Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2020, 08:34 PM   #1
Poppa Den
Established Member

M.O.C. #27565
Side view cameras

Hello, I have a 331rl and am considering adding side marker light cameras. Anyone with experience good or bad. I have a rear mounted camera with 8 inch monitor.

Poppa Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:24 AM   #2
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Personally, I would not waste my $$. Bin driving/towing for over 40 years without needing a side camera. Every vehicle I have ever owned gets convex mirrors installed if they are not already there.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:34 AM   #3
Loui
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12538
Send a message via MSN to Loui
We have both the side and rear cameras, to be honest I rarely use the side camera's
I will use the side camera for the blind side from time to time while backing into a tight spot.
Loui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:53 AM   #4
grass man
Established Member

M.O.C. #24971
Exactly what Loui said. I have them and rarely worry about using them. When pulling into a site I use the non driver side just as an added extra look besides the mirror. If they were not in the package I bought (Legacy) I would never buy them.
grass man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:56 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
For my 2019 Christmas present, my wife and son went together and purchased me the Furrion side cameras. VERY shortly there after I installed them and been using them ever since. They work just fine now , once I understand some of their limitations and clean the pre-conceived cob-webs out of my mind.

Note: My HC 375FL came pre-wired for the Furrion system. (rear of trailer). I installed the 7 inch (the larger one) myself and had no issues at all. It is wired in so when the truck head lights are on, the camera is activated. Now fast forward to Christmas 2019.

Here's some of the problems I encountered and how I dealt with them.

First, the installation itself. To my lack of understanding, the new side camera are larger than the original amber colored side markers already installed on the trailer. Now matter what I did, it would require drilling new screw holes to mount.

I did go out to YouTube video and studied everything out before mounting and I'm glad I did. Had the side camera been placed directly as a replacement for the original side markers, the storage (pass through) basement door hinges would have interfered with the view of the camera.

To test this out, I did wire one in and taped it in place of the original side marker and sure enough, the storage door blocked too much of the view. I came up with a new plan. I left the original lights where they were and I positioned the new side cameras where there was nothing blocking their view. And this work just fine. I am glad I took the extra steps to make this happen.

I ended up mounting them directly above the original front marker lights, about 18 inch higher. So yes, I now have 2 front orange marker lights on the front of each side. But the camera has no obstructions.

Drilling new screw holes was no problem, and i just spliced into the existing wires that ran to the original marker lights. It worked out great.

Two:
The Furrion system is OK, if you realize not all cameras will stay turned on all the time. When you press the screen, all 3 cameras will display (left, right, rear), but it will only display for about 30 seconds and then the two side cameras will shut off. In this I was very disappointed. And Furrion designed it ths way. I've read other forums on other web sites and this is the biggest complaint about the Furrion side cameras. Now, you can turn on one side camera and leave it on. When activating all 3 at once, they stay up, but after about 30 seconds, the monitor will flip back to just the one view.

When does the side camera REALLY come in handy? When backing into a campsite, much more than on the road.

Would I get them again? Probably not, unless Furrion changes them so they stay active all the time.

Do they come in handy on the road? Yes, when turning corners, it helps see where the tail end of the trailer is actually swinging, especially on tight turns (when I remember to turn them on).

Hope this helps.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:09 AM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I bought the set that had the 2 side marker and the shark fin camera in the rear with the larger monitor too. As stated, they honestly are not all that useful. I do occasionally use them when changing lanes or making tight turns or in when backing into a site on the blind side. I find I don't use them as much as I thought I would. It has a "4-up" view that shows the rear and both sides along with a view for the over the door camera, which I do not have. Only problem is that the monitor will only stay on that view for a short while, then it reverts back to the rear view, which I guess is the default. It's odd, I can put it on any other single camera view and it will stay until I change it, but put it on the all cameras view and it will only stay for a few minutes before changing back to the rear. I read somewhere that this is by design, just not sure why. I think it would be much more helpful if I could see the full view around all the time and only switch to a single view when I need a better look.
I really do like being able to see vehicles approaching from the rear while driving. It has also scared the bejesus out of me when sleepy tractor trailer drivers come into my lane half way as they approach.
Just my $.02.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:17 AM   #7
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I can see where the cameras would be of help while backing into a site.
However I see them as just another driver distraction while trying to operate them while driving down the road.
People are using touch screen radio/GPS while driving, along with cell phones/TPMS/chip/monitor screens and now adding another device to look at simply makes your driving more distracted IMHO
Old 12-03-2020, 05:31 AM   #8
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I can see where the cameras would be of help while backing into a site.
However I see them as just another driver distraction while trying to operate them while driving down the road.
People are using touch screen radio/GPS while driving, along with cell phones/TPMS/chip/monitor screens and now adding another device to look at simply makes your driving more distracted IMHO
I have my Ford OEM trailer set up so it can be used as an observation Camera. It works like having a rear view mirror. It is no more a distraction than checking a rearview mirror. It also uses existing real estate so teh dash is less cluttered.

Truck has an optional view called trailer that displays the 2 mirror cameras. I only see that view when I hit on accident. Truck mirrors are so much better.

