T L Campground directory that deal with the various state laws have an entry that deals with overnighting in rest areas. I'm not home right now so I can't check. Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:48 AM   #9
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
richfaa

those "ladies" you refer to are called "LOT-LIZARDS"
as a driver myself I know this as fact.............woops uh well I HEARD OTHER DRIVERS say so......
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:07 AM   #10
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Appreciate the comments. Have passed them on just a few minutes ago -- he and his wife leave tomorrow to pu the 5er.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:47 AM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
mpl897,
That is perfect timing. Last night I went and fueled the truck while I was sitting in the truck waiting for the pump to become available I heard two drivers on the cb taking about the "lot lizards". I just sat there confused as heck, I had no idea what they were talking about, now I know. And I will sure be staying clear of the lizards. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:12 PM   #12
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
There's a small paperback book that we use to keep track while we're on the road. It's called "The Next Exit," and it gives all sorts of information about services and state laws It is updated yearly. Check it out at Amazon, at about $10.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:32 PM   #13
xea
Established Member

M.O.C. #5306
I don't know the "rules" but I do know that I have traveled from reno to canada and across to upstate NY and all points in between with no problems ever staying in rest areas. I sleep in a car or camper and I always find I am not the only one there sleeping. I always see trucker, as well as anything else from rv's to cars. I even saw a guy sleeping on one of the tables under a shelter (he had a bike)I figure if a cop were ever to question me I would tell them the truth that I was to tired to drive and felt the only safe thing to do was to pull over. I have never been questioned though. Some rest areas post rules, no camping, stay only 8 hrs. I have never seen one that had rules posted banning overnight stays. Some people may disagre with me but I am a woman and I feel as safe in a rest area as anywhere else. Honestly I figure if I am willing to risk driving all those miles, sleeping in a rest area is less likly to kill you so why not? (Not to say I would sleep in ones that make me uncomfortable but if there is a resonable amount of trafic in and out with others there I go for it.
xea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:04 AM   #14
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I found that the rest areas in Mississippi have 24 hr. security. correct me if I am wrong. If they do, then this would be something that other states could do on major travel routes. Maybe only offer security for the night time.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:50 AM   #15
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
In Florida alot of the Wal Mart's now prohibit overnight parking, some prohibit RV's PERIOD thanks to local and county governments. Most of the rest areas we tried to stop in on a trip a month or so ago between Florida and VA were jammed full. Some in GA and SC you could not even pull through with out having trouble getting through all the parked trucks and RV'ers.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:57 AM   #16
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
"The Next Exit" is also available at Camping World, I think
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:53 PM   #17
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Yes it is available at Camping World for about $14. Amazon is cheaper.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote