Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2016, 11:55 AM   #1
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
2011 Montana 3150RL Shower Door Not True

My Montana has approximately 68,000 miles on it. During my last 12,000 mile trip I noticed that the plastic sweep on the bottom of the shower door was torn. Applying a carpenter's square to the shower enclosure frame shows that it is true. Applying the square to the door shows that the latch side of the door is about 3/8" lower than the hinge side because the door is no longer true. This door is a full-frame door with the glass in what appears to be rubber molding that is part of the door frame. I have no idea how long the door has been like this. In its current condition, replacing the sweep on the bottom of the door will only result in the new sweep being torn because it drags on the bottom of the shower entrance opening. Is there a way to true the door without breaking the glass or damaging the frame? Any assistance will be appreciated.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I would doubt any thing has changed about your shower. The gasket has went bad from 68,000 miles of use. If it's leaking put new gasket on it. If not forget it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #3
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
You say gasket but I said sweep. Perhaps we are talking about the same thing. The sweep is a plastic strip that slides into a channel on the bottom of the shower door to fill the space between the bottom of the door and the shower enclosure door opening. My measurements with the carpenter's square makes me suspect that the door was not true from day one. Who would think they needed to check to see if a door was true on a new unit? The door is not leaking so long as we are careful to avoid directing the shower stream at the bottom of the door we are OK. Doing that causes water to splash out at the bottom. I did replace the sweep once only to have the new one fail within two weeks. If I am not able to find a way to true up the door, I'll get another sweep and cut it at an angle so that it does not have excessive contact with the shower frame when the door is opened and closed. I'm not really worried about water damage from splashing drops of water because we always place a towel on the floor right outside the shower to catch any splashes and to serve as a bath mat. Thanks for your feedback.
laverdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:57 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If you can use the shower the way it is, I think I would. You may do yourself more harm trying to fix it. I'm like you I lay a towel in front of the door to step out on and catch any escaping water anyway. To me this would be no big deal.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
My shower door is about the same as yours ... @ 1/4" out of square. We are seasonal campers and the sweep shows signs of wear on one end, but hasn't failed yet. We've always placed a towel in front of the shower as mentioned earlier. Don't check around your fiver with your carpenters square too much ... it'll sadden your holiday season.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:38 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
This sweep/gasket has been brought up several times here on the Forum. If I'm not mistaken, the recommendation by others was to remove the sweep/gasket from the top of the door and put it in the bottom. The other solution was to take the removed part to on of the big name stores(Menards, Home Depot, Lowe's or even possibly ACE Hardware) and they said they found this gasket/sweep material at one of them. It came in a longer piece and they just cut it to fit!

I just did a Search using the Search Engine above and keyed in Shower Door sweep and found 5-6 posts about it, one of which was this post. There is also a post on squaring up the door, I think!

Good luck and let us know what you come up with as your fix!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #7
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Thanks to all who have responded. I'm inclined to go with mlh and just keep using a towel on the floor. lol to dieselguy re not using the carpenter's square around the 5er too much. Same goes for almost any house more than a few years old. Rondo - as a temporary measure I did remove the sweep from the top of the door until I could get a replacement which I was able to do at Pierce RV in Billings, MT as I passed through there one day. I have looked at Lowe's Home Depot, Ace Hardware and several RV centers without success. While those places have sweep material, none of what I have found is a replacement for what I have.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #8
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Rondo - I did the search you suggested and saw what else is on this forum about this problem. When I first discovered this problem I too thought that maybe the top or bottom hinge pin for the door was out of position. Careful inspection and measurement proved that to be untrue. In this case, the shower door is actually not true as described by dieselguy. I did try a glass shop in town to get a replacement sweep but they did not have anything that matched. When I got the replacement from Pierce RV earlier this year I Googled the part number and found a place online that sold what appeared to be the exact item. Because I was just getting started on a 3-month trip I decided to wait until I got home to order the new sweep. Now when I Google the part number I find no matches for the sweep. I'll be calling Pierce RV tomorrow to see if they can get me a new sweep and ship it to me. I'll also go to my local glass shop to see it they can disassemble the existing door and reassemble it so that it is true. Depending on the cost to do that, I may conclude that it is good as is.