Agreed I think the side cameras would be helpful on the blind side when backing and turning
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:35 PM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
Personally, I would not waste my $$. Bin driving/towing for over 40 years without needing a side camera. Every vehicle I have ever owned gets convex mirrors installed if they are not already there.
Ditto. I've had side cameras on two motor homes, never used them. In the habit of using side cameras and that's what I did.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:06 PM   #10
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Agree with most of your statements and the others I’m neutral. I do like the idea of mounting above. Might do that but will see if it could be done on middle marker lights.

Thank you for well written input.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #11
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
I have them and they are ok for the blindside but the mirror is bigger and better when available. The camera that I will buy before next spring is the lower rear. That would be very useful.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:50 PM   #12
ejerni
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24555
side cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa Den View Post
Hello, I have a 331rl and am considering adding side marker light cameras. Anyone with experience good or bad. I have a rear mounted camera with 8 inch monitor.

We had the side ones put on when we were buying our 3791rd. They hooked up 3 times in a year and half. Other wise they don't work very well

Liz
ejerni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #13
Juled0822

M.O.C. #24448
Like mine

Rather have them and not need 'em. I use mine on busy highways and backing. To each their own.
Juled0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:46 PM   #14
tkkmcjo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25912
If your looking at a Furrion system, DON"T DO IT! I spent a lot of money to have one (3 cameras) installed. It has never worked right. All three cameras keep losing the signal. I have been round and round for 9 months with Furrion and my dealer. They keep having me try new and different "fixes" that don't work! 3 months from warranty expiring. Now the fight switches from getting the cameras to work, to having all of them removed and getting my money back! They don't want to do that either! It's been a total disaster!
tkkmcjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:58 PM   #15
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkkmcjo View Post
If your looking at a Furrion system, DON"T DO IT! I spent a lot of money to have one (3 cameras) installed. It has never worked right. All three cameras keep losing the signal. I have been round and round for 9 months with Furrion and my dealer. They keep having me try new and different "fixes" that don't work! 3 months from warranty expiring. Now the fight switches from getting the cameras to work, to having all of them removed and getting my money back! They don't want to do that either! It's been a total disaster!
Revert back to post #2. My convex mirrors have been flawless for over 40 years of driving without an accident, ever. Knock on wood!!!
Old 12-04-2020, 07:23 PM   #16
tkkmcjo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25912
Quote:
Revert back to post #2. My convex mirrors have been flawless for over 40 years of driving without an accident, ever. Knock on wood!!!

Yep, live and learn! I'm pretty much done with Furrion and their cameras. (And their "customer service"). I fell for gadgets, but there is no substitute for a good set of mirrors! Safe travels!
tkkmcjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:59 PM   #17
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Mine work flawlessly, so I imagine some folks may not have this experience but it is very possible that they work just fine.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:52 PM   #18
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
[QUOTE=DutchmenSport;1205457]
Two:
The Furrion system is OK, if you realize not all cameras will stay turned on all the time. When you press the screen, all 3 cameras will display (left, right, rear), but it will only display for about 30 seconds and then the two side cameras will shut off. In this I was very disappointed. And Furrion designed it ths way. I've read other forums on other web sites and this is the biggest complaint about the Furrion side cameras. Now, you can turn on one side camera and leave it on. When activating all 3 at once, they stay up, but after about 30 seconds, the monitor will flip back to just the one view.

I purchased an installed the Furrion system just under 2 years ago. I have the rear blade camera and the 2 side marker light cameras..I ran separate power wires to all my cameras. I didn't want to have to turn my light on to use them. But the main reason was I also use them as security cameras when I a parked at my campsite . But that is a whole other thread.

To your second point about the display..
Furrion was in the process of updating the software in their displays about the time I purchased mine (2 years ago). Before the update you were able to display and keep all 4 camera views on the screen as a choice. All the paper work and videos I watched, before I purchased mine, showed that you could view all 4 cameras at once..
But after I purchased and installed my system I powered it up and just like yours it would display all cameras for 30 seconds and revert to one camera. So I though my display was defective. I called Furrion and told them what was happening and that's is when they told me that is the updated software that they are putting in the displays. It only allows you to view one camera after 30 seconds.
Well I told them that I wasn't happy about it. Since they just started to update the software in the displays I asked them if they had any displays in stock that still had the old software? He checked and told my yes they did. So they swapped out my display for one that had the old software where I can view all 4 cameras at the same time.....
Give Furrion a call. If a lot of people are complaining about it maybe they still have the old software that they could load in your display?
DmaxDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:06 PM   #19
jdarwin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21728
I agree with most posters here. Save your money. The 3 camera system came on our 2019 3931FB. I rarely if ever use the side cameras. I’ve positioned my mirrors to cover those blind spots. I use the rear camera a lot. I find it helpful when backing up and when changing lanes.

When we purchased the rig, the right side camera lens was out of focus. The dealer/Keystone replaced it. About a year later that camera quit working. I called Furrion and they sent me a new replacement. I did the swap myself. It works fine.

I don’t have a problem with the monitor switching back to the 3 camera position. When it first comes on, it shows all 3 cameras. Once I select the rear camera it stays on that position until I change it.

For me, I’ve come to rely on the rear camera but not the others.
Member #21728
2019 3931FB
2017 F350 6.7 Powerstroke SRW
B&W Companion Slider 20K
jdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote