Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2020, 02:31 PM   #1
Cindy and Ray's Grand Tour
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21053
West Yellowstone in June

Hi all, We have reservations for 12 days in West Yellowstone (Grizzly RV Park) and are curious if anyone has any advice for the best way to see the park, especially the animals. I know it will be very crowded so was wondering if anyone had figured out some little tricks to make the trip more enjoyable. Also would like to know the best places to eat in town as well as side trips not in the park. Your input is appreciated.

Jacksonville, FL
Cindy and Ray's Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:37 PM   #2
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
Grizzly Park RV is VERY nice. We stayed there for about 6 days early July 2015. Close enough to walk to town which we did pretty much every night. Early morning or dusk a better time to see wild life. Also earlier better to beat THE RUSH of traffic about 8-10 A M .
Good lake fishing at Hebegen Lake. Continue on road past lake to an area called Quake Lake. An area which experienced a 7.2 earthquake 1959. Visitors center about that event.
Nevada City and Virginia City Montana about 90 miles from Grizzly RV. Mining towns with a lot of western American History. The two towns are close to each other with a Steam like train connects the two towns. Make this a day trip.
09 2955rl,5 Sailun 637 , Mor ryde wet bolt kit, 50 amp progressive hard wired surge protector, solar , 4-6 volt Interstate batteries, charge indicator, HD tow hitch ,2-2000w Honda generators, Back up camera,2015 F-350,6.7,
air bags,, 50 gallon Titan Pace Edwards bed cover, TST 507-FT
Keith Schweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:57 AM   #3
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
We left camp at 4:30 am to get over to the East side for wildlife viewing. Drive with your lights on high and go slower .
Talk with the rangers and they will give you ideas of where to be.
Packed a cooler with food and drinks.
Be ready to drive a lot !
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:12 AM   #4
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
I went a couple of years ago during the 3rd week of May. Some roads were still closed but the traffic was greatly reduced as compared to June levels. I was up everyday wrll before sunrise to get location that the animals had a history of traversing. Then again in the early evening. Avoided much of the tourist traffic but I was amongst a lot of the professional photographers.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:34 AM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
We always went into the park in the late afternoon as most others were coming out. This allows for good viewing of the sites, both geysers as well as animal life. Go earlier and you will just be waiting for parking spots to open and lots of tour busses to pick up the hordes that go this way. Keep eyes open for tourists that walk out on the ground around some of the geysers...couple broke through while we were there. Yeah instant dead stupid people.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:49 PM   #6
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I don’t think we will have all the ornamentals this year if the virus continues.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:54 AM   #7
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmitfl View Post
I don’t think we will have all the ornamentals this year if the virus continues.
Ouch
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:28 AM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
If first half of June, your hose may freeze! I stayed there once early and hose turned slushy. After about 10:00 it softened up and started working. So watch weather forecast and maybe disconnect at night.

Also gets windy a bit. I went to park for day and left my awning out (bad me). Got home and it had flopped around and jammed the ratchet thing. Finally got help at the office (step ladder and tools) and we got it to retract, but forever after the little lock lever (manual awning) was about 90 degrees of where it used to be!!!!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #9
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
We spent a week there in mid June 2018 and stayed East side in Cody. No problem with crowds in the NP except for Old Faithful and even that wasn't that bad.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:51 PM   #10
Ricos Ride
Established Member

M.O.C. #18095
Traffic at the west entrance starts back in up around 8:00 a.m. At some point it will be all the way back to the traffic light in West Yellowstone, bout 1/4 mile, so head in early or as suggested early afternoon. As mentioned the 20 mile trip out to quake lake visitor enter is interesting. There are pull outs with information along the way. Hebgen Lake bed actually tilted about 6”. From the quake Another nice side trip is Mesa Falls, Idaho, south of West Yellowstone nice place for a picnic. Start early and conttinue south to enter Jackson WY. From the west. Fantastic view of Jackson Hole from Teton Pass. Be aware, 10 % grade 5 miles either side from the top. Then you can drive north from Jackson through Grand Teton NP and enter Yellowstone and back out the west entrance. Makes for a long day but a very scenic one
Ricos Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:58 PM   #11
Jlp1701e

M.O.C. #23372
We spent a few days there in September 2019 and found that we had to enter the park around sunrise and sunset to avoid the crowds.
Jlp1701e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:41 PM   #12
Jeff W

M.O.C. #25599
Have fun

Don’t count on any great meals in the park, even if the menu sounds good. I highly recommend Buck’s T4 in Big Sky if you like game. I have had deer, elk, bison ribeye and pheasant there. If am doesn’t work, 5 till dusk is usually good for wildlife. There is a herd of Elk that come to Mammoth every night. In our trips, the best spot for Grizzlies has been between Tower Falls and Tower Junction. Even better for Grizzlies (and moose!) is Moose-Wilson road south of Teton Village in Jackson. Large herds of bison cross the road between Lake Yellowstone and Canyon Village. There were also a few bison hanging out near or in the Pelican Valley parking area every night when we stopped. For my money, best geyser is Lone Star Geyser. It’s about a 2 mile hike along an old road, fairly flat and very easy. We watched with less than 15 people, and within 25-50 feet. It erupts every 2 1/2 - 3 hours for about 30-40 minutes of differing intensities and heights up to 40 feet.
Jeff W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:59 PM   #13
cwalker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9730
Instead of just following the park map around we used the GyPSy Guide for Yellowstone/Grand Teton. You download it on your phone and as you drive around it gives you information about where you're going. For 10 bucks it was well worth it. We spent several days touring Yellowstone and there is a lot of driving, but all beautiful. Be prepared to sit in traffic any time there's a wildlife sighting. There are signs everywhere saying pull off the road and watch but evidently people can't read because they stop in the middle of the road. We packed a lunch each day and found a scenic place to stop and eat it. Unless you're around a visitor center cell service is pretty much non-existent. Went to Grand Teton one day but the weather was cold and rainy (just after Labor Day) so we need to go back and really see it. Put on your patience and have fun!
cwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:02 PM   #14
Lucky23
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlp1701e View Post
We spent a few days there in September 2019 and found that we had to enter the park around sunrise and sunset to avoid the crowds.
We were there in Sept also we stayed in Grand Tetons 5 days and then moved on to West Yellowstone I agree Elk herds in Mammoth got a great movie of big bull elk and also wife got a movie of sow grizzly with 2 of her cubs playing, a lot of Buffalo Herds in both Tetons and Yellowstone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040632.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	5612   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040634.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	5613   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040608.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	5614   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040636.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	5615  
Old 02-16-2020, 06:17 PM   #15
kjohn6363
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24081
Visit the Grizzly Bear and Wolf Discovery Center, outside the Park.
Use the bus to see most of the Park
Take a Ranger lead Tour.
Old Faithful, Mammoth Hot Springs, Tower Falls, Tower- Roosevelt, Lamar Valley
Lots to do and see.
Have fun
kjohn6363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:56 PM   #16
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
We always went into the park in the late afternoon as most others were coming out. This allows for good viewing of the sites, both geysers as well as animal life. Go earlier and you will just be waiting for parking spots to open and lots of tour busses to pick up the hordes that go this way. Keep eyes open for tourists that walk out on the ground around some of the geysers...couple broke through while we were there. Yeah instant dead stupid people.
The last thermal fatality I'm aware of in Yellowstone was 2016. I believe the closest to that one was back in 2006. 10 years earlier.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:23 PM   #17
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
The last thermal fatality I'm aware of in Yellowstone was 2016. I believe the closest to that one was back in 2006. 10 years earlier.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:18 AM   #18
SteveandTerri
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22227
West Yellowstone Points of Interest

My wife and I stayed at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone last August - very nice park. While there we went to the Playmill Theater and saw each of their 3 productions. Very entertaining... I've gone to the Playmill in the past and always enjoyed it. Other points of interest are the old Mining Towns in the area: Ennis and Virginia City, Montana. Ennis is a big Fly Fishing hub these days. Enjoy!
SteveandTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:58 PM   #19
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
We have stayed at Grizzly numerous times over the years and it is by far the most central place outside of the park itself. Log on and look at the road closures for this summer. It looks like it the road between Tower and Roosevelt will be closed so getting to the Lamar Valley you will have to go through Mammoth. This is a long way around so allow for a long day. The Johnny Sack cabin in Island Park Idaho, about 20 miles back from West Yellowstone, is a really neat place to visit. Enjoy!
Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:01 AM   #20
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
West Yellowstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon 2B snowbird View Post
Hi all, We have reservations for 12 days in West Yellowstone (Grizzly RV Park) and are curious if anyone has any advice for the best way to see the park, especially the animals. I know it will be very crowded so was wondering if anyone had figured out some little tricks to make the trip more enjoyable. Also would like to know the best places to eat in town as well as side trips not in the park. Your input is appreciated.
WE stayed in West Yellowstone KOA several years ago. WE went into the park through the West gate and made the circle around the park by car. It was an easy drive and lots to see. Be sure to visit the museum close to the place you are staying. it's interesting. The drive around the park is great for viewing the animals and other attractions. Would like to go back some time in the future. But time and age is against us. Enjoy your visit and watch out for the buffalo. I almost got run over by a big bull while taking pictures.
Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote